From: Peter Olcott on
On 6/13/2010 7:20 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
> The command is RMGROUP and hosting servers either honor it or not, but
> most are automated and who wants to KEEP something that isn't part of
> they feeds anyway. So it will individual sites that will ignore it and
> they will have to create their own network - UseNet is more about the
> control and sharing of a LIST FILE and a DIFF system. So once a site has
> the official LIST FILE for usenet, from that point on they do ADD and
> REMOVES. If the microsoft heirarchy is removed from the "OFFICIAL" LIST
> FILE, well, you have to create and maintain your LIST and get a network
> of server who is willing to support a different LIST FILE.
>
> The sad about all this is that its made out to be a black and white
> issue. You seem to believe the web version will suffer if the newsgroups
> continue.
>
> No. The only thing it benefits is lowering cost of operations, support,
> thats it. One less thing for MS to worry about.
>
> But from a customer support, there is never just 1 group of people, but
> a diversity and this is especially true for a old established companies
> that has many customers from all different angles. That is what makes it
> all odd - something has happen that allowed MS to make a decision to go
> one way only when in reality they did not have to
>
> 1) They could of forcing authentication with the newsgroups using
> user live id accounts, just like the web requires.
>
> 2) They could of easily single source the backend mail system to
> archive a single mail system - not two.
>
> It is was an odd decision - almost simple minded, yet easy and MS sees
> reduced cost probably.
>
> I also think that they realize there might be disruption and
> inconvenience but at the end of day people will have no choice but to
> use the web or the new bridges. The latter is something I'm afraid they
> might disallow in the future IFF they believe it will hurt the web side
> - it shouldn't but who knows.
>
> --
> HLS

That is why I am taking this decision as Microsoft's official request
for developers to stop supporting the Windows platform and begin to
support for cross platform development that will eventually result in
the demise of Windows.

From: Tom Serface on
That's never going to happen. Microsoft is about Windows. Everything else
is just "support".

Tom

From: Peter Olcott on
On 6/13/2010 11:24 PM, Tom Serface wrote:
> That's never going to happen. Microsoft is about Windows. Everything
> else is just "support".
>
> Tom
>
> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> On 6/13/2010 7:20 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
>>
>> That is why I am taking this decision as Microsoft's official request
>> for developers to stop supporting the Windows platform and begin to
>> support for cross platform development that will eventually result in
>> the demise of Windows.

What I am saying is that this has already implicitly happened. The
decision to drop the newsgroups is how this is manifested.