From: John H Meyers on
OP seems to want to set default email program in Windows.

Windows has something like "Set Program Access and Defaults"

Choose "Custom" and "Use my current email program," then close it.

In Eudora "Extra Warnings," check-mark
[x] Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer

Also enter _zero_ minutes under "Checking Mail,"
to prevent checking mail during the one-time next step,
then close Eudora. Next step:

Run Eudora once as "administrator" account,
say that you do want to make it the default mailer,
then close Eudora.

Does this work (i.e. when you try to mail something,
does the message start getting composed in Eudora?)

From: John H Meyers on
Previous observations:

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=33355

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=39710

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=43837

Oh well, at least this time it's not the same old boring thing :)

Sorry!

From: John H Meyers on
On 2/16/2010 5:42 PM:

> Since I'm not currently using Eudora 8 beta, what do you think
> would happen if I uninstalled it?
>
> One more thing, if I install Eudora 7.1 over the current installation,
> I think it will override Eudora 8 beta as the default email client.

I don't see how uninstalling E8 would normally accomplish anything for you.

"Eudora 8" is a version of Thunderbird.

Between all three programs (Thunderbird, E8, and E7),
there is nothing in common between their default program directories;
the only normal overlap between any two of these
is that Thunderbird and E8 normally share the same user data
"profile" folder (mail, settings, addresses, etc.), which is
incompatible with and never in the same place as E7 user data.

As to what Windows thinks is the default email program,
you should be able to make your own choice at any time.

If you make E7 the Windows default, and if there is just one set
of program files for E7, and if E7 is already running for just one person
at the time that Windows wants to open E7, then probably the
already open instance of E7 will start to compose the new message;
otherwise _some_ instance of E7 will open, depending on exactly
how you have configured things, and the answer to whose mail will open
is answered by whichever one actually does open :)

I don't think that the E7 installer offers to make E7 the default email program,
but if it "registers" Eudora as an email provider and makes "Default programs"
see it as such, that could be useful (I don't know whether it does or not).

Every time you run the E7 installer, it asks you again
where to store the programs, and where mail will be stored;
if you don't always give the same answers, however,
then this might confuse things.

Your answer to the question about where mail will be stored
translates into a single line that you will find in file "Deudora.ini"
(note the initial "D") residing with Eudora's program files;
this allows one to go back and change the effective answer
by editing that file later, although it is just as easy
just run the installer again anyway, and just change the answer.

When E7 is launched and is not already running,
it looks for its "data" folder via logic detailed in Eudora's
"Readme.txt" file that's installed with the programs.

Despite all of the above, what is the purpose, anyway,
of trying to make Windows select a "default email program"?

Is there any situation in which you can not simply first open
the program you want to use, and then use it to send whatever you want?

Sometimes it hardly pays to worry or work hard
over something which hardly does any work at all for you, IMO.

From: John H Meyers on
On 2/17/2010 6:14 PM, The Learner wrote:

> My theory is that, because there are two email clients and both of their
> executables are [named] Eudora.exe, Vista lists Eudora as one of its default
> programs and Eudora 8 beta is the one most recently installed.

Each program resides in its own independent directory;
this should not confuse Windows in any way.

Many people have, for example, seen several files
having the "same name," even in the same directory,
with their individuality still remaining,
e.g. Eudora.ini and Eudora.exe and Eudora.dll
each one separately listed as simply "Eudora"
because of Windows' option to
"Hide extensions for known file types"

> I think the OS can't recognize two or more programs
> with the same executable [name?]

There happen to be two unrelated people named "John Meyers" living on my street;
I wonder which one of us can't be recognized? ;-)

> BTW, how does the OS know which programs are email clients?

They are supposed to "register" themselves as email clients.

From: John H Meyers on
On 2/18/2010 9:16 AM, The Learner wrote:

> Eudora 7.1 was working as a registered email client before I installed version 8 beta,
> what would cause Eudora 7.1 to NOT be recognized as an email client?

I don't know.

> In the Control Panel, I click on Default Programs and there is a Eudora there for email
> (Just listed as Eudora) and a Eudora listed for News (listed as Eudora (News)).

I have "Eudora" shown only in my "Internet Options" and not in "Default Programs";
however, this is in XP.

Unfortunately, given Windows' way of saying as little as possible,
it would be difficult to know which "Eudora" was referred to
by that name (except that only E8 has a "news" client).

When it comes to selecting clients by name from such a list,
it is indeed problematic if two of them have the same name.

I would expect two programs to have two entries in the list,
but perhaps Windows is too stupid, after all -- I haven't pursued
where all these registry entries are stored (must be different
for "Internet Options" vs. "Default Programs,"
since I have different lists in each place).

There are Windows forums where one might ask such deeper questions
e.g. microsoft.public.windows*

It would be kind of you to let us know any answers from the Windows people.

> Version 7.1 used to be listed there (I know because, before I
> installed version 8, Eudora was there). Don't know what happened
> but I'd like to get an icon back in Default Programs which is associated with E7.
> Do you know of a way to do this? The only way I can think of is to
> reinstall Eudora 7 - and I expect to have to re-set it up
> with my own and my wife's settings.

Re-installing "classic" writes program files,
does not write any settings, does not remove any mail or settings.

I just did it myself, to see what effect, if any, it might have
on my "Default programs" in XP (to which the answer was none).