From: Ray Fischer on
Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4b2c3837$0$1619
>> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>"I, (whomever) will not post sized-reduced shots when attempting to
>>>demonstrate noise-handling characteristics of cameras. Because I know
>>>that it means absolutely NOTHING when I do. Further, I will NOT post
>>>shots concerning noise when I leave Photo Shops default 25% chroma
>>>noise reduction ON during raw processing!"
>>
>> Similarly, the materials used to construct the camera have nothing to
>> do with the quality of the images it produces.
>>
>> Right?
>
>I'd agree with that except for two possible exceptions.

One standard for Rich and another for everybody else.

> Some users of
>Nikon's D80 and D90 have reported intermittent focusing issues with
>heavier lenses like the 17-55mm.

Total non sequitur.

> This could very well be the result of

Where did you get your degree in engineering?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: RichA on

nospam wrote:
> In article <s6qdna7SpdE_3bHWnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Rich
> <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd agree with that except for two possible exceptions. Some users of
> > Nikon's D80 and D90 have reported intermittent focusing issues with
> > heavier lenses like the 17-55mm. This could very well be the result of
> > body flexture since no other cause has been isolated and the same problem
> > has not been seen with the D300. But, not many D90 owners are willing to
> > pay for a 17-55mm so the problem is not a hugely important one.
>
> nonsense. the chassis is metal.

What's it anchored to? Plastic.

> > Second,
> > plastic bodies, black ones, heat up much faster and hotter than black
> > metal bodies when exposed to the sun.
>
> metal will heat up and conduct it to the internals of the camera faster
> than plastic will.

Conducts heat better yes, heats up faster, no and not as hot. I've
tested this. Paint or anodizing on a metal surface (black) does not
absorb IR as much as black molded plastic used for camera bodies does.
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4b2c3837$0$1619
> $742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net:

> Second,
> plastic bodies, black ones, heat up much faster and hotter than black
> metal bodies when exposed to the sun. This can lead to higher noise
> levels due to the temperature of the sensor being higher,

Or it might the base that while black plastic bodies acquire a high
surface temperature faster than black metal bodies due to their low
thermal conductivity, the sensor inside will be at a lower temperature
due again to the low thermal conductivity. After a long time both
plastic and metal bodies of the same colour would end up the same
temperature all the way through, including the sensor, but that would
take much longer to happen with the plastic body.

BTW, if the higher sensor temperature would give rise to noise
problems, then using your DSLR to take video is really going to mess
things up isn't it?

--
Chris Malcolm
From: bugbear on
RichA wrote:
> "I, (whomever) will not post sized-reduced shots when attempting to
> demonstrate noise-handling characteristics of cameras. Because I know
> that it means absolutely NOTHING when I do. Further, I will NOT post
> shots concerning noise when I leave Photo Shops default 25% chroma
> noise reduction ON during raw processing!"

Aren't you the idiot who competely misinterpreted
the noise in a sub-sampled G10 shot?

BugBear
From: egbert_no_bacon on
On Dec 20, 10:55 am, bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> > "I, (whomever) will not post sized-reduced shots when attempting to
> > demonstrate noise-handling characteristics of cameras.  Because I know
> > that it means absolutely NOTHING when I do.  Further, I will NOT post
> > shots concerning noise when I leave Photo Shops default 25% chroma
> > noise reduction ON during raw processing!"
>
> Aren't you the idiot who competely misinterpreted
> the noise in a sub-sampled G10 shot?
>
>    BugBear

g10

is that good also?