From: Bob Larter on
On 20/12/2009 9:55 PM, bugbear wrote:
> RichA wrote:
>> "I, (whomever) will not post sized-reduced shots when attempting to
>> demonstrate noise-handling characteristics of cameras. Because I know
>> that it means absolutely NOTHING when I do. Further, I will NOT post
>> shots concerning noise when I leave Photo Shops default 25% chroma
>> noise reduction ON during raw processing!"
>
> Aren't you the idiot who competely misinterpreted
> the noise in a sub-sampled G10 shot?

I thought that was the P&S Troll. (Admittedly, I wouldn't be surprised
if RichA did it as well...)

From: Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up. on
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 00:30:30 +1100, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 20/12/2009 9:55 PM, bugbear wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>>> "I, (whomever) will not post sized-reduced shots when attempting to
>>> demonstrate noise-handling characteristics of cameras. Because I know
>>> that it means absolutely NOTHING when I do. Further, I will NOT post
>>> shots concerning noise when I leave Photo Shops default 25% chroma
>>> noise reduction ON during raw processing!"
>>
>> Aren't you the idiot who competely misinterpreted
>> the noise in a sub-sampled G10 shot?
>
>I thought that was the P&S Troll. (Admittedly, I wouldn't be surprised
>if RichA did it as well...)

Bob Larter's legal name: Lionel Lauer
Home news-group, an actual group in the "troll-tracker" hierarchy:
alt.kook.lionel-lauer (established on, or before, 2004)
Registered Description: "the 'owner of several troll domains' needs a group where he'll stay on topic."

<http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&num=10&as_ugroup=alt.kook.lionel-lauer>

"Results 1 - 10 of about 2,170 for group:alt.kook.lionel-lauer."
From: Paul Furman on
John Sheehy wrote:
> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:72119278-6bf3-43d0-913e-
> e1ebc2685f35(a)c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:
>
>> "I, (whomever) will not post sized-reduced shots when attempting to
>> demonstrate noise-handling characteristics of cameras. Because I know
>> that it means absolutely NOTHING when I do.
>
> I can understand the sentiment here, especially when the Exposure indices
> are not especially high. but when we start talking about ISOs of 50K and
> greater on high MP cameras, we're not talking about somethiong where large
> images are expected. Web-sized images, for journalistic purposes and small
> prints, are what we are using these super-high-ISO shots for, in general.
>
> Here's my 7D at ISO 3200, under-exposed 4 stops, for ISO 50K:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/118813835/original

Well done.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: Rich on
John Sheehy <JPS(a)no.komm> wrote in

> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:72119278-6bf3-43d0-913e-
> e1ebc2685f35(a)c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:
>
>> "I, (whomever) will not post sized-reduced shots when attempting to
>> demonstrate noise-handling characteristics of cameras. Because I
>> know that it means absolutely NOTHING when I do.
>
> I can understand the sentiment here, especially when the Exposure
> indices are not especially high. but when we start talking about ISOs
> of 50K and greater on high MP cameras, we're not talking about
> somethiong where large images are expected. Web-sized images, for
> journalistic purposes and small prints, are what we are using these
> super-high-ISO shots for, in general.
>
> Here's my 7D at ISO 3200, under-exposed 4 stops, for ISO 50K:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/118813835/original
>
> You can't do that with a 10D, even a 5D (without banding). You can't
> do that with any Olympus or Pentax. You can't do that with the older
> Nikons, like the D200 or D2X.
>
> So, I would say there is some value in showing small images - *IF* it
> actually means something.

The bird shot looks pretty good. There can be some value in showing any
image, at any size. But, not to illustrate noise control or resolution.
If I were to simply take that shot at face value, I'd say, yes, it looks
like 6400 ISO on a D300. But that would be at 100%. Knowing that is a
reduced-size crop, I have no way of actually understanding how noise
looks in the camera for comparative purposes. I'd literally need another
shot, taking at the same exposure levels with a camera I did know in
order to determine what the Canon's actual noise levels were.
From: Chrlz on
(Inappropriately re-cross-posted, seeing he is ignoring me...)

On Dec 24, 8:00 pm, Chrlz <mark.thoma...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 7:18 pm, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > metal will heat up and conduct it to the internals of the camera faster
> > > than plastic will.
>
> > Conducts heat better yes, heats up faster, no and not as hot.  I've
> > tested this.  Paint or anodizing on a metal surface (black) does not
> > absorb IR as much as black molded plastic used for camera bodies does.
>
> OK, Rich, I CALL.  Please post all the details of your 'test'.
>
> After all, this goes to the core of your credibility here...
>
> I *do* hope it was done correctly and scientifically.

So Rich, this was a post and run, then?

You are not coming back to tell us about your test?

Just a reminder - you said:

"I'VE TESTED THIS."

...while referring to thermal effects on images taken on metal v.
plastic cameras.

So now, I'm asking you to back that up. Tell us all about the test.