From: polymod on

> > "larrymcg" <larry_mcgowan(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> I am happy using the FireFTP extension for Firefox. I used to use the
> >> free standalone program WS_FTP95 LE but it's more convenient to do the
> >> FTP right out of a tab in Firefox.
> >> --Larry
> >
> > Thanks Larry. I think I saw the standalone version as a download
somewhere.
> > I'll check it out.
> >
> > Appreciate the help.
> >
> > Larry :-)
>
> If you can't find WS let me know. I have it.

Thanks Steve. I have it and it's working great.

Poly

From: polymod on

"Ricky Hunt" <rhunt22(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> > In news:48b0272e$0$7342$607ed4bc(a)cv.net the killer robot "polymod"
> > <polymod(a)optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> > cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
> >
> > What bullshit. I use WS_FTP95LE, which I believe is this same file.
> >
> > http://www.pagematic.com/faq/ws_ftp.html
>
> That's what I use too. Or just plain old Windows sometimes if I don't need
> anything fancy. For those who don't know you can just type in
> ftp://upload.mchsi.com (or ftp://100.200. etc.) in IE. It will handle most
> FTP needs but I still use WS FTP95LE most of the time.

Thanks Ricky.
Hey, I tried that first link in Windows, but nuthin' happens. Just a
flashlight looking indefinitely :)
How do I do this in plain old windows?

TIA
Poly

From: Dave Mazza on
I discovered the same thing a few weeks ago. The idea that I can't continue
to use the version I'd been using is BS. Especially since the current deal
is that you have to buy a limited-time license. I started looking for
alternatives, tried a couple, but I didn't like them, and still haven't
resolved the issue. I dl'ed the Firefox extension, but haven't tried it,
yet.

I really liked SmartFTP--very easy to use I/F. Much better than the other
apps I tried before and after settling on SmartFTP. What version are you
using, that allows you to use it w/out being hijacked into upgrading to a
newer build?

From: polymod on

"Dave Mazza" <dave.mNoSPAM(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I discovered the same thing a few weeks ago. The idea that I can't
continue
> to use the version I'd been using is BS. Especially since the current
deal
> is that you have to buy a limited-time license. I started looking for
> alternatives, tried a couple, but I didn't like them, and still haven't
> resolved the issue. I dl'ed the Firefox extension, but haven't tried it,
> yet.

I've used it a lot and it works fine. I like the look of SmartFTP, but at
this point all I need it for is to drag files to my site and sharing large
files. So for what I need it does the trick.

> I really liked SmartFTP--very easy to use I/F. Much better than the other
> apps I tried before and after settling on SmartFTP. What version are you
> using, that allows you to use it w/out being hijacked into upgrading to a
> newer build?

Version 1.0
I've never upgraded on my older computer using Win98. So I still had all the
files. I didn't actually *install* the program, I just copied the files and
for some reason it worked :-)
I also tried uninstalling the latest version and installing 2.5 which I
liked, but no go. It just wouldn't open even after a gazillion opening
screenshots. Version 1 is the only one that will fully open on all my
computers.

Poly

From: Sue Morton on
Poly, did you type that command into the IE (Internet Explorer) URL address
line? That's where it needs to go. If you want to do it from "Windows
Explorer" (not browser) you might need to enable the option (semantics vary
with IE flavor) "enable FTP folder view" in the IE advanced options tab.

Just checked, ftp://upload.mchsi.com doesn't seem to be responding at the
moment.

Try this one in IE instead :-p
ftp://smartftp.com/
--
Sue Morton

polymod wrote:
>> That's what I use too. Or just plain old Windows sometimes if I
>> don't need anything fancy. For those who don't know you can just
>> type in ftp://upload.mchsi.com (or ftp://100.200. etc.) in IE. It
>> will handle most FTP needs but I still use WS FTP95LE most of the
>> time.
>
> Thanks Ricky.
> Hey, I tried that first link in Windows, but nuthin' happens. Just a
> flashlight looking indefinitely :)
> How do I do this in plain old windows?
>
> TIA
> Poly