From: Matteo on

JBGM ha scritto:

> Hello everyone. I have a very simple problem in which the HP 50g fails
> miserably, and the TI-89 solves only by half. I cannot get the
> solution to a simple equation in the HP50g:
> SOLVE('LN(X)+SIN(X)+X^2=0', 'X') I receive the error: "SOLVE Error:
> Not reducible to a rational expression" I have changed the
> configuration parameters in MODE > CAS without success.
>
> Is there any configuration setting or parameter I am missing? Should I
> use another function? SOLVE works fine with a trivial equation; when I
> enter SOLVE(' X^2-4*X+8=0', 'X'), it returns {X=2-2*I, X=2+2*i}, which
> is correct.
>
> The TI-89 finds half the answer to the initial problem using the
> complex solver command "cSolve(LN(X)+SIN(X)-X^2=0, X)" The TI-89
> returns 0.490672, which is the real root. TI's real solver "solve"
> finds the real root too. But the TI-89 fails to return the complex
> root 0.8775 + 0.2558i
>
> The tests were done with PC emulators for HP 50g and TI-89. Could
> someone help, please? I would expect the HP 50g to actually find the
> complex root, or at the very least the real root, since there is
> consensus in the scientific community that HP 50g is superior to the
> TI-89 for advanced math. Or is the TI-89 superior? I am trying to
> decide which one is better for advanced math in order to purchase it.
>
> Before someone answers that I should use Maple or Mathematica (how do
> you think I obtained the complex root?), here goes the explanation:
> I'm a professional mathematician who wants to use a CAS in a handheld
> device for a research project. I have to do massive symbolic
> computations while I move across large library's shelves, so carrying
> a laptop is simply annoying.

Hp49g+ (50G) can solve this equation numerically. it is obviusly that
it can. :-)
you must use the command 'root' in this way:
in user rpl mode

3: 'ln(x)+sin(x)+x^2=0' the equation
2: 'x' the indipendent variable
1: 2. the initial value of the
variable
---> root

and you have the solution.
if you want complex solutions you must put a complex initial value for
x. With this command (root) you find only one solution....

About calculator cas : I haven't a TI89, but I think that both ti89
and hp49(50) are the most powerful calc with cas in the world. I like
a lot the hp cas because every day I discover new features like
particular systems flags for solve exact and simbolic big linear
sistems 70*70 :) :) :), ecc....and hp has a so powerful programming
language that the only thing that you can do i to have dreams...

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
"Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" <DROP_vpn(a)dlc.fi> wrote in message

I tried with checking that REALASSUME list had X and Y defined
and that the last flag in the Flag Browser said the Complex Vars are allowed
Then I tried:
3: ['LN(Z)+SIN(Z)+Z^2']
2: ['Z']
1: [(-1.,-1)]
MSLV
and I got (using FIX 2 setting to ease up the writing here)
1: [(-1.39,-0.98)]

What do you say to that folks?

From: gei209711 on
On Feb 11, 3:33 pm, "JBGM" <Literatron...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone. I have a very simple problem in which the HP 50g fails
> miserably, and the TI-89 solves only by half. I cannot get the
> solution to a simple equation in the HP50g:
> SOLVE('LN(X)+SIN(X)+X^2=0', 'X') I receive the error: "SOLVE Error:
> Not reducible to a rational expression" I have changed the
> configuration parameters in MODE > CAS without success.
>
> Is there any configuration setting or parameter I am missing? Should I
> use another function? SOLVE works fine with a trivial equation; when I
> enter SOLVE(' X^2-4*X+8=0', 'X'), it returns {X=2-2*I, X=2+2*i}, which
> is correct.
>
> The TI-89 finds half the answer to the initial problem using the
> complex solver command "cSolve(LN(X)+SIN(X)-X^2=0, X)" The TI-89
> returns 0.490672, which is the real root. TI's real solver "solve"
> finds the real root too. But the TI-89 fails to return the complex
> root 0.8775 + 0.2558i
>
> The tests were done with PC emulators for HP 50g and TI-89. Could
> someone help, please? I would expect the HP 50g to actually find the
> complex root, or at the very least the real root, since there is
> consensus in the scientific community that HP 50g is superior to the
> TI-89 for advanced math. Or is the TI-89 superior? I am trying to
> decide which one is better for advanced math in order to purchase it.
>
> Before someone answers that I should use Maple or Mathematica (how do
> you think I obtained the complex root?), here goes the explanation:
> I'm a professional mathematician who wants to use a CAS in a handheld
> device for a research project. I have to do massive symbolic
> computations while I move across large library's shelves, so carrying
> a laptop is simply annoying.

Or you can use the solve equation screen. Use NUM.SLV (right shift 7),
menu 1, enter into equation 'ln(x)+sin(x)+x^2=0', move cursor to x and
hit solve.

From: JBGM on
Thank you all for you answers. I confirmed that in deed HP 50g is a
better option than TI-89 for my needs.

From: Matteo on
Yes. I'm wrong about complex solutions with "root". This command can
find only real solutions. pardon :-)
Without external libraries like the powerful solvesys, the Veli
Pekka's method is perfect. and also in this case the solution to the
problem is around a flag. fine, very fine!