From: RichA on
Front page messages stretch back 2 weeks. Used to encompass only a
couple hours like current, more robust forums. Pretty soon, like the
Kodak SLR forum. Time for Fuji to step-up and produce some kind of
changeable lens camera.
From: Bruce on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:05:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
>Front page messages stretch back 2 weeks. Used to encompass only a
>couple hours like current, more robust forums. Pretty soon, like the
>Kodak SLR forum. Time for Fuji to step-up and produce some kind of
>changeable lens camera.

Why? Fujifilm will only do what they can be sure is going to be
profitable. The company doesn't have the vast resources needed to
develop a new range of interchangeable-lens cameras and lenses, and
has no further interest in fitting Nikon bodies with 6.1 MP Fuji
sensors that are now well out of date.

What killed off the Fujifilm S series of DSLRs was initially the Canon
EOS 5D, which offered 12 MP and full frame against the 6.1 MP of the
Fujifilm Pro S3, and finally the Nikon D700 which offered the very low
noise 12 MP sensor of the Nikon D3 at a very competitive price and
came close to the dynamic range of the S5.

Sales of the S5 plummeted after the D700 was introduced. Remaining
stocks of the S5 were sold off at very deeply discounted prices. Who
wants a Nikon-mount DSLR with a 6.1 MP DX-cropped sensor giving an
interpolated 12 MP output when you can buy a Nikon DSLR with a genuine
12 MP sensor that has outstanding low light performance? A tiny
improvement in dynamic range (the S5 is still the best) won't override
the arguments for full frame and the incredibly low noise of the D700.

So with the S series DSLRs, Fujifilm backed the wrong horse. Fujifilm
also backed the wrong horse with the F series point and shoot compact
digicams; sales have dwindled to near zero and most camera stores
don't even stock them. Yes, they had significant advantages in the
form of lower noise and the ability to shoot at high ISOs, but too few
people wanted to buy them. The megapixel race saw to it that much of
their low noise advantage was lost by cramming in too many pixels.

So Fujifilm is probably happy enough as it is, making poor quality
small-sensor digcams that compete in the market with all the other
brands of poor quality small-sensor digcams.

There is also Fujifilm's manufacture of high quality Hasselblad
digital SLR bodies and lenses. A very profitable activity, no doubt.
From: RichA on
On Jul 15, 5:04 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:05:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Front page messages stretch back 2 weeks.  Used to encompass only a
> >couple hours like current, more robust forums.  Pretty soon, like the
> >Kodak SLR forum.  Time for Fuji to step-up and produce some kind of
> >changeable lens camera.
>
> Why?  Fujifilm will only do what they can be sure is going to be
> profitable.  The company doesn't have the vast resources needed to
> develop a new range of interchangeable-lens cameras and lenses, and
> has no further interest in fitting Nikon bodies with 6.1 MP Fuji
> sensors that are now well out of date.
>
> What killed off the Fujifilm S series of DSLRs was initially the Canon
> EOS 5D, which offered 12 MP and full frame against the 6.1 MP of the
> Fujifilm Pro S3, and finally the Nikon D700 which offered the very low
> noise 12 MP sensor of the Nikon D3 at a very competitive price and
> came close to the dynamic range of the S5.
>
> Sales of the S5 plummeted after the D700 was introduced.  Remaining
> stocks of the S5 were sold off at very deeply discounted prices.

Interestingly, the D200 which came out at the same time and has the
same body sells for about $500 used, while the S-5 goes for around
$800-1000.00. But lets not pretend Fuji couldn't find a market for a
changeable lens camera not based on their using a Nikon body.
From: Bruce on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 05:12:26 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Jul 15, 5:04�am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:05:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Front page messages stretch back 2 weeks. �Used to encompass only a
>> >couple hours like current, more robust forums. �Pretty soon, like the
>> >Kodak SLR forum. �Time for Fuji to step-up and produce some kind of
>> >changeable lens camera.
>>
>> Why? �Fujifilm will only do what they can be sure is going to be
>> profitable. �The company doesn't have the vast resources needed to
>> develop a new range of interchangeable-lens cameras and lenses, and
>> has no further interest in fitting Nikon bodies with 6.1 MP Fuji
>> sensors that are now well out of date.
>>
>> What killed off the Fujifilm S series of DSLRs was initially the Canon
>> EOS 5D, which offered 12 MP and full frame against the 6.1 MP of the
>> Fujifilm Pro S3, and finally the Nikon D700 which offered the very low
>> noise 12 MP sensor of the Nikon D3 at a very competitive price and
>> came close to the dynamic range of the S5. �
>>
>> Sales of the S5 plummeted after the D700 was introduced. �Remaining
>> stocks of the S5 were sold off at very deeply discounted prices.
>
>Interestingly, the D200 which came out at the same time and has the
>same body sells for about $500 used,

The D200 was a lot cheaper than the S-5 when both were new.

>while the S-5 goes for around
>$800-1000.00.

You could pick up new S5 bodies for far less than that after they were
discontinued.

>But lets not pretend Fuji couldn't find a market for a
>changeable lens camera not based on their using a Nikon body.

Three negatives in a sentence? Doesn't not make no sense. ;-)

From: Neil Harrington on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Front page messages stretch back 2 weeks. Used to encompass only a
> couple hours like current, more robust forums. Pretty soon, like the
> Kodak SLR forum. Time for Fuji to step-up and produce some kind of
> changeable lens camera.

Fuji used to make some really nice SLRs. I had three screw-mount Fujicas
back in the '70s. And their EBC lenses were first-rate too.