From: Bill in Co. on
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
> [...]
>> test
>> 200 Infinity 1.01V Low
>> 2K infinity 1.01V Low
>> 20K Infinity 0.48V Low
>> 200K infinity 0.43V Low
>> 2M "0.995" 0.23V Low OK, see interpretation
>> 20M "0.99" 0.04V Low
>> 2000M "001" 0.27V ??? suspicious
>>
>> (Note - a separate set of tests were done, and the "ohms" multimeter
>> never applied more than 1 milliamp of current to the test leads. Typical
>> silicon clamp diodes are rated for about 10 milliamps. So there is
>> no danger from the level of current flow either.)
>>
>> In the 2 megohm test case, the "volts" multimeter appears to
>> have only a 1 megohm input impedance. Half of the open circuit
>> voltage is across the "volts" multimeter, and half is across
>> the constant current source inside the meter. We could conclude
>> from that, that the actual open circuit voltage applied
>> by the multimeter, is 2 * 0.23 volts or 0.46V. And that is suitable
>> for low power ohms. So you actually have to stare at the display
>> on both devices to understand what is going on.
>>
>> My suspicion is, the "insulation test" range on my multimeter, is
>> actually high power ohms. It is pretty hard to test insulation,
>> with a low voltage. Insulation testing would normally be done
>> with a "megger". Since I am suspicious of what I see for the
>> 2000M range, I likely would not switch to it while working on
>> the average PCB.
>>
>> There are quality voltmeters, with much higher input impedance
>> than my $20 "volts" multimeter used in this test. For such a
>> device (perhaps a $1000 unit), I likely would not need interpretation
>> except for the last test case. And the voltmeter in that case, could
>> tell me what the open circuit voltage is, correctly, for the
>> rest of the ranges.
>>
>> The $20 meter is the one I lend to friends :-)
>>
>> So there are six ranges on my $100 multimeter, that I'd use on a DIMM.
>> Without being concerned about any side effects to the silicon.
>>
>> Some older meters, like my analog Simpson, are a bit meaner.
>> They apply nine volts open circuit, and would be unsuited
>> for this purpose. I could have run the same set of tests for
>> my Simpson, but there is no point, because I simply wouldn't
>> use it. My Simpson is good for volts "trend analysis", as digital
>> meters aren't perfect for all purposes. There are still
>> occasions for reaching for my oldest multimeter. "Ohms" would
>> not be one of those reasons.
>>
>> If a person had concerns about any silicon device they were
>> working on, they could look in the datasheet for inspiration.
>> I haven't done that in this case for the memory chip. I'm reasonably
>> confident, that the six tested ranges on my multimeter, would
>> be safe enough.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul
>
> Regardless of the characteristics of any multimeter, it is a totally
> unsuitable device for checking out a RAM chip.

That is correct.

From: Bill in Co. on
Paul wrote:
> [...]
>>> use it. My Simpson is good for volts "trend analysis", as digital
>>> meters aren't perfect for all purposes. There are still
>>> occasions for reaching for my oldest multimeter. "Ohms" would
>>> not be one of those reasons.
>>>
>>> If a person had concerns about any silicon device they were
>>> working on, they could look in the datasheet for inspiration.
>>> I haven't done that in this case for the memory chip. I'm reasonably
>>> confident, that the six tested ranges on my multimeter, would
>>> be safe enough.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Paul
>>
>> Regardless of the characteristics of any multimeter, it is a totally
>> unsuitable device for checking out a RAM chip.
>
> Doing an ohms test on the chip itself has no meaning. (Like measuring
> the resistance from DQ0 to DQ7. That wouldn't mean anything in

Exactly. It can be fairly useful for some discrete devices like diodes
and transistors, however, but is completely inadequate for integrated
circuits.

> If you're checking continuity on a series damping resistor,
> that could be used as a check that the wiring is OK. For
> example, doing this, shows the resistor pack is soldered
> down OK.
>
> contact ---- resistor ----- Memory_chip
> ^ ^
> | |
> +- ohm from here to here -+
>
> There aren't a lot of other tests you can do.

And that's a pretty limited test.

> If you buy "generic" DIMMs by the barrel full, one good test
> to run, is measure the rail to rail resistance. Some failed
> cheap bypass caps are a dead short, and can cause the motherboard
> socket to get burned. (I've seen reports of this on Newegg.)

Again, that is a pretty limited test. Extremely limited!!

> If you were doing incoming inspection, a quick check between
> rails might be a good test. (We actually used to do that
> for large circuit packs as well, as an optional test before
> applying power. I was surprised, while recording the results
> for this test, how well correlated it was. There was little
> unit to unit variation, in the ones I recorded. If something
> was out of the ordinary, I wouldn't plug in the unit, until
> determining why.)
>
> But I can't see a lot of reasons to be using a multimeter
> on a DIMM.

Because there really aren't any, for all practical purposes. Simply
checking whether or not a capacitor on the board is shorted is a very
limited test of the IC (actually, it's not even testing the IC itself).

From: Bill Cunningham on

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Paul, this only applies to checking *discrete* devices, like diodes and
> transistors, it does not apply to integrated circuits.

So I couldn't use a multimeter to check my machine's transformer that
steps down 120 V powersupply or the system buses in the motherboard?

Bill

From: Bill in Co. on
Bill Cunningham wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> Paul, this only applies to checking *discrete* devices, like diodes and
>> transistors, it does not apply to integrated circuits.
>
> So I couldn't use a multimeter to check my machine's transformer that
> steps down 120 V powersupply or the system buses in the motherboard?
>
> Bill

Of course you could. We were talking about semiconductor devices (like ICs
= integrated circuits) in this discussion, not transformers, resistors, etc.
But just FYI, a transformer is also a discrete (i.e. not integrated) device.
:-)

From: Bill Cunningham on

> Of course you could. We were talking about semiconductor devices (like
> ICs = integrated circuits) in this discussion, not transformers,
> resistors, etc. But just FYI, a transformer is also a discrete (i.e. not
> integrated) device. :-)

Isn't the motherboard, system bus, address bus and so on made of ICs?
Can a person test memory with a multimeter via the motherboard and its
bridges?

Bill

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: customizing folders with desktop.ini
Next: XP Lockup..CPU?