From: The Learner on
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:54:02 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/17/2010 6:14 PM, The Learner wrote:
>
>> My theory is that, because there are two email clients and both of their
>> executables are [named] Eudora.exe, Vista lists Eudora as one of its default
>> programs and Eudora 8 beta is the one most recently installed.
>
>Each program resides in its own independent directory;
>this should not confuse Windows in any way.
>
>Many people have, for example, seen several files
>having the "same name," even in the same directory,
>with their individuality still remaining,
>e.g. Eudora.ini and Eudora.exe and Eudora.dll
>each one separately listed as simply "Eudora"
>because of Windows' option to
>"Hide extensions for known file types"
>
>> I think the OS can't recognize two or more programs
>> with the same executable [name?]
>
>There happen to be two unrelated people named "John Meyers" living on my street;
>I wonder which one of us can't be recognized? ;-)
>
>> BTW, how does the OS know which programs are email clients?
>
>They are supposed to "register" themselves as email clients.

OK, that teaches me some things. Now, since Eudora 7.1 was working as a
registered email client before I installed version 8 beta, what would
cause Eudora 7.1 to NOT be recognized as an email client? In the Control
Panel, I click on Default Programs ans there is a Eudora there for email
(Just listed as Eudora) and a Eudora listed for News (listed as Eudora
(News)). Version 7.1 used to be listed there (I know because, before I
installed version 8, Eudora was there). Don't know what happened but I'd
like to get an icon back in Default Programs which is associated with E7.
Do you know of a way to do this? The only way I can think of is to
reinstall Eudora 7 - and I expect to have to re-set it up with my own and
my wife's settings. I need some way so that, when the Email tab at the
top of a folder is clicked, it automatically opens up Eudora 7.1 with mu
wife's 'data.'
From: The Learner on
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:46:07 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/18/2010 9:16 AM, The Learner wrote:
>
>> Eudora 7.1 was working as a registered email client before I installed version 8 beta,
>> what would cause Eudora 7.1 to NOT be recognized as an email client?
>
>I don't know.
>
>> In the Control Panel, I click on Default Programs and there is a Eudora there for email
>> (Just listed as Eudora) and a Eudora listed for News (listed as Eudora (News)).
>
>I have "Eudora" shown only in my "Internet Options" and not in "Default Programs";
>however, this is in XP.
>
>Unfortunately, given Windows' way of saying as little as possible,
>it would be difficult to know which "Eudora" was referred to
>by that name (except that only E8 has a "news" client).
>
>When it comes to selecting clients by name from such a list,
>it is indeed problematic if two of them have the same name.
>
>I would expect two programs to have two entries in the list,
>but perhaps Windows is too stupid, after all -- I haven't pursued
>where all these registry entries are stored (must be different
>for "Internet Options" vs. "Default Programs,"
>since I have different lists in each place).
>
>There are Windows forums where one might ask such deeper questions
>e.g. microsoft.public.windows*
>
>It would be kind of you to let us know any answers from the Windows people.

Of course I will. I'd like to help other as much as you folks have
helped me.

From: The Learner on
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 19:47:30 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/18/2010 4:04 PM:
>
>> Why not just uninstall E8, see what is left, and then reinstall E8 and
>> watch where it installs. After all it is free.
>
>Why do that?
>
>> You could do the same with E7 and reinstall using a specially named data
>> folder. Then move your old E7 data into the folder and when you click on
>> that data folder E7 will run.
>
>Clicking a folder will not run Eudora.
>
>Wasn't the original objective to tell Windows what program to use
>to mail things which one asks Windows to mail,
>only when one doesn't directly use the desired program?

Yes

>I always directly use my desired program anyway,
>so I don't care what Windows would do on its own.

I do too (but my wife likes the convenience of clicking Email at the top
of the folder). As I've said, she is not very computer literate - so I'm
trying to help her as much as I can.

>Most web browsers also have their own "default programs" settings,
>which can override passing that decision up the chain to Windows.
>
>Any mail program which can have multiple "profiles" for a single user
>(including Eudora, Thunderbird, and the "Eudora 8" version of Thunderbird)
>will tend to always make the same choice whenever invoked by Windows
>for that same user, so it's up to you to arrange which profile
>the program will find when it gets started with no "hint."

It was working that way (whenever my clicked on Email at the top of the
folder, 'her' Eudora started with her data and settings. I have no idea
how Windows knew to do that.

>If each user has his/her own login, and chose "user application data folder"
>for user mail and settings, then this gets sorted out automatically,
>according to whoever happens to be logged in.

We use the same login because I've set up the organization, etc. It has
been a lot of work to get everything the way I like - so I don't want to
have to do it all over again. Not until I get my 'super' laptop for
myself.

BTW, what suppliers are out there that sell top of the line laptops? I
know this is not a question for this newsgroup but, John, since you know
so much, I thought perhaps you could answer this question. In the
meantime, I'll Google it.
From: Stan Bischof on
If you are just looking to change default mailer, why not just
wander by HKCR\mailto\shell\open\command and set whatever you want?

Stan
From: The Learner on
On 19 Feb 2010 16:34:46 GMT, Stan Bischof
<stan(a)newserve.worldbadminton.com> wrote:

>HKCR\mailto\shell\open\command

I am not a Registry expert - but thanks. Now, when I get to that point
in Open, I'm looking at Name ((Default), Type Reg_SZ and Data (value not
set). I assume that, for Data, I put in the path I want - no problem. Do
I change anything for Name and Type? Also, exactly what does this do and
what does it affect? This is important to me. Thanks for the reply.