From: Bill Cunningham on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hg7d94$l44$1(a)aioe.org...

> When handling RAM
>
> 1) Turn off all power on the computer. Make sure the switch
> on the back is off.
> 2) Use an antistatic bag to hold the RAM, while you're making changes.
> 3) Use a wrist strap, whose purpose is to hold you at the same
> potential as the computer chassis.
>
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2479151
>
> 4) Make sure you're inserting the RAM correctly. Align the key
> with the slot. Make sure the RAM is fully seated, and both
> latches are flush against the side of the RAM. Don't turn on
> power to the computer, until the RAM is safely in place. If
> crooked, the wrong contacts could make contact and ruin the RAM
> when the power is applied. One poster even tried to saw a new
> slot in the RAM to make it fit - don't do that :-) If the slot
> doesn't match the key, you bought the wrong kind of RAM
> (FPM/EDO, SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3, RDRAM etc).

I have a 1 meg Ohm resistor in a wrist strap. It has a clip to clip onto
the computer chassis. Would that keep from harming the componets?

Bill

From: Paul on
Bill Cunningham wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hg7d94$l44$1(a)aioe.org...
>
>> When handling RAM
>>
>> 1) Turn off all power on the computer. Make sure the switch
>> on the back is off.
>> 2) Use an antistatic bag to hold the RAM, while you're making changes.
>> 3) Use a wrist strap, whose purpose is to hold you at the same
>> potential as the computer chassis.
>>
>> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2479151
>>
>> 4) Make sure you're inserting the RAM correctly. Align the key
>> with the slot. Make sure the RAM is fully seated, and both
>> latches are flush against the side of the RAM. Don't turn on
>> power to the computer, until the RAM is safely in place. If
>> crooked, the wrong contacts could make contact and ruin the RAM
>> when the power is applied. One poster even tried to saw a new
>> slot in the RAM to make it fit - don't do that :-) If the slot
>> doesn't match the key, you bought the wrong kind of RAM
>> (FPM/EDO, SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3, RDRAM etc).
>
> I have a 1 meg Ohm resistor in a wrist strap. It has a clip to clip onto
> the computer chassis. Would that keep from harming the componets?
>
> Bill

The ESD wrist strap, is for safely helping to bring things to the
same potential (equipotential). Yes, it is a better solution while
working on the computer, than zapping things with your fingers.
At one time, a RAM purchase may have included a paper (disposable)
wrist strap. Having your own proper wrist strap, means being
able to reuse it at a future date.

Paul

From: Paul on
Bill Cunningham wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hg7d94$l44$1(a)aioe.org...
>
>> Your hard drive is Seagate, so you can go to their site and get a
>> copy of Seatools for DOS. I run mine from a floppy. The download
>> provides all the software necessary to make a standalone bootable
>> test floppy. Boot from the floppy, then select the drive to test.
>> The test is read-only.
>
> I kind of thought so. I don't have in the computer a 3.5" floppy or
> floppy of any kind nor an external one. Would these tests work then?
>
> Bill

Seagate offers more than one option, so find a method that
matches your available hardware. I use floppy, because all
my machines have a floppy. Check the web page and see what
other options they offer.

Paul
From: Smiles on
try a disk utility for checking disk info I like hdsdos.zip
from http://www.hdsentinel.com/

From: Bill Cunningham on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hgaf83$lf8$1(a)aioe.org...

> The ESD wrist strap, is for safely helping to bring things to the
> same potential (equipotential). Yes, it is a better solution while
> working on the computer, than zapping things with your fingers.
> At one time, a RAM purchase may have included a paper (disposable)
> wrist strap. Having your own proper wrist strap, means being
> able to reuse it at a future date.

Is there any way to run a voltage or continuity test with a multi meter
on the ram sticks? To see if they're good.

Bill

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: customizing folders with desktop.ini
Next: XP Lockup..CPU?