From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:40:03 -0600, Patricia Hughes wrote:

> I'm also seriously considering moving from Eudora to Thunderbird because
> of the UTF-8 character problems. Is there likely to be any problem
> importing 8 years' worth of Eudora mailboxes into Thunderbird?

Probably.

You could install, import, and see definitely for yourself,
which would reveal whether old UTF-8 messages are improved or not.

Thunderbird (as well as its "Eudora 8" version in progress)
is a completely separate program, sharing nothing with original Eudora,
so you can try out other independent programs with no impact upon
your current original version of Eudora, so long as you don't
start checking mail with them and not "leaving mail on [POP] server"
(for Eudora to be able to fetch the same mail); similarly,
any outgoing Thunderbird messages which you'd want to keep
in Eudora should be copied (via "Bcc:") to yourself.

An alternative to importing everything old is to keep it as an archive,
letting Eudora continue serving as the search and display engine,
which will lose nothing that you already have.

Have you ever tried the "utf8iso" plugin for Eudora,
to see whether it already improves anything for you?
(I believe it can translate messages subsequent to initial receipt).

From: Andrew Price on
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:40:03 +0100, Patricia Hughes
<babel17(a)t-online.hu> wrote:

>> Wodering if it's possible to go from Eudora 8 to Thunderbird without a
>> lot of trouble if Qualcomm got slow in implementing features?
>
>I'm also seriously considering moving from Eudora to Thunderbird because
>of the UTF-8 character problems. Is there likely to be any problem
>importing 8 years' worth of Eudora mailboxes into Thunderbird?

No, it works fine, although it will take quite a while (I had 7 years of
Eudora mail, totalling around 45MB).

In the end, I chose not to go down that route, uninstalled TB with the
imported mail boxes, then did a fresh reinstall, leaving the old
Eudora mail in Eudora, and making a fresh start with TB.

I chose to do this as I found Eudora's searching facilities to be
better than TB's, and it is an ideal archive format for its own mail.
The application doesn't take up much space on my HD.
From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:32:19 -0600:

> I tend to, about once a year, just copy my entire Eudora Mailbox
> directory to an archive directory on another disk, then use Eudora to
> delete ALL the messages from the mailboxes, followed by compressing
> them...

By the way, the moment you close an emptied mailbox,
it's immediately "compacted" anyway (having 100% "deleted" space,
which is above any lesser threshold for automatic compaction).

Just like my wallet, right after every time I close it :)

From: Hank Nussbacher on
Last I tried it I did my testing on Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 and Penelope 0.1a19

Back when I did that testing, I installed Penelope as an add-on to
Thunderbird. It imported properly my mailboxes, but my address book was only
partially imported and many nicknames were missing. In addition, none of the
filters that I had set in Eudora made it through to Thunderbird. Has this
been fixed?

Coloring: Eudora has a nice feature that allows one to color a mail item.
I use it to flag an item in a folder for later easy spotting. Import
lost all colorings of emails rather than convert the Eudora colors to
Thunderbird Tags. Has this been fixed?

Without filters and colors I can't move to TB+Penelope.

Thanks,
Hank

From: Allie on
Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> Last I tried it I did my testing on Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 and Penelope 0.1a19
>
> Back when I did that testing, I installed Penelope as an add-on to
> Thunderbird. It imported properly my mailboxes, but my address book was only
> partially imported and many nicknames were missing. In addition, none of the
> filters that I had set in Eudora made it through to Thunderbird. Has this
> been fixed?
>
> Coloring: Eudora has a nice feature that allows one to color a mail item.
> I use it to flag an item in a folder for later easy spotting. Import
> lost all colorings of emails rather than convert the Eudora colors to
> Thunderbird Tags. Has this been fixed?
>
> Without filters and colors I can't move to TB+Penelope.
>
> Thanks,
> Hank

Without the import of those features, or without those features
themselves? TB, as you probably know, does have filters and the ability
to color emails. Sounds like the importing of those is the sticking
point for you.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a scripting interface to TB? It would be
nice to be able to rip through your emails with custom code. Assuming
you could do the same in eudora (which i doubt), you could just import
your messages, and then use the scripting interface to bring everything
else up to date too. Now *that's* a pipe dream.

allie