From: Ritter197 on
Believe it or not. After HOURS of trying I finally got down to the basement
and dragged up another keyboard.
THAT one works for F10.
Will read again your suggestion a few threads back and let you know.
Thanks for all the help!!!!

From: Ritter197 on
I can now report after hitting F10 (BIOS)

Under POWER I have only 2 options:
After power failure Automatic
XD(Execute Disable) Enable
Nothing for Suspend modes.
Nothing there for ACPI 2.0 support or anything re ACPI

From: Paul on
Ritter197 wrote:
> I can now report after hitting F10 (BIOS)
>
> Under POWER I have only 2 options:
> After power failure Automatic
> XD(Execute Disable) Enable
> Nothing for Suspend modes.
> Nothing there for ACPI 2.0 support or anything re ACPI

Have you gone to the Device Manager, and right clicked on the
ACPI x64 thing, and tried to do a Driver Update ? What did
it report as install options ? Is one of the options
for "Multiprocessor" ?

For example, on my machine, when I drill down:

"Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."

ACPI Multiprocessor PC <--- My current HAL choice
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (APCI) PC <--- Equiv. to your HAL
MPS Multiprocessor PC <--- from an earlier era...
Standard PC <--- Don't use this...

You want to see an option like the Multiprocessor one, in
your list. And note any error messages, if it doesn't work.

HTH,
Paul
From: Ritter197 on
Here is what I find:

Device Manager:
Computer
ACPIx64 based PC

I cannot drill down further meaningfully. It says device is working
properly. It also says (when trying to update drivers) that this device does
not need drivers.

From: Paul on
Ritter197 wrote:
> Here is what I find:
>
> Device Manager:
> Computer
> ACPIx64 based PC
>
> I cannot drill down further meaningfully. It says device is working
> properly. It also says (when trying to update drivers) that this device
> does not need drivers.

I've been working on your problem (a bit).

I installed Version 7100 of Windows 7 in Virtual PC. I got to Device
Manager and looked at the Computer Entry. Now, my version of Windows 7
is only the 32 bit edition, but at least I could see the HAL was only
ACPI on mine as well. I attempted to do the "Driver Update" and
basically wasn't offered any options at all. But this could be
considered normal, because my copy of VPC2007 only seems to expose one
core of my dual core processor. So Windows 7 isn't even detecting two
cores, due to the software limitations of my virtual environment.

Along the way, one other option came to mind. Apparently, the boot manager
has an option which declares the number of cores. So, if a user wanted
to artificially limit the number of cores on their PC (say, for software
testing), there is apparently a boot option that controls that.

In Windows 7, I tried to run bcdedit (assuming that is the tool to use),
and I suspect it runs in a command window. The command window flashed, and
disappeared (just like it would in WinXP). I opened a command window, and
typed "bcdedit" in there, and it told me I needed to be the administrator.
Well, I can't be bothered figuring out how to fix that :-)

So I downloaded EasyBCD from Neosmart (version 1.7.2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyBCD

After installation, I used the "Advanced Options". Just above the
"Apply Settings" button, is a "Limit Windows to X CPUs". You might
try setting that to 4, if it isn't there already. Mine says "0"
right now, which presumably means "use as many as you can find".
If your value was set to "1", then that would explain why your
system is running on 1 core. I think it is possible WinXP might
have had a similar option, like MaxCPUs.

Since this is a WinXP group, you might want to find a Windows 7 group
for more help. I tried to find more information on Windows 7 HAL options
and how to force them, and I didn't manage to find anything to help
you. The Microsoft KB was strangely unhelpful.

Paul