From: John Hood on
Hey all.

On Friday I needed a VERY small audio player for my computer at work (to
drown out the giant sucking sound coming from the executive department),
and of course, stopped off at alt.Comp.Freeware to see what people here
thought. I checked out CoolPlayer and went WOW!. To all who recommended
it, thank you.

Which brings me to my second point, and my freeware task for this
weekend: Greenware. I issues a challenge to myself:

Put a salesman (by name "Chris Sells") on the road, making sales calls
and presentations all across the U.S. and Europe - without a laptop and
no budget for software. The only thing Chris has is two 256 meg thumb
drives, one for data, one for applications. Assume that Chris has
access to a Windows 32bit computer with web access in every hotel
(software loaded - unknown), and further assume that the home office
provides web mail capability for Chris to use . What would I put on the
first thumb drive?
Here is what I found so far:

Schedule and Contacts - Essential PIM
Word Processor - Abiword for ThumbDrives.
Audio player (gotta have tunes) - Coolplayer.
Spreadsheet - Spread32 (nagware, but livable) or xSpread.
Presenter or graphics software - ??? (may not be necessary of
presentations are canned).
Zip util - 100zipper

That's as far as I;ve gotten. One thing would be a PDF reader, but I
don't think Adobe has a no-install version of Reader so we can only hope
the hotel computers have it.

PowerPoint, Wink and OOo Presenter can create presentations that
self-execute, so a presenter isn't essential.

John Hood
Web Site www.jhoodsoft.org
"The best home and business free software, no ads, no time limits, no
fluff."
"No kidding."

From: MightyKitten on
John Hood wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> On Friday I needed a VERY small audio player for my computer at work
> (to drown out the giant sucking sound coming from the executive
> department), and of course, stopped off at alt.Comp.Freeware to see
> what people here thought. I checked out CoolPlayer and went WOW!. To
> all who recommended it, thank you.
>
> Which brings me to my second point, and my freeware task for this
> weekend: Greenware. I issues a challenge to myself:
>
> Put a salesman (by name "Chris Sells") on the road, making sales calls
> and presentations all across the U.S. and Europe - without a laptop
> and no budget for software. The only thing Chris has is two 256 meg
> thumb drives, one for data, one for applications. Assume that Chris
> has access to a Windows 32bit computer with web access in every hotel
> (software loaded - unknown), and further assume that the home office
> provides web mail capability for Chris to use . What would I put on
> the first thumb drive?
> Here is what I found so far:
>
> Schedule and Contacts - Essential PIM
> Word Processor - Abiword for ThumbDrives.
> Audio player (gotta have tunes) - Coolplayer.
> Spreadsheet - Spread32 (nagware, but livable) or xSpread.
> Presenter or graphics software - ??? (may not be necessary of
> presentations are canned).
> Zip util - 100zipper
>
> That's as far as I;ve gotten. One thing would be a PDF reader, but I
> don't think Adobe has a no-install version of Reader so we can only
> hope the hotel computers have it.
>
> PowerPoint, Wink and OOo Presenter can create presentations that
> self-execute, so a presenter isn't essential.
>
> John Hood
> Web Site www.jhoodsoft.org
> "The best home and business free software, no ads, no time limits, no
> fluff."
> "No kidding."

Let's see...
I've only a 128 MB USB Drive (For general purposes) with the next items:
Tomahawk
http://nativewinds.montana.com/software/tomahawk.html
Can write to PDF, RTF or TXT files, export to HTML, WorksSuite and word
files
CAD-KAs pdf reader
http://www.cadkas.de/downengpdf5.php
Not realy my favorite, but after installation, the containing folder can
be copied to a usb drive without problems
MyDBF3
http://www.jansfreeware.com/
Simple DBas compatible database
Treepad Lite
http://www.treepad.com/
For a treelike Database
Diagrams
http://www.jansfreeware.com/
For simple diagrams
Abykus
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Business/Enhanced_Calculators/Abykus.html
Works different as Excel, but is capable of doing most of the math stuff
you want.
IZArc
http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/
(Zip/7zip/ARJ/RAR, ect) compression tool
Micros Burner
http://www.silentnight2004.com/
If you got lukcy and find a cd burner (and have some blank CDs)
iOpusSEA
http://www.iopus.com/freeware/secure-email/
To encrypt data into exe files for Sending
Snowbird
http://www.geocities.com/casablanca2000in/msp/
Harddisk search
Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
Basic virus cleansing software
SamSpade
(TCP/IP & internet troubleshooting
Eraser
http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
To grealy shred files you wan to delete (A must if you use public PCs)
Free Undelete
http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/
To recover the accidently deleted files (No way you can get files back
that are deleted withEraser)
Antipol
http://www.angryziber.com/tools/
Probably not needed, but this gem can breack trough any windows 9x
poilcies active on the system.
Can be usefull in some rare cases, and with a 10kb size it does not hurt
to add it to the usb drive
xmplay
http://www.un4seen.com/
Audio player Low in CPU and memory needs, still being quite good
svrecorder10be
http://www.addict3d.org/index.php?page=downloadfile&ID=2739
Record sounds to MP3
Irfanview
http://www.irfanview.com/
To view photo's
PhotoFiltre
http://www.photofiltre.com
To edit photo's

Though you can make both thunderbird and Firefox functinal on a USB drive, I
prefer the next ones, because they are significant smaller in size

Pimmy
http://www.geminisoft.com/it/
Mail check & read client
Off By one
Webbrowser
http://www.offbyone.com/
simple selfcontaining webbrowser
miranda-im-0.3.2
http://www.miranda-im.org/
Messenger for MSN Yahoo, ICQ
Filezilla
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
IMHO best freeware FTP client

I did not name everything, as some software should not be of interest for
your cause,

Also 2 notes:

#1 Some software may not be freeware for commercial use
#2 Somesoftware does have an installer, but can be copied in the containing
map to the USB Drive

Sugestion:

Create a html file with links to all the programs, to have a sort of start
centre.

That's all

Jeroen de Bruijn

From: John Hood on
MightyKitten wrote:

> [...]
> http://www.geminisoft.com/it/
> Mail check & read client
>Off By one
> Webbrowser
> http://www.offbyone.com/
> simple selfcontaining webbrowser
>miranda-im-0.3.2
> http://www.miranda-im.org/
> Messenger for MSN Yahoo, ICQ
>Filezilla
> http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
> IMHO best freeware FTP client
>
>I did not name everything, as some software should not be of interest for
>your cause,
>
>Also 2 notes:
>
>#1 Some software may not be freeware for commercial use
>#2 Somesoftware does have an installer, but can be copied in the containing
>map to the USB Drive
>
>Sugestion:
>
>Create a html file with links to all the programs, to have a sort of start

Holy cow, what a list! Anyone else?

From: Klaatu on
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:15:43 GMT, John Hood posted to alt.comp.freeware:

> Holy cow, what a list! Anyone else?

Here's what I've got "installed" on my 1Gb thumbdrive:

1by1 - http://www.mpesch3.de1.cc/#1by1
A43 - http://www.shawneelink.net/~bgmiller/
AutoIt3 - http://www.autoitscript.com
CDCheck - http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/
LCISOCreator - http://www.lucersoft.com/freeware.php
CSVdb - no longer available?
DirKey - http://www.protonfx.com/dirkey/
ExamDiff - http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_examdiff
freeCommander - http://www.freecommander.com/index_en.htm
GammaPanel - http://www.stars.benchmark.pl/index.php?show=gapa
GenControl - http://www.gensortium.com/products/gencontrol.html
IconShop - http://users.pandora.be/liontech/Downloads.htm
IZArc - http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm
Junction Link Magic - http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm
KeyNote - http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html
MWSnap - http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html
NetPing - http://www.sliver.com/dotnet/index.aspx
Neutron - http://keir.net/neutron.html
OpenTTD - http://www.openttd.com
Oubiette - http://www.tranglos.com/free/index.html
Portable Firefox - http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org/
PSPad - http://www.pspad.com/index_en.html
Serene Sound - http://serenesound.com/serenesound/
VNC Neighborhood - http://www.sysworksoft.net/products/vncnbhood.html
VNC Viewer - http://www.ultravnc.com
Xcalc - http://www.tordivel.no/xcalc/

I'm pretty sure all of the above are freeware. And I'm always looking for
other freeware programs to add to the list. Thanks for starting this
thread, John.

--
"Some folks are dissatisfied with free enterprise if it doesn't work
perfectly, and satisfied with government if it works at all."
From: John Hood on
Susan Bugher wrote:

> Klaatu wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:15:43 GMT, John Hood posted to alt.comp.freeware:
>>

>>> Holy cow, what a list! Anyone else?
>>

>> Here's what I've got "installed" on my 1Gb thumbdrive:
>>
>> 1by1 - http://www.mpesch3.de1.cc/#1by1
>> A43 - http://www.shawneelink.net/~bgmiller/
>> AutoIt3 - http://www.autoitscript.com
>> CDCheck - http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/
>> LCISOCreator - http://www.lucersoft.com/freeware.php
>> CSVdb - no longer available?
>> DirKey - http://www.protonfx.com/dirkey/
>> ExamDiff - http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_examdiff
>> freeCommander - http://www.freecommander.com/index_en.htm
>> GammaPanel - http://www.stars.benchmark.pl/index.php?show=gapa
>> GenControl - http://www.gensortium.com/products/gencontrol.html
>> IconShop - http://users.pandora.be/liontech/Downloads.htm
>> IZArc - http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm
>> Junction Link Magic - http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm
>> KeyNote - http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html
>> MWSnap - http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html
>> NetPing - http://www.sliver.com/dotnet/index.aspx
>> Neutron - http://keir.net/neutron.html
>> OpenTTD - http://www.openttd.com
>> Oubiette - http://www.tranglos.com/free/index.html
>> Portable Firefox - http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org/
>> PSPad - http://www.pspad.com/index_en.html
>> Serene Sound - http://serenesound.com/serenesound/
>> VNC Neighborhood - http://www.sysworksoft.net/products/vncnbhood.html
>> VNC Viewer - http://www.ultravnc.com
>> Xcalc - http://www.tordivel.no/xcalc/
>>
>> I'm pretty sure all of the above are freeware. And I'm always looking
>> for
>> other freeware programs to add to the list. Thanks for starting this
>> thread, John.
>

> Perhaps you'll find something if you scroll down the list of ACF
> programs. Sorted on the I (install) column:
>
> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php?sortby=I
>
> I haven't seen Convert mentioned yet. ISTM that might come in handy:
>
> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005BUSINESS-HOME.php#0156-PW
>
> Susan

Sure will. I'm marking this thread as a keeper for a possible
"Greenware" page on my site.

On a side note. Anyone know how to get a thumb drive back from the
dead? I have one I can read from, but not save to. Took me five times
to get the computer to read it.

Is this an entry in the circular hall of fame? or can I get some life
out of it. Less than 6 months old.

John H.