From: Paul Furman on
On 6/11/2010 4:03 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)

These first two are good. The XSi looks noisier... different sharpening,
noise reduction, and the first is exposed bright, with the background
blown to white... which looks good but second doesn't have whites so may
be a bit underexposed, relatively... or not...

From: Dudley Hanks on

"krishnananda" <krishna(a)divine-life.in.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <SgzQn.6426$Z6.5712(a)edtnps82>,
> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)
>>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast loading)
>>
>> Just a few shots of some flowers...
>>
>> The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second.
>> There
>> could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a semi-decent
>> pic.
>>
>> The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the
>> other
>> at ISO 100.
>>
>> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>>
>> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
>> would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> Dudly,
>
> Surprisingly low noise overall -- in fact all three images are virtually
> noise-free. I really like the way you are playing with a dark foreground
> (the flowers) against a relatively light background. You've accomplished
> this (#1, #2) very well as none of the flower details are blocked up.
>
> #1 has beautiful rendition of the differing textures in the flower
> petals. I recommend the full size image for best viewing.
>
> THe single orchid (?) in #3 could use a few focus-bracket shots because
> the in-focus part in the center is almost overwhelmed by the large
> out-of-focus area closer to the lens. I say almost because it is an
> intriguing point of view & I like the composition, especially the
> abstraction of the flower petals in and out of focus.
>
> On a personal note I am now developing a cataract in my right
> (non-dominant) eye & have had retinal surgery in my left. I really
> appreciate the way you have stuck with photography & are constantly
> experimenting to keep it meaningful for you and those of us intrigued by
> how others view the world.

Thanks, Krishnananda,I appreciate your taking the time to help me.

I wasn't trying for anything too fancy with the composition, just wanted to
get a relatively wide exposure latitude to see how the two cams compared all
the way from shadow detail to brighter highlights.

I didn't take the same pic with each cam, as I wasn't interested in which
cam is best overall, just wanted to see if they could produce acceptable
images in a similar situation.

Sorry to hear you're having cataract problems. On the bright side, though,
cataract surgery is a lot less of an ordeal than it used to be. I know of a
few individuals who've ended up with pretty decent vision after having their
lenses replaced.

Hope it doesn't slow your photographic endeavors ...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Dudley Hanks on

"otter" <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jun 11, 6:03 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full
> size)http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full
> size)http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full
> size)http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast
>
> Just a few shots of some flowers...
>
> The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second. There
> could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a semi-decent
> pic.
>
> The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the
> other
> at ISO 100.
>
> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>
> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Hey, Dudley, these are actually quite pleasant to look at. Maybe not
art gallery
quality, but pretty good. At least the first 2, anyway. The third one
just isn't a keeper,
in my opinion. But with some recomposing...

If you want to compare the SX120 to the XSi, probably should try to
duplicate the
same shot with each. But the images from both cameras look good to
me, at least
at this resolution on the web.

Thanks, Otter, appreciate the feedback...

I wasn't really trying for an in depth comparison of the two. Given the
difference in sensor size, the XSi should come out on top, all things being
equal...

I was more interested in finding out if the SX120 can produce acceptable
results in a basic situation, as well as getting a bit of framing practice
with both.

I'm hoping to do a bit of freelance work later this summer, and there's
going to be times when I won't want to lug the DSLR around, so I bought the
SX120 hoping it can do the basics. It actually has been better than I'd
hoped, as long as you're not looking for blistering speed... :)

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> On 6/11/2010 4:03 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> These first two are good. The XSi looks noisier... different sharpening,
> noise reduction, and the first is exposed bright, with the background
> blown to white... which looks good but second doesn't have whites so may
> be a bit underexposed, relatively... or not...
>

>> The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second.
>> There
>> could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a semi-decent
>> pic.
>>
>> The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the
>> other
>> at ISO 100.
>>
>> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>>
>> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
>> would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley

Thanks, Paul, that info helps a lot...

I shot the pic with the SX120 bright on low ISO and the second darker with
the XSi at higher ISO as I set the XSi' high ISO noise level as the lowest
level I'd be comfortable with. I figured that if the SX120 was the same or
better, then it should be alright at low ISO speeds for basic pics.

It sounds like it meets that test...

Once again, thanks for the info. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Pete" <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-12 00:03:14 +0100, Dudley Hanks said:
>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)
>>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast loading)
>>
>> Just a few shots of some flowers...
>>
>> The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second.
>> There could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a
>> semi-decent pic.
>>
>> The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the
>> other at ISO 100.
>>
>> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>>
>> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
>> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Vast difference in quality. The first one makes me think I should give up
> photography and find another hobby. The only noise I noticed was me
> getting upset!
>
> As always, thanks for sharing.
>
> --
> Pete

Sorry, Pete, didn't want to anger anybody with the shots... Was just
playing around with my cams and a nice flower arrangement. Was curious how
folks would rate the pics of each compared to the others...

BTW, don't give up photography just yet, you're one of my favorite
posters...

Take Care,
Dudley