From: Bob Headrick on

"GP" <gilpel(a)inverse.nretla.org> wrote in message

> The problem of the "Unsupported Personality: PCL" was finally solved by Carl
> Michal (michal at physics dot ubc dot ca). By analyzing the output of the
> Windows driver he found out that after the BeginSession operator in the
> beginning of a PCL 6 job a special sequence of 8 bytes has to be added. He
> added it by a filter to the output of GhostScript's "pxlmono" driver and from
> then on the printer worked.
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1012

OK, does this fix your problem? Are you using the PPD file from the above
link?

- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

From: GP on
Bob Headrick wrote:
> "GP" <gilpel(a)inverse.nretla.org> wrote in message
>

>> The problem of the "Unsupported Personality: PCL" was finally solved by Carl
>>Michal (michal at physics dot ubc dot ca). By analyzing the output of the
>>Windows driver he found out that after the BeginSession operator in the
>>beginning of a PCL 6 job a special sequence of 8 bytes has to be added. He
>>added it by a filter to the output of GhostScript's "pxlmono" driver and from
>>then on the printer worked.
>>
>>http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1012
>

> OK, does this fix your problem? Are you using the PPD file from the above
> link?

I don't print a lot and in order to not have to install CUPS on Slackware
-- which I might very well dump soon anyway -- I usually print with
Knoppix. The problem I have is with version 3.7. With 3.8.1 and 3.8.2, I
can't print at all, maybe because the driver was changed. I used the
Foomatic +hpijs driver, which is the recommended one at linuxprinting.org,
the place of reference for printing with ANY Linux OS. The pxl1010 is not
available with Knoppix.

Now, I could try this and that for days on end, but as I said, this is not
MY problem. It's an HP problem. This Foomatic +hpijs driver is "your
employer's" driver. Why don't HP just fix it?

I hope, you'll admit, Mr Headrick, that there is a limit to what a company
may expect from it's users. Users are not there to service printers: they
buy a printer and they want to print. Otherwise, you know what might happen.

After downsizing the size of the cartridge of the Laserjet 1012 from
2500-3000 pages to 2000 pages, HP might very well have "fixed" the printer
so that it doesn't work on server OSes. Asking vain questions takes so
little time and answering them, mainly for a non-programmer, is very
time-consuming. So pretty soon, the user has a ride for his money and
gives up.

Certainly you'll understand I don't want to take this ride.You know your
equipment so much better than I, I'm sure you'll come up with an answer in
no time at all... not only for me, but for every user that has been
complaining for years and whose mere existence you seem to ignore.

Err... Not you, of course. Your employer, in whose name you're not speaking.

Best regards!

GP