From: Dudley Hanks on
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast loading)

Just a few shots of some flowers...

The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second. There
could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a semi-decent
pic.

The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the other
at ISO 100.

I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...

As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message news:...
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> Just a few shots of some flowers...
>
> The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second. There
> could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a semi-decent
> pic.
>
> The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the
> other at ISO 100.
>
> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>
> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
> would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, forgot to mention the two XSi shots were tripod mounted, using my 75
300mm lens...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-12 00:03:14 +0100, Dudley Hanks said:

> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> Just a few shots of some flowers...
>
> The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second.
> There could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a
> semi-decent pic.
>
> The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the
> other at ISO 100.
>
> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>
> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
> would be greatly appreciated.

Vast difference in quality. The first one makes me think I should give
up photography and find another hobby. The only noise I noticed was me
getting upset!

As always, thanks for sharing.

--
Pete

From: krishnananda on
In article <SgzQn.6426$Z6.5712(a)edtnps82>,
"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:

> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> Just a few shots of some flowers...
>
> The first one was taken with the SX120 -- hand held at 1/5 second. There
> could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a semi-decent
> pic.
>
> The other two pics were taken with the XSi -- one at ISO 1600 and the other
> at ISO 100.
>
> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>
> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Dudly,

Surprisingly low noise overall -- in fact all three images are virtually
noise-free. I really like the way you are playing with a dark foreground
(the flowers) against a relatively light background. You've accomplished
this (#1, #2) very well as none of the flower details are blocked up.

#1 has beautiful rendition of the differing textures in the flower
petals. I recommend the full size image for best viewing.

THe single orchid (?) in #3 could use a few focus-bracket shots because
the in-focus part in the center is almost overwhelmed by the large
out-of-focus area closer to the lens. I say almost because it is an
intriguing point of view & I like the composition, especially the
abstraction of the flower petals in and out of focus.

On a personal note I am now developing a cataract in my right
(non-dominant) eye & have had retinal surgery in my left. I really
appreciate the way you have stuck with photography & are constantly
experimenting to keep it meaningful for you and those of us intrigued by
how others view the world.
From: otter on
On Jun 11, 6:03 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1.jpg (full size)http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower1Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2.jpg (full size)http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower2Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3.jpg (full size)http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/Flower3Small.jpg (fast loading)
>
> Just a few shots of some flowers...
>
> The first one was taken with the SX120 --  hand held at 1/5 second.  There
> could be some shake, but I'm hoping it's steady enough for a semi-decent
> pic.
>
> The other two pics were taken with the XSi --  one at ISO 1600 and the other
> at ISO 100.
>
> I'm curious if there is much difference in the noise levels...
>
> As always, anything you think important enough to bring to my attention
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Hey, Dudley, these are actually quite pleasant to look at. Maybe not
art gallery
quality, but pretty good. At least the first 2, anyway. The third one
just isn't a keeper,
in my opinion. But with some recomposing...

If you want to compare the SX120 to the XSi, probably should try to
duplicate the
same shot with each. But the images from both cameras look good to
me, at least
at this resolution on the web.