From: Colin on
Hi all,

I need to install a Terminal Server 08 at a client's office to allow 6 users
to connect via RDP. I have a Dell SC440 Server, 2 x 160 GB SATA Drives, 4 GB
RAM and Intel Xeon 2.6 GHz CPU. Is this hardware sufficient to prevent users
complaining about performance ? TIA.

Regards Colin.
From: Colin on
Sorry, forgot to mention they will be using Word, Excel, Outlook and
occasionally (1 user) Access. Sage Accounts will also be used 1 or 2 days per
week.

From: RCan on
Hi Colin,

I would definitly use x64 bit for terminal services and if possible R2
edition as there are several improvements in TS sector. If the hardware will
be enough is also dependent from the TS applications which will run on the
TS server. I/O and RAM is here the main crtitical areas.

For sizing you can use the newly released terminal services load load test
tool to check your hardware capabilities ->
Remote Desktop Load Simulation Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3f5f040-ab7b-4ec6-9ed3-1698105510ad&displaylang=en

Also check out the following docs around an correct sizing for your TS
workload :
Terminal Server Capacity Planning
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786809(WS.10).aspx

Remote Desktop Protocol Performance Improvements in Windows Server 2008 R2
and Windows 7
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E4D25D08-AE40-4C5C-AC81-EAACDC9923D3&displaylang=en

Regards
Ramazan

From: Colin on
Hi Ramazan,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if Sage Accounts is 64 bit compatible
and it's so important to the company that I am not going to take the risk, 32
bit will be good enough in this case! Thanks for the links - I'll go over
these this weekend. Many thanks for your help.

Regards Colin.

From: Venger on
On 5/14/2010 2:51 AM, Colin wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to mention they will be using Word, Excel, Outlook and
> occasionally (1 user) Access. Sage Accounts will also be used 1 or 2 days per
> week.
>
> "Colin" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need to install a Terminal Server 08 at a client's office to allow 6 users
>> to connect via RDP. I have a Dell SC440 Server, 2 x 160 GB SATA Drives, 4 GB
>> RAM and Intel Xeon 2.6 GHz CPU. Is this hardware sufficient to prevent users
>> complaining about performance ? TIA.

Should be fine. Note, you haven't mentioned your bandwidth, which is
likely to be a more limiting factor than the hardware specs you listed.

Also, verify your Sage software will run in Terminal Server properly.
I've had various Sage products in the past run very iffy (while others
ran great).

Venger