From: MightyKitten on
John Hood wrote:
<Schnappi>
> Sure will. I'm marking this thread as a keeper for a possible
> "Greenware" page on my site.
>
> On a side note. Anyone know how to get a thumb drive back from the
> dead? I have one I can read from, but not save to. Took me five
> times to get the computer to read it.
>
> Is this an entry in the circular hall of fame? or can I get some life
> out of it. Less than 6 months old.
>
> John H.

Hmm, no waarranty you can fall back on?
Well, I've once succesfully resrored a photo memory card by
Sealing is in airtight plasic and then Freeze it for 48 hours in a 5 star
freezer.

but a thumbdrive might be something different. Maybe a simple format can
help, using windos 2000 or better?

Jeroen de Bruijn
--
http://www.it-hulp.nl

From: John Hood on
Susan Bugher wrote:

> John Hood wrote:
>
>> I'm marking this thread as a keeper for a possible "Greenware" page
>> on my site.
>

> Good idea. :) You might consider suggesting some Webware - on-line
> bookmarks for instance. I think that might be a good choice for your
> traveling salesman - probably easier than constantly updating a
> bookmark file on the thumb drive.
>
> Susan

Susan: Sure will. Do you have a specific one in mind?

All: I am now testing my theory using a 128 meg thumb drive and
suggestions from the group.

Word Processor: AbiWord-Thumb
Spreadsheet - Spread32
Browser - Portable Firefox
Schedule Contacts and notes - EssentialPIM
FTP client - IFTP
To Do list - DoToo
Search Tool - Snowbird Search
Games - Cube, WinPiano
Audio Player- Coolplayer
ZipTool- Zip100
File Comp Tool - ExamDiff
White noise Generator - serene sound

Someone suggested Tomahawk - but mine kept erroring out.

Keep suggestions coming. It is very cool to be able to carry a full
suite of apps and data from work to home - around my neck!

John Hood
Web Site www.jhoodsoft.org
"The best home and business free software, no ads, no time limits, no
fluff."
"No kidding."

From: juliuslr on
This is really cool. Could you also post the "executable" size of the
apps? That way as the list grows we can pick/substitue what we have in
our thumb drives at a glance. Just to confirm, these are standalone
apps without DLLs and registry stuff, right?

Susan, are you compiling these apps so we can all download at a "one
stop shopping" place? Thanks.

From: Susan Bugher on
John Hood wrote:
> Susan Bugher wrote:
>> John Hood wrote:

>>> I'm marking this thread as a keeper for a possible "Greenware" page
>>> on my site.
>>
>> Good idea. :) You might consider suggesting some Webware - on-line
>> bookmarks for instance. I think that might be a good choice for your
>> traveling salesman - probably easier than constantly updating a
>> bookmark file on the thumb drive.

> Susan: Sure will. Do you have a specific one in mind?

Nope - I never felt the need *before* - now you've got me thinking about
it. :) There are several listed on the Webware page that were
suggested by other ACF participants:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Webware.php

> Keep suggestions coming. It is very cool to be able to carry a full
> suite of apps and data from work to home - around my neck!

I think your idea can be extended to those of us who *don't* have thumb
drives too.

I just got a Gmail account - I could upload apps there and download them
when I'm away from home and want to use them. ISTM this would work with
Gmail or *any* kind of on-line storage that's easily accessible. . .

When I'm on vacation or visiting a friend etc. etc. it would be pretty
handy to be able to do that. Make that *will* be pretty handy. ;)

Thanks for starting this thread.

Susan

From: Susan Bugher on
juliuslr(a)gmail.com wrote:

> This is really cool. Could you also post the "executable" size of the
> apps? That way as the list grows we can pick/substitue what we have in
> our thumb drives at a glance. Just to confirm, these are standalone
> apps without DLLs and registry stuff, right?
>
> Susan, are you compiling these apps so we can all download at a "one
> stop shopping" place? Thanks.

Heavens no. This is John Hood's project. I'm just standing on the
sidelines offering suggestions and watching John work. ;)

If John does decide to create a web page it will probably have detailed
information and recommendations. The ACF program pages don't aspire to
that. . .

I do add (n.i.) (n.r.) notations to the programs listed on the ACF
program pages when I'm *aware* that an app qualifies. (There are likely
many that qualify that haven't been marked as yet.)

and. . .

You *can* sort any of the ACF program pages on the "I" column to group
the "no install", "no registry entries" apps but that's far from one
stop shopping/downloading (there's no detailed description and most
links are to the home page for the app).

Susan
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Drive Image
Next: FWT Newsletter - Weekly - March 7, 2005