From: Howard Brazee on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 01:02:52 -0700 (PDT), Richard
<riplin(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:

>There are many ways to judge languages. You have been indoctrinated
>with the need for 'efficiency' of the executable. I Have clients where
>a commodity single core PC under Linux runs all their users (50-60)
>with response times that are unnoticeable and the constraint on
>performance is _NOT_ the CPU. Having a compiler that produced 'better'
>code would make zero difference.

I like the differences between a Codd database design and an Inmon
data warehouse design. Nice theories but very different, as they are
designed with different criteria for efficiency.

- James Madison
From: Pete Dashwood on
Fred Mobach wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:

>>> Let me know if you come to Munich :-))
>>>
>>> Jessica
>>
>> Thank you, Jessica. :-)
>>
>> I lived in Dueselldorf for around 4 years and, of course, visited
>> Muenchen and Bayern. I still have a few friends in Germany but it is
>> unlikely I'll spend time working there again.
>>
>> These days I am enjoying being home and the Pacific lifestyle.
>
> I missed the obvious remark about the Bavarian beers, which might have
> influenced your choices. ;-)

A very good point, Fred.

Living in Germany certainly spoiled beer drinking for me. The fine beers
produced according to the Rheinheitsgebot are SO far ahead of the fizzy
chemical concoctions that pass for beer in the rest of the world, that I
find it very hard to drink beer when outside Germany. Here in NZ they are
starting to produce pure beers that have no enzymes, fillers, rice, or
chemical accelerants in them, and one or two of these are not bad, but my
palate still remembers and hankers for "ein grosses Koenigs oder Bitburger
Pils..." I loved watching it being drawn and seeing the white foam slowly
replaced by the pale golden nectar that is good Pils.... ah, happy times!

Fortunately, NZ is producing very good wine at very reasonable prices so my
attention has shifted more in that direction.

Pete.

From: starwars on
> Base "good and bad" upon objectives and measurable criteria. Otherwise
> you are talking religion.

I gave you criteria and a lot of other useful information. I don't recall
any thank yous but I do see a lot of arguments you're making for other
people, I guess you see they can't defend themselves.

> And the objectives shouldn't be based upon "clean code", but upon "are
> the needs of the customer met".

That's an interesting and short-sighted comment. If you say part of the
customer's needs are software that's easily and promptly serviced then
clean code does have a direct and measurable influence on whether those
needs are met.

I see you guys are basically middle-of-the-road dopes who really don't care
about quality or performance or understanding how anything really works as
long as it eventually works (sort of). Those are fine goals for applicance
users (or car drivers, etc.) but for people who do this as a living which I
thought we all were, those are some pretty sorry values.

From: Louis Krupp on
On 7/26/2010 6:43 PM, starwars wrote:
<snip>
> I see you guys are basically middle-of-the-road dopes who really don't care
> about quality or performance or understanding how anything really works as
> long as it eventually works (sort of). Those are fine goals for applicance
> users (or car drivers, etc.) but for people who do this as a living which I
> thought we all were, those are some pretty sorry values.

Then don't hire us. Ever. To do anything.

Take Perl programming, for example. I said I'd done some, but don't
believe me. I'm useless. As far as I'm concerned, whatever it is,
there isn't even a single way to do it.

And COBOL. If I mention that I taught COBOL once -- to a Women in
Computer Science program at a university in 1983 -- don't be fooled.
Most of my students, when interviewed a year or two later at their
various homeless shelters, their starving and neglected children staring
wanly at the camera, singled out my class as the experience that ruined
their lives.

And then there's Unisys. I worked for what was then Unisys CAD/CAM from
1987 to 1992. Know what's happened to Unisys lately? Reverse stock
split, that's what, and it's all my fault. Sure, they try to bury it in
the annual report, since they're tired of having to explain how I set
the industry back six years while only working there for five, but it's
there if you look. They used to promise they'd recover from whatever it
was I did in ten years, or fifteen, and now they're shooting for twenty.

So don't hire me. Or any of us. Pete sounds like an intelligent guy,
but what is he hiding from down there in New Zealand? What is Howard
really going to do when he retires? And the one who calls himself Doc
.... there's a story there, I'm sure of it.

"Middle of the road dopes" doesn't begin to describe what you're facing
here. If you only knew...

Louis

From: Richard on
On Jul 27, 12:43 pm, starwars <nonscrivet...(a)tatooine.homelinux.net>
wrote:
> > Base "good and bad" upon objectives and measurable criteria. Otherwise
> > you are talking religion.
>
> I gave you criteria and a lot of other useful information.

You are confused.

You appear to imagine that simplistic anecdotes and unsupported
opinions are "criteria and a lot of other useful information".

In the only other 'starwars' posting in this thread you said you hated
Java and met someone who liked it. How does this constitute "criteria"
or even "useful" ?

Maybe you have posted other stuff somewhere else. Even if you have
also posted as 'Non scrivetemi' those messages are also just opinions
with no substance.

> I don't recall
> any thank yous but I do see a lot of arguments you're making for other
> people, I guess you see they can't defend themselves.

You are confused.

Replies are to the messages. This is a forum not a private conversion
between specific individuals.

> > And the objectives shouldn't be based upon "clean code", but upon "are
> > the needs of the customer met".
>
> That's an interesting and short-sighted comment. If you say part of the
> customer's needs are software that's easily and promptly serviced then
> clean code does have a direct and measurable influence on whether those
> needs are met.

What is 'clean code' is entirely what you are used to.

> I see you guys are basically middle-of-the-road dopes

ad hominem.

> who really don't care
> about quality or performance or understanding how anything really works as
> long as it eventually works (sort of). Those are fine goals for applicance
> users (or car drivers, etc.) but for people who do this as a living which I
> thought we all were, those are some pretty sorry values.

Straw man.