From: houghi on
Guy Wilson wrote:
> Guy(a)linux-emachines:~> su -
> Password:
> linux-emachines:~ # whoami
> root
> linux-emachines:~ # cd /
> linux-emachines:/ # ls -dAlF
> drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 600 Sep 10 10:51 ./
> linux-emachines:/ # cd /media
> linux-emachines:/media # ls -AlF
> /bin/ls: .: No medium found
> linux-emachines:/media #

OK. My guestimate is that you somehow screwed up things in a serious
way. The fact that you get "No medium found" when you are in /media is
certainly not standard. /media should be a directory for other
directories. Now it looks like you try to access e.g. /media/floppy
without a floppy in it.

What I would do is make all subdirectories like /dvdredoder, cdrecorder,
floppy, ...

What do you have as l;ines that point to /media.... in /etc/fstab?

--
houghi Please do not toppost http://houghi.org
You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
From: Guy Wilson on
houghi wrote:

> Guy Wilson wrote:
>> Guy(a)linux-emachines:~> su -
>> Password:
>> linux-emachines:~ # whoami
>> root
>> linux-emachines:~ # cd /
>> linux-emachines:/ # ls -dAlF
>> drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 600 Sep 10 10:51 ./
>> linux-emachines:/ # cd /media
>> linux-emachines:/media # ls -AlF
>> /bin/ls: .: No medium found
>> linux-emachines:/media #
>
> OK. My guestimate is that you somehow screwed up things in a serious
> way. The fact that you get "No medium found" when you are in /media is
> certainly not standard. /media should be a directory for other
> directories. Now it looks like you try to access e.g. /media/floppy
> without a floppy in it.
>
> What I would do is make all subdirectories like /dvdredoder, cdrecorder,
> floppy, ...
>
> What do you have as l;ines that point to /media.... in /etc/fstab?

I would agree with the screwed up! I began to realize this when I could not
access the media directory. How this happened - I don't know but thats
beside the point right now.

Contents of fstab that reference media:

/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/ /media/ subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/cdrecorder2 /media/cdrecorder2 subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

I have a CDRW drive and a USB DVD burner and a USB floppy as well as a USB
hard drive. Looks like I would have difficulty mounting any of these?
So - I should create separate mount points for these?

Guy

From: houghi on
Guy Wilson wrote:
> I would agree with the screwed up! I began to realize this when I could not
> access the media directory. How this happened - I don't know but thats
> beside the point right now.

Hey, that is the fun with Linux. No matter how much you scre up, you can
still repair it. I did a chown -R / the other day. I want to typ * but
typed / and wonderd why it took so long. LOL

> Contents of fstab that reference media:
>

> /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs
> fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
> /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs
> fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
> /dev/ /media/ subfs
> fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
> /dev/cdrecorder2 /media/cdrecorder2 subfs
> fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
>
> I have a CDRW drive and a USB DVD burner and a USB floppy as well as a USB
> hard drive. Looks like I would have difficulty mounting any of these?
> So - I should create separate mount points for these?

Comment the line that says `/dev/ /media/ ...` By that I
mean just put a # in front of it.

That should do the trick. See that `/media` is not mounted (just do df
and see if you see it there).

You should at least be able to get into /media now. There you should see
/media/cdrecorder, /media/cdrom and /media/cdrecorder2

When all that is OK, you should be able to plug in the USB and see it
pop up there as well.

From: Guy Wilson on
houghi wrote:

> Guy Wilson wrote:
>> I would agree with the screwed up! I began to realize this when I could
>> not
>> access the media directory. How this happened - I don't know but thats
>> beside the point right now.
>
> Hey, that is the fun with Linux. No matter how much you scre up, you can
> still repair it. I did a chown -R / the other day. I want to typ * but
> typed / and wonderd why it took so long. LOL
>
>> Contents of fstab that reference media:
>>

>> /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs
>> fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
>> /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs
>> fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
>> /dev/ /media/ subfs
>> fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
>> /dev/cdrecorder2 /media/cdrecorder2 subfs
>> fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
>>
>> I have a CDRW drive and a USB DVD burner and a USB floppy as well as a
>> USB
>> hard drive. Looks like I would have difficulty mounting any of these?
>> So - I should create separate mount points for these?
>
> Comment the line that says `/dev/ /media/ ...` By that I
> mean just put a # in front of it.
>
> That should do the trick. See that `/media` is not mounted (just do df
> and see if you see it there).
>
> You should at least be able to get into /media now. There you should see
> /media/cdrecorder, /media/cdrom and /media/cdrecorder2
>
> When all that is OK, you should be able to plug in the USB and see it
> pop up there as well.

Bingo, that worked, thanks!
Now the question - did the /dev media line just appear in there?
I have a second SuSE installation on a Dell 2350 and do not remember it
being there.

Guy
From: houghi on
Guy Wilson wrote:
> Bingo, that worked, thanks!
> Now the question - did the /dev media line just appear in there?

No, you probably did some fooling around with mountpoints in Yast.
Just guessing here.

--
houghi Please do not toppost http://houghi.org
You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of
imagination. Next stop, Usenet
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: ATI Xpress 200