From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 07/02/2010 21:19, in article hkn782$3lh$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
"DanielleOM" <danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote:

> When I watch a friend mix I find I see all of the mixer frequency settings
> turned down to about the same spot at 9 o'clock.
>
> This seems counter intuitive to me. I keep thinking this is like just
> turning the levels down since all seem to be turned almost equally. I
> normally keep them at 12 o'clock with very minor tweaks in one direction or
> the other.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Yes: every EQ band has a centre frequency and a bandwidth (aka Q). It's
either shelving or peaking. If it's peaking, it will have a bell-shape,
whose centre is at the centre frequency, and whose width is determined by
it's Q.

What that means is that turning down all the EQ knobs will result in a
rather wavy shaped EQ curve. If you would just turn the levels down, the
curve would stay flat.

Ask your friend why he does it. Maybe he has a good reason. It seems odd,
but then I have seen odder things where it turned out that there was a
perfectly reasonable explanation for them.

How does your friends mix sound?

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Bigguy on
On 08/02/2010 09:39, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 21:19, in article hkn782$3lh$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> "DanielleOM"<danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote:
>

>> When I watch a friend mix I find I see all of the mixer frequency settings
>> turned down to about the same spot at 9 o'clock.
>>
>> This seems counter intuitive to me. I keep thinking this is like just
>> turning the levels down since all seem to be turned almost equally. I
>> normally keep them at 12 o'clock with very minor tweaks in one direction or
>> the other.
>>
>> Am I missing something here?
>
> Yes: every EQ band has a centre frequency and a bandwidth (aka Q). It's
> either shelving or peaking. If it's peaking, it will have a bell-shape,
> whose centre is at the centre frequency, and whose width is determined by
> it's Q.
>
> What that means is that turning down all the EQ knobs will result in a
> rather wavy shaped EQ curve. If you would just turn the levels down, the
> curve would stay flat.
>
> Ask your friend why he does it. Maybe he has a good reason. It seems odd,
> but then I have seen odder things where it turned out that there was a
> perfectly reasonable explanation for them.
>
> How does your friends mix sound?

That's the important thing....

Theory suggests it's a weird way to set up EQ, but if the result sounds
good then it's being done 'right'.

Then again, could it also sound any better done differently... ?

I find it near impossible to comment on other peoples FOH live sound
work; you never get the chance to try doing it your own way, under the
same conditions.

It may sound pretty poor out front BUT also be the best achievable in
that venue with that kit and those artistes...

Then again there are a few people who get nice sound in just about any
situation. I guess they are real Sound Engineers.

Guy
From: liquidator on

"Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
> On 08/02/2010 06:15, in article
> MPG.25d967f04a476c039898af(a)news.albasani.net, "Orlando Enrique Fiol"
> <ofiol(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> liquidator <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:
>>> Knobs are set at 12 o'clock because that is the flat response postioin,
>>> not
>>> for headroom reasons.
>>
>> I meant that 12:00 knob b settings provide arithmetically exact headroom
>> in
>> either direction for cut and boost. We're saying the same thing.
>
> Except that your terminology is wrong. Phrases like "headroom for cut"
> don't
> make any sense.
>
>> Danielle is clearly posting here in order to solve a problem that can be
>> better addressed privately and directly. If she's more interested in the
>> phenomenon of discussion groups, she can politely decline my offer of
>> private
>> email. Then again, Danielle might be an Italian man.
>
> How would the problem be better solved privately? Are you afraid of people
> correcting you?
>
> And what has the gender of the OP to do with it all?

He shouldn't be giving advice to anybody.

he's just here trying to get a date, note he only asked a female to email
him.

Where is his history of emailing guys?