From: Allie on
Andrew Price wrote:
> I chose to do this as I found Eudora's searching facilities to be
> better than TB's, and it is an ideal archive format for its own mail.
> The application doesn't take up much space on my HD.

Yeah, eudora's search features were nice. TB's are great for simple
searches. When you start searching full text though, in big mailboxes,
search engines like Google Desktop work faster. I'm not sure how google
desktop works with the old eudora, but it works like a charm with TB,
which is great.
From: Patricia Hughes on
John H Meyers wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:40:03 -0600, Patricia Hughes wrote:

<snip>

> An alternative to importing everything old is to keep it as an archive,
> letting Eudora continue serving as the search and display engine,
> which will lose nothing that you already have.

Yes that would be fine, after the transition period when I would keep
needing to go back to old messages a lot. And as long as the Eudora
program continues to work as operating systems move on - this might be a
serious concern as it's not under continuous development any more.

> Have you ever tried the "utf8iso" plugin for Eudora,
> to see whether it already improves anything for you?
> (I believe it can translate messages subsequent to initial receipt).

I haven't tried it - I read some of the comments on it in other postings
and it sounded a bit dodgy. Perhaps it might be worth trying at least.

I'm sort of running TB in parallel with Eudora 7 at present to see how I
get on.

Thanks for your help.
From: Patricia Hughes on
Patricia Hughes wrote:
> John H Meyers wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:40:03 -0600, Patricia Hughes wrote:
>>

> <snip>
>

>> An alternative to importing everything old is to keep it as an archive,
>> letting Eudora continue serving as the search and display engine,
>> which will lose nothing that you already have.
>
> Yes that would be fine, after the transition period when I would keep
> needing to go back to old messages a lot. And as long as the Eudora
> program continues to work as operating systems move on - this might be a
> serious concern as it's not under continuous development any more.
>>
>> Have you ever tried the "utf8iso" plugin for Eudora,
>> to see whether it already improves anything for you?
>> (I believe it can translate messages subsequent to initial receipt).
>>
> I haven't tried it - I read some of the comments on it in other postings
> and it sounded a bit dodgy. Perhaps it might be worth trying at least.
>
> I'm sort of running TB in parallel with Eudora 7 at present to see how I
> get on.
>
> Thanks for your help.
Well I tried the UTF8iso plugin and it helps with a small number of my
Hungarian emails but not all of them (and some of my regular UK senders
have switched to UTF-8 :-( ), and of course it doesn't address the
problem of iso-8859-2 encoding which some of my Hungarian friends use.
Does Eudora 8 give me what I need without sacrificing too much?
From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:43:56 -0600, Patricia Hughes wrote:

> Well I tried the UTF8iso plugin and it helps with a small number of my
> Hungarian emails but not all of them (and some of my regular UK senders
> have switched to UTF-8 :-( ), and of course it doesn't address the
> problem of iso-8859-2 encoding which some of my Hungarian friends use.
> Does Eudora 8 give me what I need without sacrificing too much?

What language do the UK senders write?

English in UTF-8 should be the same as English in ISO-8859-any,
since the entire English alphabet is in the first 128 "ascii" characters;
English in (16-bit) pure "Unicode," however, might be more problematic.

ISO-8859-2 should be a display (encoding) option in either Windows
or in "Microsoft's viewer" (Internet Explorer,
when employed by Eudora to display messages within Eudora),
or in any other web browser, when made Windows' default browser
and sent the messages to display using "Send to browser" in Eudora.

Thunderbird (or "Eudora 8," based on Thunderbird)
handles UTF-8 natively, and has "Fonts & Encodings" options
(including ISO-8859-2) for incoming and outgoing messages,
in its "Display" options.

You could always try out either "Thunderbird" or "Eudora 8"
in parallel with original Eudora; just set "leave mail on server"
in each email client, so that the same "POP" mail can be downloaded by each;
outgoing mail can be sent to yourself via "Bcc" if you want to share it
between multiple POP clients.

Much like Kipling's
"East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,"
Thunderbird and original Eudora are profoundly different,
and comparing what you gain to what you sacrifice
is highly personal and subjective.

http://www.bartleby.com/246/1129.html

From: Patricia Hughes on
John H Meyers wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:43:56 -0600, Patricia Hughes wrote:
>
>> Well I tried the UTF8iso plugin and it helps with a small number of my
>> Hungarian emails but not all of them (and some of my regular UK senders
>> have switched to UTF-8 :-( ), and of course it doesn't address the
>> problem of iso-8859-2 encoding which some of my Hungarian friends use.
>> Does Eudora 8 give me what I need without sacrificing too much?
>
> What language do the UK senders write?
I've had (at least) 2 strange ones recently, both HTML email from
senders who have previously not been problematic. The beginning of the
emails says something like:

Then there's quite a lot of raw html. Viewing in webmail , using
Firefox, shows me raw html too, but Thunderbird displays 'em without any
trouble. Has something changed in the encoding world lately?

> English in UTF-8 should be the same as English in ISO-8859-any,
> since the entire English alphabet is in the first 128 "ascii" characters;
> English in (16-bit) pure "Unicode," however, might be more problematic.
>
> ISO-8859-2 should be a display (encoding) option in either Windows
> or in "Microsoft's viewer" (Internet Explorer,
> when employed by Eudora to display messages within Eudora),
> or in any other web browser, when made Windows' default browser
> and sent the messages to display using "Send to browser" in Eudora.
Yes I think you're right and the ISO-8859-2 was just a red herring - I
think a couple of characters get incorrectly displayed (and of course
the subject headings but I've read the solution for that above) but the
rest is okay.

> Thunderbird (or "Eudora 8," based on Thunderbird)
> handles UTF-8 natively, and has "Fonts & Encodings" options
> (including ISO-8859-2) for incoming and outgoing messages,
> in its "Display" options.
>
> You could always try out either "Thunderbird" or "Eudora 8"
> in parallel with original Eudora; just set "leave mail on server"
> in each email client, so that the same "POP" mail can be downloaded by each;
> outgoing mail can be sent to yourself via "Bcc" if you want to share it
> between multiple POP clients.

Yes, I'm trying TB with Penelope 0.1a22, so at least those emails with
"interesting" coding can be read. I think I'll wait for TB3 before
making any serious decisions about which way to jump (or how to jump).

> Much like Kipling's
> "East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,"
> Thunderbird and original Eudora are profoundly different,
> and comparing what you gain to what you sacrifice
> is highly personal and subjective.
>
> http://www.bartleby.com/246/1129.html

I agree with your point. I myself think that the following is an
appropriate quote for my current state :-) :

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

T.S.Eliot, Little Gidding (No.4 of 'Four Quartets')
http://www.tristan.icom43.net/quartets/gidding.html