From: Andrew Price on
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:40:58 -0800, Robert E. Yorke
<yorker(a)deltanet.com> wrote:

>I do agree with you; I too use version 7.1.0.9. I find absolutely
>NOTHING wrong/outdated about it...I can't understand why some savvy
>outfit just doesn't BUY it from Qualcomm, and just keep SELLING it!

I'd have gladly kept on using Eudora (the user interface is far more
sophisticated than Thunderbird, with none of the teething problems
that things like selective quoting have in TB) but I just kept getting
to many emails in utf-8, which Eudora doesn't handle well.

>Can you detail a bit what "The Bat" is?

It's a very powerful email program from developers in (I think)
Rumania. It works well, but I ruled it out after testing because,
unlike Eudora or Thunderbird, it does not allow email from multiple
addresses to be received in a single "inbox". Every single account
has to have its own.

That's purely a personal choice on my part; The Bat is certainly worth
looking at, if you're considering a replacement for Eudora.
From: Sydney Gondomer on
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:18:22 +0100, Andrew Price <ajprice(a)free.fr>
wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:40:58 -0800, Robert E. Yorke
><yorker(a)deltanet.com> wrote:
>
>>I do agree with you; I too use version 7.1.0.9. I find absolutely
>>NOTHING wrong/outdated about it...I can't understand why some savvy
>>outfit just doesn't BUY it from Qualcomm, and just keep SELLING it!
>
>I'd have gladly kept on using Eudora (the user interface is far more
>sophisticated than Thunderbird, with none of the teething problems
>that things like selective quoting have in TB) but I just kept getting
>to many emails in utf-8, which Eudora doesn't handle well.
>
>>Can you detail a bit what "The Bat" is?
>
>It's a very powerful email program from developers in (I think)
>Rumania. It works well, but I ruled it out after testing because,
>unlike Eudora or Thunderbird, it does not allow email from multiple
>addresses to be received in a single "inbox". Every single account
>has to have its own.
>
>That's purely a personal choice on my part; The Bat is certainly worth
>looking at, if you're considering a replacement for Eudora.

I have a HP system with Vista 64 bit 3Gb of ram quad core, or dual
core, I tried and tried to use Eudora 7.1.0.9, but it just locks up to
much. I have to go into the task manager to get rid of it.

So yesterday I finally decided to give the Eudora-Mozilla version a
try.

It looks like Thundebird, but has the Eudora buttons. It ran smoothly
yesterday afternoon and evening. then this morning when I sat down at
the computer I had a MASSIVE Trojan attack. I use Avast home for my
virus and worm stopper. Every email was telling me that it was a
Trojan. The filenames were weird "word32: hjj-+[] seems like they were
randomly generated names. all of them ended in DLL

So I finally rebooted, ran Spybot latest version 160 and latest virus
files. That seemed to take care of things. It found hundreds of pieces
of junk and temp files.

The computer had been running fine. I just started Eudora 8 about two
minutes ago and I''m no longer getting the warnings. Let me check mail
to see what happens... It downloaded about 100 emails with no problems
this time.

I was wondering though if there were any problems with this Beta
version that would cause it to allow hundreds of dangerous Trojans to
get through it or something. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

ALL laid off, or unemployed persons NEED this ASAP!!

http://antiterrorist.r8.org/
From: Wilfried on
Andrew Price <ajprice(a)free.fr> wrote:

> I'd have gladly kept on using Eudora (the user interface is far more
> sophisticated than Thunderbird, with none of the teething problems
> that things like selective quoting have in TB) but I just kept getting
> to many emails in utf-8, which Eudora doesn't handle well.

Have you tried the utf9iso plugin for Eudora?
http://www.windharp.de/software/utf8iso.htm
It works for characters which are available in the standard windows ANSI
encoding but fails for characters which aren't.

--
Wilfried Hennings
From: Andrew Price on
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:27:45 +0100, Wilfried <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>> I'd have gladly kept on using Eudora (the user interface is far more
>> sophisticated than Thunderbird, with none of the teething problems
>> that things like selective quoting have in TB) but I just kept getting
>> to many emails in utf-8, which Eudora doesn't handle well.
>
>Have you tried the utf9iso plugin for Eudora?
>http://www.windharp.de/software/utf8iso.htm
>It works for characters which are available in the standard windows ANSI
>encoding but fails for characters which aren't.

Yes, I did try it, thanks, but in the end did not perservere with it,
due to the limitation you mention above, and also the fact that it
doesn't decode utf-8 in the email "subject" line. A minor, but for me
annoying issue.
From: Patricia Hughes on
Jane wrote:
> I am on Eudora 7.
>
> Is it better to go to Eudora 8 or to Thunderbird? Does Eudora 8 add
> enough to Thunderbird to make it worth my while?
>
> Wodering if it's possible to go from Eudora 8 to Thunderbird without a
> lot of trouble if Qualcomm got slow in implementing features?

I'm also seriously considering moving from Eudora to Thunderbird because
of the UTF-8 character problems. Is there likely to be any problem
importing 8 years' worth of Eudora mailboxes into Thunderbird?