From: Paul on
Ritter197 wrote:
> In Task manger under Windows 7 I see under Performance I see CPU usage
> about 1 % and Memory usage at 1.86 GB. I see no bars. Which tab???

There is a partial shot of a Task Manager window here. This picture
is from the "Performance" tab and shows one pane per core. Task Manager
usually has a setting, where you can select one pane for the whole
computer, rather than displaying each core. So first you'd check to see if
that is the case. If it is set to "View" "CPU History" "One Graph Per CPU",
then you should see four panes, as in this picture. If you only see one pane,
then the system is only using one of your four cores.

http://img.techpowerup.org/080221/quad.jpg

Paul

From: Ritter197 on
Paul, Thanks for the feedback.
When I go to TM and View I can see 1 CPU and it cannot be changed.

From: Paul on
Ritter197 wrote:
> Paul, Thanks for the feedback.
> When I go to TM and View I can see 1 CPU and it cannot be changed.

OK, now go to Device Manager, and look at the "Computer" entry.
It should say something about "Multiprocessor", not "Uniprocessor".

This is an example of the Computer entry in Device Manager.
If the value is currently "ACPI Uniprocessor", then the driver
update option can be used to change it to ACPI Multiprocessor.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/gzpfoody/z177.jpg

Before doing that, you would also review your BIOS settings.
At power up, usually there is some key press mentioned in your
manual, to enter the BIOS. On my computers here, as the computer
is starting, a message on the screen tells me which key to press
to enter the BIOS. On my current Asus motherboard, I'm to press
the "Delete" key. On my previous Asrock board, the key for the
BIOS was "F2".

Once inside the BIOS, some useful things to check under the
"Power" BIOS entry or similar:

1) Suspend Mode - S1 only, S3 only, Auto

Auto should allow S3, or you can select S3 only. In any
case, any method used to allow S3, will allow the computer
to be placed in standby with the fans off.

2) ACPI 2.0 Support

Enable this. I think the ACPI standard is even up to 3.0 now,
but 2.0 is what is showing in my BIOS right now.

3) On one of my motherboards (not the current one), the
under the Chipset subsection, there is an

MPS Revision [1.1 or 1.4]

I can't be sure, but I might have had that set to 1.4. In some cases,
that setting prevents the HAL change needed in Windows. So if the
machine refuses to go to "ACPI Multiprocessor", the reason could be
the MPS setting.

So you can visit these issues in either order. You can go into
the BIOS and have a look around. Or you can go into the Device
Manager in WinXP and try to change the "Computer" HAL value
to "ACPI Multiprocessor" with a "Driver Update" from the menu.

If the computer doesn't have an MPS Revision option at all, it
might already be set to 1.4 .

HTH,
Paul
From: Ritter197 on
I have not yet succeeded to get to BIOS. No DEL, No F2, and a number of
others.
The device Manager says under CPU : ACPIX64 based PC.
Nothing else.

From: Paul on
Ritter197 wrote:
> I have not yet succeeded to get to BIOS. No DEL, No F2, and a number of
> others.
> The device Manager says under CPU : ACPIX64 based PC.
> Nothing else.

There is a table here, with some common values for entering the BIOS.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&docname=buu08011

Computer make or model Press this key to enter the BIOS

Compaq Presario Press the F10 key at the red Compaq logo as the computer starts.
Dell Dimension Press the DELETE key as the computer starts.
Dell OptiPlex Press the F2 key or CTRL + ALT + ENTER keys as the computer starts.
Dell Latitude (except LM) Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any time.
Dell Inspiron/Latitude LM Press the F2 key as the computer starts.
Emachines Press the DELETE key as the computer starts.
Gateway Press the F1 key as the computer starts.
HP Pavilion (most models) Press the F1 key at the blue HP screen as the computer starts.
HP Vectra and Kayak Press the F2 key at the blue HP screen as the computer starts.
IBM ThinkPad Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any time.
IBM Aptiva Press the F1 key at the blue IBM screen as the computer starts.

You have a Pavilion p6140f with an Asus IPIBL-LB (HP name = benicia-GL8E) motherboard.

So my guess would be, " Press F1 ".

*******
Hmmm.

ACPI X64 based PC. You probably want to change to "ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based pc" ?
What is interesting, is I find so few hits for that HAL, on the Microsoft site.

You seem to be ACPI compliant, as otherwise you couldn't run the HAL you have currently.
I would check the BIOS settings (like, for the MPS thing), and also take a look through
this article, for anything you may have added to that computer along the way. Then, try the
"driver update" option for what currently shows as "ACPI X64 based PC".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903

Paul