From: Bill Cunningham on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hgg6gh$i2$1(a)aioe.org...

> The purpose of that test, is to prevent a motherboard from
> burning a contact, due to a dead short across the DIMM. I
> can't say I've done this test myself, but it would have
> saved a few people from a mess, after they purchased
> extra memory. I would reserve such a test, for memory
> products with a dodgy history (memory that comes in a
> baggie, from Ebay).

I'm kinda confused now. Would you not recommend getting any DDRAM from
Ebay then?

Bill

From: Paul on
Bill Cunningham wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hgg6gh$i2$1(a)aioe.org...
>
>> The purpose of that test, is to prevent a motherboard from
>> burning a contact, due to a dead short across the DIMM. I
>> can't say I've done this test myself, but it would have
>> saved a few people from a mess, after they purchased
>> extra memory. I would reserve such a test, for memory
>> products with a dodgy history (memory that comes in a
>> baggie, from Ebay).
>
> I'm kinda confused now. Would you not recommend getting any DDRAM from
> Ebay then?
>
> Bill

I wouldn't. It's a gamble. You may save $20, over the price
at a retailer. But you may not have a warranty, and RAM
does seem to have a pretty significant failure rate, for
something that doesn't wear out.

At the very least, look at the reviews for various SKUs
on Newegg. Even some manufacturers with relatively good
reputations, have products with high failure rates or a
lot of DOAs. So at the very least, you'd want to identify
a product with a good track record. Then your exposure
on things like testing or warranty, won't be quite so bad.

But if a module is advertised on EBay as "generic" with
Samsung chips, you don't know what care and attention
there was to testing or packaging (with proper ESD precautions).
They use the word "Samsung" to win your trust, but
Samsung had nothing to do with the actual DIMM
manufacturing steps. Samsung just made the chips.

I've bought generic RAM locally, and had failures in both
cases. Now I go with branded stuff, and do a check to
see if the SKU in question is a good one or not.

Paul