From: the.hunter on
Hi, in your opinion is it better G-Data or NOD32 antivirus? I'd like
to use the ltest pay version.
thanks
From: Charlie on
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:16:10 +0100, FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:44:44 +0100, the.hunter(a)TOGLIkatamail.com wrote:
>
>>Hi, in your opinion is it better G-Data or NOD32 antivirus? I'd like
>>to use the ltest pay version.
>>thanks
>
>Is a Ford or a Volkswagen a better car?
>(or maybe a Fiat).
>
>You can also have a look here:
>http://www.av-comparatives.org/
>http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests/summary-reports

I hear Chevy Trackers are very reliable (built by Suzuki)
From: Dave Cohen on
On 1/29/2010 7:47 PM, Charlie wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:16:10 +0100, FredW<fredw(a)blackholespam.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:44:44 +0100, the.hunter(a)TOGLIkatamail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, in your opinion is it better G-Data or NOD32 antivirus? I'd like
>>> to use the ltest pay version.
>>> thanks
>>
>> Is a Ford or a Volkswagen a better car?
>> (or maybe a Fiat).
>>
>> You can also have a look here:
>> http://www.av-comparatives.org/
>> http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests/summary-reports
>
> I hear Chevy Trackers are very reliable (built by Suzuki)

None of those are free which tarnishes the analogy somewhat. The
question really is does this and all the other posters on same topic
really think there is a magic bullet out there. Use a good program, of
which there are many, I prefer the free ones like Avira, and invest the
money you would have spent on a AV program in an image backup program
(and some of those might also be free). These days, an external hd is so
cheap and they come in such large sizes that it's easy enough to keep a
few generations of the os as images. I just use a simple backup for
data, compression isn't really needed. Something like winmerge (free)
will keep things updated.
I don't even truly sync the data in the sense I will no longer delete
files from the data backup, I've been caught too many times finding I
need a file I thought I no longer would need. The point I'm trying to
make is there are a number of ways to lose data or mess up your system,
a virus is only one of them and I must say I've never really had a
problem with one of those, but if the AV program does stop one it's
easier to let it do that than restore an image, and if it should fail
you're not facing a disaster.

From: Charlie on
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:16:08 -0500, Dave Cohen <user(a)example.net> wrote:

>On 1/29/2010 7:47 PM, Charlie wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:16:10 +0100, FredW<fredw(a)blackholespam.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Is a Ford or a Volkswagen a better car?
>>> (or maybe a Fiat).
>>>
>>> You can also have a look here:
>>> http://www.av-comparatives.org/
>>> http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests/summary-reports
>>
>> I hear Chevy Trackers are very reliable (built by Suzuki)
>
>None of those are free which tarnishes the analogy somewhat. The
>question really is does this and all the other posters on same topic
>really think there is a magic bullet out there. Use a good program, of
>which there are many, I prefer the free ones like Avira, and invest the
>money you would have spent on a AV program in an image backup program
>(and some of those might also be free). These days, an external hd is so
>cheap and they come in such large sizes that it's easy enough to keep a
>few generations of the os as images. I just use a simple backup for
>data, compression isn't really needed. Something like winmerge (free)
>will keep things updated.
>I don't even truly sync the data in the sense I will no longer delete
>files from the data backup, I've been caught too many times finding I
>need a file I thought I no longer would need. The point I'm trying to
>make is there are a number of ways to lose data or mess up your system,
>a virus is only one of them and I must say I've never really had a
>problem with one of those, but if the AV program does stop one it's
>easier to let it do that than restore an image, and if it should fail
>you're not facing a disaster.
Good points David and as you may have heard the 3 rules to happy and
healthy home computing are

#1 Backup
#2 Backup
#3 Backup

The comment I want to make is that it is very possible to restore an
image that was saved while an undetected virus was present. Thus
restoring your computer to a previously infected state. Since ALL AV
detection is reactive it can be possible that todays unknown and yet
undetetcable virii can be saved within an image today and restored next
week unleashing the virus back into one's machine. Just a thought.

Also yes, a 1TB usb extrernal drive can be bought now for under $90.
From: FromTheRafters on
"Charlie" <fat.charlie(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

[...]

> The comment I want to make is that it is very possible to restore an
> image that was saved while an undetected virus was present.

An important point to consider! People shouldn't get lulled into
complacency by the current trend in malware, that of
commercial/financial gain. Malware doesn't need to make it presence
known. A new slow polymorphic virus could replicate and data diddle for
a long time - well into your backup and/or recovery schemes. Most of
todays malware is intent on stealing processing power for its own
nefarious use - usually with some monetary profit for the creator/user
in mind. There is cryptovirology to consider as well - do you want to
purchase the key to decrypt the files that I encrypted for you?

....then you discover that your backups had all been corrupted or
encrypted as well.

[...]