From: Rich on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in

> "RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Front page messages stretch back 2 weeks. Used to encompass only a
>> couple hours like current, more robust forums. Pretty soon, like the
>> Kodak SLR forum. Time for Fuji to step-up and produce some kind of
>> changeable lens camera.
>
> Fuji used to make some really nice SLRs. I had three screw-mount Fujicas
> back in the '70s. And their EBC lenses were first-rate too.

They sell for fairly high prices (the lenses) on Ebay.
From: Me on
On 15/07/2010 3:05 p.m., RichA wrote:
> Front page messages stretch back 2 weeks. Used to encompass only a
> couple hours like current, more robust forums. Pretty soon, like the
> Kodak SLR forum. Time for Fuji to step-up and produce some kind of
> changeable lens camera.

Fujifilm is about 3x the size (revenue) of Nikon, almost as large as Canon.
In the end, perhaps they've observed from their activities in all areas,
that in many cases market players in position #1 and #2 can make good
money, and in position #3 and less, you end up selling on price, or if
you're lucky, cater to a small niche with low volume but good margins,
always at risk that a major player would one day decide to attack and
take that niche position.
If they've guessed the cost of Sony's attempt to get to #2, looked at
the success of that investment, then they can probably find better areas
in which to invest.
IIRC they're still working on "organic CMOS" sensor technology.
From: Rich on
On Jul 15, 6:38 pm, Me <u...(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 15/07/2010 3:05 p.m., RichA wrote:
>
> > Front page messages stretch back 2 weeks.  Used to encompass only a
> > couple hours like current, more robust forums.  Pretty soon, like the
> > Kodak SLR forum.  Time for Fuji to step-up and produce some kind of
> > changeable lens camera.
>
> Fujifilm is about 3x the size (revenue) of Nikon, almost as large as Canon.
> In the end, perhaps they've observed from their activities in all areas,
> that in many cases market players in position #1 and #2 can make good
> money, and in position #3 and less, you end up selling on price, or if
> you're lucky, cater to a small niche with low volume but good margins,
> always at risk that a major player would one day decide to attack and
> take that niche position.
> If they've guessed the cost of Sony's attempt to get to #2, looked at
> the success of that investment, then they can probably find better areas
> in which to invest.
> IIRC they're still working on "organic CMOS" sensor technology.

Then why stay in the field at all? Why keep making hulking plastic
superzoom P&S's that the DSLR has just about killed off?
From: Outing DSLR-Trolls is FUN! on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:45:44 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 15, 6:38�pm, Me <u...(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
>> On 15/07/2010 3:05 p.m., RichA wrote:
>>
>> > Front page messages stretch back 2 weeks. �Used to encompass only a
>> > couple hours like current, more robust forums. �Pretty soon, like the
>> > Kodak SLR forum. �Time for Fuji to step-up and produce some kind of
>> > changeable lens camera.
>>
>> Fujifilm is about 3x the size (revenue) of Nikon, almost as large as Canon.
>> In the end, perhaps they've observed from their activities in all areas,
>> that in many cases market players in position #1 and #2 can make good
>> money, and in position #3 and less, you end up selling on price, or if
>> you're lucky, cater to a small niche with low volume but good margins,
>> always at risk that a major player would one day decide to attack and
>> take that niche position.
>> If they've guessed the cost of Sony's attempt to get to #2, looked at
>> the success of that investment, then they can probably find better areas
>> in which to invest.
>> IIRC they're still working on "organic CMOS" sensor technology.
>
>Then why stay in the field at all? Why keep making hulking plastic
>superzoom P&S's that the DSLR has just about killed off?

<http://dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/>

"Compact Camera Group Test:
SLR-like 'super zoom' cameras

It's now more than a year since we published our last superzoom group test
and despite the hype surrounding mirrorless system cameras such as Micro
Four Thirds or the Sony NEX, and the fact that entry level DSLRs are
becoming more and more affordable, superzoom cameras are as popular with
consumers as ever. It is easy to see why. The combination of a large zoom
range from wideangle to super telephoto, DSLR-like ergonomics and an
attractive price point guarantee that these cameras appeal to a very broad
audience."

[note that the derogatory "P&S" term is not used, a term first popularized
by insecure DSLR-Trolls on USENET.]

From: Rich on
On Jul 16, 7:28 pm, Outing DSLR-Trolls is FUN! <od...(a)trollouters.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:45:44 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> Fujifilm is about 3x the size (revenue) of Nikon, almost as large as Canon.
> >> In the end, perhaps they've observed from their activities in all areas,
> >> that in many cases market players in position #1 and #2 can make good
> >> money, and in position #3 and less, you end up selling on price, or if
> >> you're lucky, cater to a small niche with low volume but good margins,
> >> always at risk that a major player would one day decide to attack and
> >> take that niche position.
> >> If they've guessed the cost of Sony's attempt to get to #2, looked at
> >> the success of that investment, then they can probably find better areas
> >> in which to invest.
> >> IIRC they're still working on "organic CMOS" sensor technology.
>
> >Then why stay in the field at all?  Why keep making hulking plastic
> >superzoom P&S's that the DSLR has just about killed off?
>
> <http://dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/>
>
> "Compact Camera Group Test:
> SLR-like 'super zoom' cameras
>
> It's now more than a year since we published our last superzoom group test
> and despite the hype surrounding mirrorless system cameras such as Micro
> Four Thirds or the Sony NEX, and the fact that entry level DSLRs are
> becoming more and more affordable, superzoom cameras are as popular with
> consumers as ever. It is easy to see why. The combination of a large zoom
> range from wideangle to super telephoto, DSLR-like ergonomics and an
> attractive price point guarantee that these cameras appeal to a very broad
> audience."
>
> [note that the derogatory "P&S" term is not used, a term first popularized
> by insecure DSLR-Trolls on USENET.]

As long as the cameras have a flash set on automatic. I know those
baseball stadiums get a bit dark at night.