From: Richard Webb on
On Sun 2038-Feb-07 16:07, liquidator writes:
>>> Am I missing something here?

>> you're not missing much, indeed having them all at 9:00 is a lot like
>> turning the levels down

> Except you have a very simplistic view of how the EQ works. She is
> correct that the setting is bad.

> The EQ's have a curve, they don't just turn down a frequency band.
> Setting them all at anything but 12 oclock will result in a response
> graph that looks like a roller coaster.
> Whoever is running that board and setting it that way should be
> fired.

I'm with liquidator here. Another one of those tin ears,
probably with too little talent to actually pass the
audition, so it became a board op. The original poster's
friend is nobody who should guide him on how to do sound
reinforcement.

NOw, according to one poster, I'd be considered just sniping at the op and/or his buddy. AS was said, this textual
medium doesn't lend itself well to teaching, but the channel strip eq is there to help achieve a blend among other
things. NOt recalling if the op said what kind of console I couldn't tell you much about the strip eq.

Usually my method is to tune things in with the eq for foh,
if doing foh, then use the eq controls on the channel strips to achieve a better blend between sources, i.e. carve out
the bass in either the bass gtr or kick drum to make the two blend better; carve out low freq in the rhythm guitar
possibly, etc. COnsider it like painting, background and
foreground must complement each other, and if something in
the background stands out too much it becomes foreground.
That's what the strip eq does for you. IF I don't need to
use it, I leave it set flat.

Regards,
Richard
From: DanielleOM on

"Richard Webb" <Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com> wrote in
message news:d67_201002071904(a)ftn.wpusa.dynip.com...

>>> you're not missing much, indeed having them all at 9:00 is a lot like
>>> turning the levels down
>

>> Except you have a very simplistic view of how the EQ works. She is
>> correct that the setting is bad.
>
>> The EQ's have a curve, they don't just turn down a frequency band.
>> Setting them all at anything but 12 oclock will result in a response
>> graph that looks like a roller coaster.
>> Whoever is running that board and setting it that way should be
>> fired.
>

> I'm with liquidator here. Another one of those tin ears,
> probably with too little talent to actually pass the
> audition, so it became a board op. The original poster's
> friend is nobody who should guide him on how to do sound
> reinforcement.
>
> NOw, according to one poster, I'd be considered just sniping at the op
> and/or his buddy. AS was said, this textual
> medium doesn't lend itself well to teaching, but the channel strip eq is
> there to help achieve a blend among other
> things. NOt recalling if the op said what kind of console I couldn't tell
> you much about the strip eq.
>
> Usually my method is to tune things in with the eq for foh,
> if doing foh, then use the eq controls on the channel strips to achieve a
> better blend between sources, i.e. carve out
> the bass in either the bass gtr or kick drum to make the two blend better;
> carve out low freq in the rhythm guitar
> possibly, etc. COnsider it like painting, background and
> foreground must complement each other, and if something in
> the background stands out too much it becomes foreground.
> That's what the strip eq does for you. IF I don't need to
> use it, I leave it set flat.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
> --
> | Remove .my.foot for email
> | via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet<->Internet Gateway Site
> | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.

My friend uses a Peavey PV10. I have a Soundcraft EFX8. Directions do
point out that the mid frequency on mine is sweepable. (Something that I
had either overlooked or forgotten about) I have mainly used it for solo
gigs where I essentially left everything flat. Last night I substituted for
some one at open mike and perhaps for the first time really had an
opportunity to sit at the mixer at a live venue.

Danielle

From: liquidator on

"DanielleOM" <danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote in message

> "Richard Webb" <Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com> wrote in
> message news:d67_201002071904(a)ftn.wpusa.dynip.com...

>>> Except you have a very simplistic view of how the EQ works. She is
>>> correct that the setting is bad.
>>
>>> The EQ's have a curve, they don't just turn down a frequency band.
>>> Setting them all at anything but 12 oclock will result in a response
>>> graph that looks like a roller coaster.
>>> Whoever is running that board and setting it that way should be
>>> fired.
>>

>> I'm with liquidator here. Another one of those tin ears,
>> probably with too little talent to actually pass the
>> audition, so it became a board op. The original poster's
>> friend is nobody who should guide him on how to do sound
>> reinforcement.
>>
>> NOw, according to one poster, I'd be considered just sniping at the op
>> and/or his buddy. AS was said, this textual
>> medium doesn't lend itself well to teaching, but the channel strip eq is
>> there to help achieve a blend among other
>> things. NOt recalling if the op said what kind of console I couldn't
>> tell you much about the strip eq.
>>
>> Usually my method is to tune things in with the eq for foh,
>> if doing foh, then use the eq controls on the channel strips to achieve a
>> better blend between sources, i.e. carve out
>> the bass in either the bass gtr or kick drum to make the two blend
>> better; carve out low freq in the rhythm guitar
>> possibly, etc. COnsider it like painting, background and
>> foreground must complement each other, and if something in
>> the background stands out too much it becomes foreground.
>> That's what the strip eq does for you. IF I don't need to
>> use it, I leave it set flat.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Richard
>> --
>> | Remove .my.foot for email
>> | via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet<->Internet Gateway Site
>> | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.
>

> My friend uses a Peavey PV10. I have a Soundcraft EFX8. Directions do
> point out that the mid frequency on mine is sweepable. (Something that I
> had either overlooked or forgotten about) I have mainly used it for solo
> gigs where I essentially left everything flat. Last night I substituted
> for some one at open mike and perhaps for the first time really had an
> opportunity to sit at the mixer at a live venue.
>
> Danielle

Just curious, do you know about the Yamaha Sound reinforcemnt handbook?
Worth a read...

Yorkville has some nice free downloads worth reading...

http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p1=6&p_id=17

LMK if you need more reading there is plenty out there...

From: Orlando Enrique Fiol on
DanielleOM <danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote:
>My friend uses a Peavey PV10. I have a Soundcraft EFX8. Directions do
>point out that the mid frequency on mine is sweepable. (Something that I
>had either overlooked or forgotten about) I have mainly used it for solo
>gigs where I essentially left everything flat. Last night I substituted for
>some one at open mike and perhaps for the first time really had an
>opportunity to sit at the mixer at a live venue.

It would be much easier to get to the heart of the matter if you email me
privately rather than wait for newsgroup posts to show up. On the other hand,
if time is not of the essence in you answering this question, we can stick to
the group. Basically, all EQ is either boost or cut, just like faders or volume
knobs; it's just that EQ boosts or cuts specific frequencies in different ways.
Depending on how much headroom you want to have for boosting and cutting, you
set your EQ knobs to allow them to be turned somewhat equidistantly in both
directions.

Orlando
From: liquidator on

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" <ofiol(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> DanielleOM <danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote:
>>My friend uses a Peavey PV10. I have a Soundcraft EFX8. Directions do
>>point out that the mid frequency on mine is sweepable. (Something that I
>>had either overlooked or forgotten about) I have mainly used it for solo
>>gigs where I essentially left everything flat. Last night I substituted
>>for
>>some one at open mike and perhaps for the first time really had an
>>opportunity to sit at the mixer at a live venue.
>
> It would be much easier to get to the heart of the matter if you email me
> privately rather than wait for newsgroup posts to show up. On the other
> hand,
> if time is not of the essence in you answering this question, we can stick
> the group. Basically, all EQ is either boost or cut, just like faders or
> volume
> knobs; it's just that EQ boosts or cuts specific frequencies in different
> ways.
> Depending on how much headroom you want to have for boosting and cutting,
> you
> set your EQ knobs to allow them to be turned somewhat equidistantly in
> both
> directions.
>
> Orlando

Oversimplified and WRONG,

Knobs are set at 12 o'clock because that is the flat response postioin, not
for headroom reasons.

The mid control does not just boost the entire mid band, like a crossover
control would. It puts a peak in the mid response, centered around a
selected frequency,

Any position other than 12 o'clock will give an uneven response.

Asking people to email you privately defeats the whole purpose of discussion
groups.