From: Steen Schmidt on
Marcin Witek wrote:

> What guess value for ROOT are you using on HP?

Zero.

Regards
Steen
From: Marcin Witek on
Steen Schmidt wrote:
>> What guess value for ROOT are you using on HP?
> Zero.

With guess value of 0 my TI-89 Titanium computes this in about 9 seconds,
but with guess value of 1 it does it in just 2 seconds.

Wit
From: Virgil on
In article <74ddk2t6tz9y.dlg(a)wit.ummagumma>,
Marcin Witek <NOwitSPAM(a)malenstwo.iinf.polsl.gliwice.pl> wrote:

> Steen Schmidt wrote:
> >> What guess value for ROOT are you using on HP?
> > Zero.
>
> With guess value of 0 my TI-89 Titanium computes this in about 9 seconds,
> but with guess value of 1 it does it in just 2 seconds.

On my HP49+, the ROOT command finds the real root of the equation in
under 1 second from either guess.

But MSLV won't work with a guess of 0 because LN(X) is not defined there.
From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:18:03 -0600:

> MSLV won't work with a guess of 0 because LN(X) is not defined there.

Didn't my examples work with one starting guess of [(0,0)] ?

In the real-valued numeric solver,
a single guess of 0 is actually equivalent
to the pair of guesses { 0 1 }
and single non-zero guesses are adjusted
by a very small amount to create a second starting guess.

I don't know anything more about how MSLV works,
but it did produce both real and complex answers
for the original examples, starting from [(0,0)],
although that may not have been the best place to start :)

[r->] [OFF]
From: Helen on
On Feb 12, 8:53 am, "JBGM" <Literatron...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Besides, the example you give is hardly an example for a "massive
> > symbolic computation"...
>
> But just an example of the device's mathematical capability.

The example you gave has next to nothing at all to do with symbolics.
Somewhat unexpected if what you are interested in is symbolics.

> The world is fairly rich and complex, so be less surprised when you do not
> understand causes and reasons; you might be missing the rest of the
> iceberg ;-)

I won't comment. How you want to do your work is really none of my
business.
You may disregard my idle comment on this.

> The algorithm is simple: if (estimated hours saved * personal labor
> hour cost per hour) - (cost of calculator + time invested in training
> * personal labor hour cost per hour) > 0 then go calculator. So far, I
> go calculator.

Maybe your algorithm is a bit too simple...

> BTW TI-89 seems to have superior symbolic manipulation
> capabilities FOR MY PURPOSE. Look athttp://technicalc.org/tifaq/?tivshp.htm.
> HP 50g seems fairly superior in numerics.

I am familiar with the differences. I agree that everything depends on
your specific purpose. There are cases where the TI may be the better
choice, for others the HP is better. Since you can try the caluclators
via their emulators, you can find out yourself, and answer your own
question much more reliable than any comparison on some website could.

Good luck with your work!