From: polymod on
For years I've used, and have been happy with a free program called
SmartFTP.
Yesterday this program wouldn't work on all 3 computers and I was taken to
their website with this message:

"Unfortunately, after offering a free product and a free service to millions
of users for more than 10 years we are no longer able to do so. We would
like to thank you for using SmartFTP and we hope to welcome you as a
customer in the future. Thank you for your understanding."

Bull-Cockie.
They're making an existing program on my machine(s) to not work so I can
purchase the license. I think this stinks. I could see if it were a new
release but to render older software useless after YEARS of use is bullshit.

So I found an older version amongst my files and it does work.....for free.
But it's an older build with a few nats and niggles....but it DOES work.
I've also found a few more old versions on the net, but I'm a little leery
about their source.
Any recommendations of free FTP programs out there that you're happy with?

TIA

Poly

From: larrymcg on

I am happy using the FireFTP extension for Firefox. I used to use the
free standalone program WS_FTP95 LE but it's more convenient to do the
FTP right out of a tab in Firefox.

--Larry
From: R. Lamar Duffy on
Poly,

<<For years I've used, and have been happy with a free program called
SmartFTP.
Yesterday this program wouldn't work on all 3 computers and I was taken to
their website with this message:
"Unfortunately, after offering a free product and a free service to millions
of users for more than 10 years we are no longer able to do so.>>

I recently discovered the same thing. I still have an older version (2.5)
on several computers that still works, though they've all had a nagging
problem for over a year: when you start them, you get the upgrade nag
screen. You dismiss it, & the program doesn't boot. You have to go through
this multiple times, but eventually the program DOES start.

<<Any recommendations of free FTP programs out there that you're happy
with?>>

It's not free, but I've been using Directory Opus http://www.gpsoft.com./ as
a file manager, Explorer replacement. Great for syncing files to a thumb
drive, better search tools, multiple choices in appearance preferences, etc,
& FTP is included as well. Well worth the cost for me.

And, if you're a previous user of Explorer Plus (or think you might have
been, in a previous life, or knew someone who was...), see these
instructions to get Directory Opus at about half price:

---------
We hope you will download a full trial of Directory Opus 9.0 and try it
yourself and. To allow you sufficient time to do this, we have extended the
trial period to 60 days.

To install the Directory Opus 9 trial, click on the appropriate URLs below

32-bit for XP/Vista http://downloads.wugnet.com/dopus/dopus32.exe

64-bit (Vista) http://downloads.wugnet.com/dopus/dopus64.exe

---------

Cheers,

Lamar

From: polymod on

"R. Lamar Duffy" <rldmdN0SPAM(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Poly,
>
> <<For years I've used, and have been happy with a free program called
> SmartFTP.
> Yesterday this program wouldn't work on all 3 computers and I was taken to
> their website with this message:
> "Unfortunately, after offering a free product and a free service to
millions
> of users for more than 10 years we are no longer able to do so.>>
>
> I recently discovered the same thing. I still have an older version (2.5)
> on several computers that still works, though they've all had a nagging
> problem for over a year: when you start them, you get the upgrade nag
> screen. You dismiss it, & the program doesn't boot. You have to go
through
> this multiple times, but eventually the program DOES start.

Yep...same here. Although I had to go back to version 1 to get it to work.
It seems to be working fine on all 3 computers....so far.

> <<Any recommendations of free FTP programs out there that you're happy
> with?>>
> It's not free, but I've been using Directory Opus http://www.gpsoft.com./
as
> a file manager, Explorer replacement. Great for syncing files to a thumb
> drive, better search tools, multiple choices in appearance preferences,
etc,
> & FTP is included as well. Well worth the cost for me.
>
> And, if you're a previous user of Explorer Plus (or think you might have
> been, in a previous life, or knew someone who was...), see these
> instructions to get Directory Opus at about half price:
>
> ---------
> We hope you will download a full trial of Directory Opus 9.0 and try it
> yourself and. To allow you sufficient time to do this, we have extended
the
> trial period to 60 days.
>
> To install the Directory Opus 9 trial, click on the appropriate URLs below
>
> 32-bit for XP/Vista http://downloads.wugnet.com/dopus/dopus32.exe
>
> 64-bit (Vista) http://downloads.wugnet.com/dopus/dopus64.exe

Thanks for all the info Lamar. I'll certainly check it out, but I'm really
just looking for FTP. Hence the reasoning for not wanting to spend any $ for
something I've been using free for years :)

Thanks again
Poly

From: polymod on

"larrymcg" <larry_mcgowan(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I am happy using the FireFTP extension for Firefox. I used to use the
> free standalone program WS_FTP95 LE but it's more convenient to do the
> FTP right out of a tab in Firefox.
> --Larry

Thanks Larry. I think I saw the standalone version as a download somewhere.
I'll check it out.

Appreciate the help.

Larry :-)

 |  Next  |  Last