From: reth on
On Feb 13, 1:20 pm, "Helen" <GHMohia...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 8:53 am, "JBGM" <Literatron...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Besides, the example you give is hardly an example for a "massive
> > > symbolic computation"...
>
> > But just an example of the device's mathematical capability.
>
> The example you gave has next to nothing at all to do with symbolics.
> Somewhat unexpected if what you are interested in is symbolics.
>
> > The world is fairly rich and complex, so be less surprised when you do not
> > understand causes and reasons; you might be missing the rest of the
> > iceberg ;-)
>
> I won't comment. How you want to do your work is really none of my
> business.
> You may disregard my idle comment on this.
>
> > The algorithm is simple: if (estimated hours saved * personal labor
> > hour cost per hour) - (cost of calculator + time invested in training
> > * personal labor hour cost per hour) > 0 then go calculator. So far, I
> > go calculator.
>
> Maybe your algorithm is a bit too simple...
>
> > BTW TI-89 seems to have superior symbolic manipulation
> > capabilities FOR MY PURPOSE. Look athttp://technicalc.org/tifaq/?tivshp.htm.
> > HP 50g seems fairly superior in numerics.
>
> I am familiar with the differences. I agree that everything depends on
> your specific purpose. There are cases where the TI may be the better
> choice, for others the HP is better. Since you can try the caluclators
> via their emulators, you can find out yourself, and answer your own
> question much more reliable than any comparison on some website could.
>
> Good luck with your work!

Are you married, Helen? I bet you're not and never will be. :)
reth

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
"reth" <reth(a)abv.bg> wrote in message
> On Feb 13, 1:20 pm, "Helen" <GHMohia...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 8:53 am, "JBGM" <Literatron...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you married, Helen? I bet you're not and never will be. :)
> reth

Unless, Reth, you are talking to a male troll,
who has plagued this newsgroup many years...

From: Steen Schmidt on
Marcin Witek wrote:

> >> What guess value for ROOT are you using on HP?
> > Zero.
>
> With guess value of 0 my TI-89 Titanium computes this in about 9
> seconds, but with guess value of 1 it does it in just 2 seconds.

Then you're using nSolve() and not Solve().

Regards
Steen
From: Marcin Witek on
Steen Schmidt wrote:
>> With guess value of 0 my TI-89 Titanium computes this in about 9
>> seconds, but with guess value of 1 it does it in just 2 seconds.
> Then you're using nSolve() and not Solve().

Hmm... With nsolve my results are about 6 seconds for guess value 0 and
about 1~2 seconds for guess value of 1...

Wit
From: Steen Schmidt on
Marcin Witek wrote:

> >> With guess value of 0 my TI-89 Titanium computes this in about 9
> >> seconds, but with guess value of 1 it does it in just 2 seconds.
> > Then you're using nSolve() and not Solve().
>
> Hmm... With nsolve my results are about 6 seconds for guess value 0
> and about 1~2 seconds for guess value of 1...

Solve() do not provide a way to supply a starting guess, so you're
using nSolve() for your timings. Since you didn't know that, I guess
you were using the Numeric Solver app, which internally uses nSolve().
It's important to state how you solve a problem if we are to be able to
compare execution times.

Regards
Steen