From: Larry on
Larry <Larry(a)nospamme.net> wrote in

> Ordered a Liteon iHAP422-98 and the media list a bunch i can not get
> local. I used to get Maxell no problem,but they stop carrying it local
> (have to order). Does anybody use Verbatium with this unit? and if so
> how well does it work?.
> Thanks Larry

Thanks all four the info!. Thried a verbatim DVD-r and got speed of 6x alot
better then 1.8x i was getting with old unit. DMA is set for Ultra DMA 2
instead of PIO. Going to try maxell cdr next.
Larry
From: Ben Myers on
On 7/7/2010 5:55 PM, Larry wrote:
> Ordered a Liteon iHAP422-98 and the media list a bunch i can not get
> local. I used to get Maxell no problem,but they stop carrying it local
> (have to order). Does anybody use Verbatium with this unit? and if so how
> well does it work?.
> Thanks Larry

Larry,

The question is what you will be burning onto DVDs. For me, the
cheapest brand possible for most things, because I burn Linux DVDs
whenever a new release comes out. They are essentially throwawys when
the next releases are posted.

For more permanent items like archiving personal data, I would recommend
a long-standing name brand like the Maxell or Verbatim you mention...
Ben Myers
From: Larry on
Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in

> On 7/7/2010 5:55 PM, Larry wrote:
>> Ordered a Liteon iHAP422-98 and the media list a bunch i can not get
>> local. I used to get Maxell no problem,but they stop carrying it
>> local (have to order). Does anybody use Verbatium with this unit? and
>> if so how well does it work?.
>> Thanks Larry
>
> Larry,
>
> The question is what you will be burning onto DVDs. For me, the
> cheapest brand possible for most things, because I burn Linux DVDs
> whenever a new release comes out. They are essentially throwawys when
> the next releases are posted.
>
> For more permanent items like archiving personal data, I would
> recommend a long-standing name brand like the Maxell or Verbatim you
> mention... Ben Myers

Verbatim and a couple of others i can get locale. The weird part is i
used to use Maxell all the time. Then they stopped being sold where i
live, an online is the only place now. So far the drive is working no
problem and no more PIO mode now Ultra DMA mode 2 so thats good. I would
have like to have tried the SMART ERASE part but it's bundled in the nero
8 and this dimension 8200 is a little long in the tooth for the newer
software.
Thanks all!

Larry

From: Ben Myers on
On 7/9/2010 3:49 AM, Larry wrote:
> Ben Myers<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in
>
>> On 7/7/2010 5:55 PM, Larry wrote:
>>> Ordered a Liteon iHAP422-98 and the media list a bunch i can not get
>>> local. I used to get Maxell no problem,but they stop carrying it
>>> local (have to order). Does anybody use Verbatium with this unit? and
>>> if so how well does it work?.
>>> Thanks Larry
>>
>> Larry,
>>
>> The question is what you will be burning onto DVDs. For me, the
>> cheapest brand possible for most things, because I burn Linux DVDs
>> whenever a new release comes out. They are essentially throwawys when
>> the next releases are posted.
>>
>> For more permanent items like archiving personal data, I would
>> recommend a long-standing name brand like the Maxell or Verbatim you
>> mention... Ben Myers
>>

> Verbatim and a couple of others i can get locale. The weird part is i
> used to use Maxell all the time. Then they stopped being sold where i
> live, an online is the only place now. So far the drive is working no
> problem and no more PIO mode now Ultra DMA mode 2 so thats good. I would
> have like to have tried the SMART ERASE part but it's bundled in the nero
> 8 and this dimension 8200 is a little long in the tooth for the newer
> software.
> Thanks all!
>
> Larry

Well, download and install CDBurnerXP and/or ImgBurn, both free
downloads that work with just about any DVD/CD-RW drive, unlike Nero,
Roxio and other commercial products which often lock you into a certain
choice of drives. Not sure if either has "smart erase." My only
complaint about either is that they are VERY exacting on the capacity of
a CD or DVD blank. When I have to burn a new Linux distro, both
complain that the distro is too large for the capacity of the blank CD.
I use Nero instead, and it burns the CD properly, apparently going a
little bit over on the measured capacity... Ben Myers

From: Larry on

> On 7/9/2010 3:49 AM, Larry wrote:
>> Ben Myers<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in

>>> Larry,
>>>
>>> The question is what you will be burning onto DVDs. For me, the
>>> cheapest brand possible for most things, because I burn Linux DVDs
>>> whenever a new release comes out. They are essentially throwawys
>>> when the next releases are posted.
>>>
>>> For more permanent items like archiving personal data, I would
>>> recommend a long-standing name brand like the Maxell or Verbatim you
>>> mention... Ben Myers
>>>

>> Verbatim and a couple of others i can get locale. The weird part is i
>> used to use Maxell all the time. Then they stopped being sold where i
>> live, an online is the only place now. So far the drive is working no
>> problem and no more PIO mode now Ultra DMA mode 2 so thats good. I
>> would have like to have tried the SMART ERASE part but it's bundled
>> in the nero 8 and this dimension 8200 is a little long in the tooth
>> for the newer software.
>> Thanks all!
>>
>> Larry
>>

> Well, download and install CDBurnerXP and/or ImgBurn, both free
> downloads that work with just about any DVD/CD-RW drive, unlike Nero,
> Roxio and other commercial products which often lock you into a
> certain choice of drives. Not sure if either has "smart erase." My
> only complaint about either is that they are VERY exacting on the
> capacity of a CD or DVD blank. When I have to burn a new Linux
> distro, both complain that the distro is too large for the capacity of
> the blank CD.
> I use Nero instead, and it burns the CD properly, apparently going a
> little bit over on the measured capacity... Ben Myers

I used Imgburn, pretty good. Have not tried the other. Been using easy
media creator for years an except a couple of MS upgrades it did does the
job.Maybe try nero next time.

Thanks Larry
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: dvi connections
Next: Studio XPS Laptop Seems to Run HOT