From: GP on
Bob Headrick wrote:
> "GP" <gilpel(a)inverse.nretla.org> wrote in message
>
>>GP wrote:
>>
>>>me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>>>In message <Oopue.9514$LY.248879(a)twister.southeast.rr.com>, Dewaine Chan
>>><dchanNOSPAM(a)NOSPAM.PLZZZnc.rr.com.invalid> writes

>>>It does sound as though it might be trying to do the wrong PCL version. When
>>>I was working out the setup on this machine I was able to generate similar
>>>messages regarding Postscript languages by using the wrong driver.
>>>
>>>No, no. Thanks for your solicitude to both of you. Rest assured it's not the
>>>wrong driver. But I see Bob Headrick is back, so we'll have the answer
>>>anytime soon.
>>
>>Err... yes... well... You must understand that Mr Headrick is not getting
>>paid at all by HP, his employer, to answer questions here. He just does this
>>on his space time, which is truly unbelievable. This is why we are all so
>>truly grateful to Mr Headrick for giving us almost a full week's worth of his
>>spare time every week.
>>
>>I mean this guy is so devoted to us that I've seen him print pictures and
>>send them postpaid from his very own pocket to the other side of the globe
>>just to show the quality of HP printers, his employer, in whose's name he's
>>never speaking here.
>>
>>My Headrick is truly unique and, of course, the counterpart of this is that
>>one must understand that he's got to be minimally patient.
>>
>>And am I ever. I even had some time to do some research on the problem I
>>face. One of the post I've read says that every server OS encounters the same
>>problem with the Laserjet 1012. Which should certainly help Mr Headrick find
>>the solution to the problem.
>>
>>My humble contribution to the great HP cause.
>

> Blush... Thanks for the kind words, it is nice to be appreciated but I am
> unfortunately rather ignorant of the Laserjet side of the business. My most
> recent experience with LaserJet's is the LJ 4 I bought a dozen years ago and
> still keep around on the off chance I will need to print a PC board transfer.

Come on, Mr Headrick! No false humility, please! You know how much you
deserve all those compliments and so much more.

> That said, you might be able to get an answer in the HP peer support forum at
> either
> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=413
> (business users) or
> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=219
> (IT Resource forum).

Hey, this certainly is an interesting ressource -- LOTS of forums! --, but...

> Dewaine Chan is the top contributor in the LaserJet forum, and I would expect
> he would be your best bet to get your issue resolved. I would expect his
> advice would lead to a solution if there is one :-).

since Dewaine has already intervened in this thread, we might as well
continue here, don't you think? I'm surprised you don't see his post,
since we both have supernews as a provider.

Dewaine has already made a suggestion about downgrading to a former PCL
driver. VERY unfortunately, the 1012 doesn't even use a PCL driver. And
the problem, recognized worldwide, it seems, is that it just won't
print... continously, without off-on recyclings, with a server OS, be it
Linux, Mac OS X and even, I read, Windows server.

So the question, I suppose, boils down to this: how come the Laserjet 1012
refuses to print properly with any server OS? Surely somebody at HP knows
why the 1012 presents such an enormous /bug/ and the way to fix it. I
really don't think Dewaine will be much help this time. This is clearly an
HP issue.

Kind regards!

GP

From: Bob Headrick on

> Dewaine has already made a suggestion about downgrading to a former PCL
> driver. VERY unfortunately, the 1012 doesn't even use a PCL driver. And the
> problem, recognized worldwide, it seems, is that it just won't print...
> continously, without off-on recyclings, with a server OS, be it Linux, Mac OS
> X and even, I read, Windows server.
>
> So the question, I suppose, boils down to this: how come the Laserjet 1012
> refuses to print properly with any server OS? Surely somebody at HP knows why
> the 1012 presents such an enormous /bug/ and the way to fix it. I really
> don't think Dewaine will be much help this time. This is clearly an HP issue.

Could you provide some more details of your issue? What OS are you using?
What model computer? How connected?

Regards,

From: Warren Block on
GP <gilpel(a)inverse.nretla.org> wrote:
> Every once in a while, my Laserjet 1012 stops printing the requested pages
> and instead prints: Unsupported Personality: PCL I have to restart the
> printer before it restarts printing.
>
> What the hell is that?

http://www.linuxprinting.org has a little more information on this.
They say they solved the "personality" problem in their driver by always
sending a string of eight bytes as part of the job. However, that was
discovered by checking the output of the Windows driver--presumably what
you already have!

It's almost a "host-based" printer. There's probably little to be done
other than pestering HP for a cure. From what I've seen on the HP
support forums, it looks like it may be a ROM bug in the printer.
Whether HP will fix this, or even is able to fix it without replacing
the printer, remains to be seen.

From: GP on
Warren Block wrote:
> GP <gilpel(a)inverse.nretla.org> wrote:
>
>>Every once in a while, my Laserjet 1012 stops printing the requested pages
>>and instead prints: Unsupported Personality: PCL I have to restart the
>>printer before it restarts printing.
>>
>>What the hell is that?
>

> http://www.linuxprinting.org has a little more information on this.
> They say they solved the "personality" problem in their driver by always
> sending a string of eight bytes as part of the job. However, that was
> discovered by checking the output of the Windows driver--presumably what
> you already have!

The problem of the "Unsupported Personality: PCL" was finally solved by
Carl Michal (michal at physics dot ubc dot ca). By analyzing the output of
the Windows driver he found out that after the BeginSession operator in
the beginning of a PCL 6 job a special sequence of 8 bytes has to be
added. He added it by a filter to the output of GhostScript's "pxlmono"
driver and from then on the printer worked.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1012

Yeah, yeah... some 8 bit sequence. Very helpful... for HP, maybe.

> It's almost a "host-based" printer. There's probably little to be done
> other than pestering HP for a cure.

They've been pestered since this printer is out, it seems.

> From what I've seen on the HP
> support forums, it looks like it may be a ROM bug in the printer.

Yes, a bug...

> Whether HP will fix this, or even is able to fix it without replacing
> the printer, remains to be seen.

I don't mind them exchanging the printer. It's not my problem.

GP

From: GP on
Bob Headrick wrote:
> "GP" <gilpel(a)inverse.nretla.org> wrote in message
>
>>Dewaine has already made a suggestion about downgrading to a former PCL
>>driver. VERY unfortunately, the 1012 doesn't even use a PCL driver. And the
>>problem, recognized worldwide, it seems, is that it just won't print...
>>continously, without off-on recyclings, with a server OS, be it Linux, Mac OS
>>X and even, I read, Windows server.
>>
>>So the question, I suppose, boils down to this: how come the Laserjet 1012
>>refuses to print properly with any server OS? Surely somebody at HP knows why
>>the 1012 presents such an enormous /bug/ and the way to fix it. I really
>>don't think Dewaine will be much help this time. This is clearly an HP issue.
>

> Could you provide some more details of your issue?

It seems it's not really ýmy issueý. Remember, Google is your friend:

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&c2coff=1&biw=1272&q=%22Unsupported+Personality%3A+PCL%22+%22laserjet+1012%22&btnG=Rechercher&lr=>
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Unsupported%20Personality%3A%20PCL%22%20%22laserjet%201012%22&hl=fr&lr=&c2coff=1&sa=N&tab=wg>

> What OS are you using?
> What model computer? How connected?

I use Linux, which is supported by HP, I believe, but it seems the
problems happens on every server OS.

My computer is a clone with a Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X board. The printer is
connected directly through the only interface, usb. Can you think of a
more standard set-up?

Regards,

GP