From: Peter Venkman on
Unfortunately on each object I looked at HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled
was set to True.

From: Peter Venkman on

From: Karl Mitschke on
Hello Peter,

> Unfortunately on each object I looked at HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled
> was set to True.
>
> On May 11, 12:55 pm, Karl Mitschke <karlmitsc...(a)somestate.gov> wrote:
>
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>>> Hi Karl,
>>>
>>> Yes, they appear in OWA, which is why I don't think it's an OAB
>>> generation/download issue.

>> What is the result for this command? (Run in Exchange Management
>> Shell)
>>
>> Get-Mailbox <alias> |Select-Object Name,
>> HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled
>>
>> If HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled is False, try:
>>
>> Set-Mailbox <alias> HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled:$true
>>
>> Give it some time, and see if the mailbox still shows in the GAL.
>>
>> Karlhttp://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com/

This is a long shot, but try a

Get-Mailbox <alias> |Select-Object Name, RecipientType*

Does it return "LegacyMailbox"?

From: Peter Venkman on
Hi Karl,

Thanks for sticking with this. They all return UserMailbox running
this command and appear as such in the EMC. I know... I always find
the weird one.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 12:33:32 -0700 (PDT), Peter Venkman
<pauldi(a)iona.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We just migrated from Exchange 2003 to 2007 and have started noticing
>this issue. When we chose the option in a user's mailbox to "Hide
>from Exchange Address Lists", it will still show up in the GAL. It
>doesn't matter whether this is done through the new Exchange
>Management Console or through AD Users and Computers. It appears
>selected in both instances. It isn't just the OAB causing a problem
>either because checking through webmail shows the mailboxes still in
>the online GAL. Any ideas?

Use LDP (or ADSIEDIT) to examine the properties of the AD user.

These two properties are of interest:
msExchHideFromAddressLists
showInAddressBook

If msExchHideFromAddressLists is TRUE then showInAddressBook should
either be an empty property or not appear at all as a property of that
user.

If msExchHideFromAddressLists is TRUE and showInAddressBook is
populated with DNs then there's a problem.

Try UN-hiding a user and then tell powershell to have the cmdlet
explain what it's doing. Maybe there's something in the verbose stream
that will shed some light on your problem:

$verbosepreference='continue'
set-mailbox foo -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled:$true
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP