From: Peter on
"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> Just a few shots of some flowers...
>
> The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second. There
> could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a semi-decent
> pic.
>
> The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the
> other at ISO 100.
>
> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>
> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
> would be greatly appreciated.

1 like 1. If has a nice soft feel to it.

OTOH in 2 & 3 you seem to have an exposure problem.

--
Peter

From: David Ruether on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message

> 1 like 1. If has a nice soft feel to it.

I also like this one a lot.

> OTOH in 2 & 3 you seem to have an exposure problem. --
> Peter

I agree - they are somewhat too dark...
--DR

From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 01:08:56 +0100, Pete
<available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:
: On 2010-06-12 00:03:14 +0100, Dudley Hanks said:
:
: > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
: > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
: >
[...]
: Vast difference in quality. The first one makes me think I should give
: up photography and find another hobby. The only noise I noticed was me
: getting upset!
:
: As always, thanks for sharing.

The third one is OOF in all the wrong places, but all the second one needs is
a bit of brightening. Maybe fill flash with a diffuser. You *might* even be
able to brighten it enough in PP without washing out the background too much.

Like Pete, I didn't see any noise. If there's any there, it's beyond the
resolution of my monitor.

Bob
From: Dudley Hanks on

"Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 01:08:56 +0100, Pete
> <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:
> : On 2010-06-12 00:03:14 +0100, Dudley Hanks said:
> :
> : > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
> : > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast
> : >
> : > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
> : > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast
> : >
> : > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)
> : > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast
> : >
> : > Just a few shots of some flowers...
> : >
> : > The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second.
> : > There could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a
> : > semi-decent pic.
> : >
> : > The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the
> : > other at ISO 100.
> : >
> : > I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
> : >
> : > As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my
> attention
> : > would be greatly appreciated.
> :
> : Vast difference in quality. The first one makes me think I should give
> : up photography and find another hobby. The only noise I noticed was me
> : getting upset!
> :
> : As always, thanks for sharing.
>
> The third one is OOF in all the wrong places, but all the second one needs
> is
> a bit of brightening. Maybe fill flash with a diffuser. You *might* even
> be
> able to brighten it enough in PP without washing out the background too
> much.
>
> Like Pete, I didn't see any noise. If there's any there, it's beyond the
> resolution of my monitor.
>
> Bob

Thanks, Bob, appreciate your thoughts.

I will probably reshoot the XSi shots using a reflector.

One of the tricks I've learned from the purchase of the SX120 is that I can
use the XSi Live View as a kind of crude light meter...

In the SX120, the display normally shows what the camera thinks is the
proper exposure. But, when you do a half-press of the shutter release, the
image shows the effects of the settings selected.

Thus, if I've set exposure comp for an under-exposure, or the manual
settings yield a dark image, the display goes dark on the half press --
brighter for an over-exposure.

For me, this is much more effective than a little icon blinking away in the
corner, as I can discern the quick change of brightness on the screen.

While the XSi does not give me that feature, I can approximate it by using
the mode dial.

If, for instance, I have the exposure comp set to zero, the Live View
displayed will be the base line. Then, by switching the mode dial to
manual, I can figure out if the manual exposure is too bright or too dark.

Coupling the mode switching "light meter" with counting clicks of the
command dial, I'm as close now as I've ever been to fairly comprehensive
control of the images I produce.

Beauty truly is in the mind of the beholder...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Tim Conway on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> Just a few shots of some flowers...
>
> The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second. There
> could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a semi-decent
> pic.
>
> The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the
> other at ISO 100.
>
> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>
> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
> would be greatly appreciated.

I like the composition and dreamyness of the first one. The second is too
centered for me. The third is too dark. I didn't notice any noise. Thanks
for sharing.