From: Outing DSLR-Trolls is FUN! on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:55:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 16, 7:28�pm, Outing DSLR-Trolls is FUN! <od...(a)trollouters.org>
>wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:45:44 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Then why stay in the field at all? �Why keep making hulking plastic
>> >superzoom P&S's that the DSLR has just about killed off?
>>
>> <http://dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/>
>>
>> "Compact Camera Group Test:
>> SLR-like 'super zoom' cameras
>>
>> It's now more than a year since we published our last superzoom group test
>> and despite the hype surrounding mirrorless system cameras such as Micro
>> Four Thirds or the Sony NEX, and the fact that entry level DSLRs are
>> becoming more and more affordable, superzoom cameras are as popular with
>> consumers as ever. It is easy to see why. The combination of a large zoom
>> range from wideangle to super telephoto, DSLR-like ergonomics and an
>> attractive price point guarantee that these cameras appeal to a very broad
>> audience."
>>
>> [note that the derogatory "P&S" term is not used, a term first popularized
>> by insecure DSLR-Trolls on USENET.]
>
>As long as the cameras have a flash set on automatic. I know those
>baseball stadiums get a bit dark at night.

As long as you knew anything at all about the cameras that you incessantly
lie about. Many of them cannot fire the flash unless it is manually opened.

How many of those flashes going off in a stadium are owned by DSLR owners
as ridiculously stupid as you are? They have the same built-in flash
systems as all compact and superzoom cameras. Judging by the quality of
intellect that promotes DSLRs, I'd say most of the flashes going off in
stadiums are coming from idiot DSLR owners as fuckingly dumb as yourself.

From: Bruce on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:45:44 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Then why stay in the field at all? Why keep making hulking plastic
>superzoom P&S's that the DSLR has just about killed off?

Because they sell well and are profitable.

And they haven't been "killed off" by anything.

From: SMS on
On 16/07/10 3:45 PM, Rich wrote:

> Then why stay in the field at all? Why keep making hulking plastic
> superzoom P&S's that the DSLR has just about killed off?

The superzooms are highly profitable. The manufacturing cost is very
low. For D-SLRs they're making big money on lenses and accessories, but
the cameras are more costly to manufacturer with the larger sensors,
lens mounts, mirrors, optical viewfinders, and shutters.

The person who chooses a relatively large superzoom over a relatively
lard D-SLR typically does not understand anything about the physics of
sensors, optics, focusing systems, dynamic range, viewfinders, or
photography in general, and they don't want to learn either. They may be
disappointed with their equipment in terms of lag times and low light
performance, but they don't understand the reasons that they're
disappointed, and they've spent a lot less money than a D-SLR buyer. Our
favorite troll is ample proof of this.

As one Reagan official said (at the time Reagan was trying to get rid of
the Consumer Products Safety Commission), 'Imperfect products should be
available because consumers have different preferences for defect
avoidance.'
From: Rich on
On Jul 17, 8:50 am, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> On 16/07/10 3:45 PM, Rich wrote:
>
> > Then why stay in the field at all?  Why keep making hulking plastic
> > superzoom P&S's that the DSLR has just about killed off?
>
> The superzooms are highly profitable. The manufacturing cost is very
> low. For D-SLRs they're making big money on lenses and accessories, but
> the cameras are more costly to manufacturer with the larger sensors,
> lens mounts, mirrors, optical viewfinders, and shutters.
>
> The person who chooses a relatively large superzoom over a relatively
> lard D-SLR typically does not understand anything about the physics of
> sensors, optics, focusing systems, dynamic range, viewfinders, or
> photography in general, and they don't want to learn either. They may be
> disappointed with their equipment in terms of lag times and low light
> performance, but they don't understand the reasons that they're
> disappointed, and they've spent a lot less money than a D-SLR buyer. Our
> favorite troll is ample proof of this.

We don't know about how profitable they are. Assembly is probably the
single most costly part of a camera today (aside from perhaps the
sensor and prism in a DSLR) and it seems to be a superzoom P&S might
cost even more than a DSLR to assemble.

> As one Reagan official said (at the time Reagan was trying to get rid of
> the Consumer Products Safety Commission), 'Imperfect products should be
> available because consumers have different preferences for defect
> avoidance.'

With Walmart and the Chinese, you have all the inferior, defective
products you can handle. And you buy them willingly.
From: Rich on
Outing DSLR-Trolls is FUN! <odtif(a)trollouters.org> wrote in

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:55:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 16, 7:28�pm, Outing DSLR-Trolls is FUN! <od...(a)trollouters.org>
>>wrote:

>>> <http://dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/>
>>>
>>> "Compact Camera Group Test:
>>> SLR-like 'super zoom' cameras
>>>
>>> It's now more than a year since we published our last superzoom
>>> group test and despite the hype surrounding mirrorless system
>>> cameras such as Micro Four Thirds or the Sony NEX, and the fact that
>>> entry level DSLRs are becoming more and more affordable, superzoom
>>> cameras are as popular with consumers as ever. It is easy to see
>>> why. The combination of a large zoom range from wideangle to super
>>> telephoto, DSLR-like ergonomics and an attractive price point
>>> guarantee that these cameras appeal to a very broad audience."
>>>
>>> [note that the derogatory "P&S" term is not used, a term first
>>> popularized by insecure DSLR-Trolls on USENET.]
>>
>>As long as the cameras have a flash set on automatic. I know those
>>baseball stadiums get a bit dark at night.
>
> As long as you knew anything at all about the cameras that you
> incessantly lie about. Many of them cannot fire the flash unless it is
> manually opened.
>
> How many of those flashes going off in a stadium are owned by DSLR
> owners as ridiculously stupid as you are? They have the same built-in
> flash systems as all compact and superzoom cameras. Judging by the
> quality of intellect that promotes DSLRs, I'd say most of the flashes
> going off in stadiums are coming from idiot DSLR owners as fuckingly
> dumb as yourself.

Then you'd be wrong. Which isn't an altogether new experience for you.