From: Zaidy036 on
On 2/18/2010 1:46 PM, John H Meyers wrote:
> On 2/18/2010 9:16 AM, The Learner wrote:
>
>> Eudora 7.1 was working as a registered email client before I installed
>> version 8 beta,
>> what would cause Eudora 7.1 to NOT be recognized as an email client?
>
> I don't know.
>
>> In the Control Panel, I click on Default Programs and there is a
>> Eudora there for email
>> (Just listed as Eudora) and a Eudora listed for News (listed as Eudora
>> (News)).
>
> I have "Eudora" shown only in my "Internet Options" and not in "Default
> Programs";
> however, this is in XP.
>
> Unfortunately, given Windows' way of saying as little as possible,
> it would be difficult to know which "Eudora" was referred to
> by that name (except that only E8 has a "news" client).
>
> When it comes to selecting clients by name from such a list,
> it is indeed problematic if two of them have the same name.
>
> I would expect two programs to have two entries in the list,
> but perhaps Windows is too stupid, after all -- I haven't pursued
> where all these registry entries are stored (must be different
> for "Internet Options" vs. "Default Programs,"
> since I have different lists in each place).
>
> There are Windows forums where one might ask such deeper questions
> e.g. microsoft.public.windows*
>
> It would be kind of you to let us know any answers from the Windows people.
>
>> Version 7.1 used to be listed there (I know because, before I
>> installed version 8, Eudora was there). Don't know what happened
>> but I'd like to get an icon back in Default Programs which is
>> associated with E7.
>> Do you know of a way to do this? The only way I can think of is to
>> reinstall Eudora 7 - and I expect to have to re-set it up
>> with my own and my wife's settings.
>
> Re-installing "classic" writes program files,
> does not write any settings, does not remove any mail or settings.
>
> I just did it myself, to see what effect, if any, it might have
> on my "Default programs" in XP (to which the answer was none).

Why not just uninstall E8, see what is left, and then reinstall E8 and
watch where it installs. After all it is free.

You could do the same with E7 and reinstall using a specially named data
folder. Then move your old E7 data into the folder and when you click on
that data folder E7 will run.
From: John H Meyers on
On 2/20/2010 11:17 AM, The Learner wrote:

> I believe the best solution is to just re-install Eudora 7.1 over
> my current installation. This action should register Eudora 7.1 as a
> potential email client (my default client). I just need to know if this
> will over write my settings and which ones.

Eudora settings are stored with the mail, in a file (Eudora.ini)

The classic Eudora installer never writes any settings,
in fact it never writes any "user" files (nor removes any).

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1844hq.html

> I now have one installation of Eudora 7.1 - but points to two different settings.

You may have created two shortcuts for launching Eudora,
each shortcut specifying a different mail "Data" folder
(one yours, one hers).

I have four shortcuts, each for using a different mail "Data" folder,
and each mail "Data" folder contains its own completely independent
and unrelated mail and settings (and addresses, filters, etc.)

Installing (or even uninstalling) Eudora on my computer
will never affect anything in my four "Data" folders.

The installer doesn't bother with anything but the "Program" files,
but also [over]writes one more "Program" file named "Deudora.ini"
(note the leading "D") -- that file remembers your answer
to the installer's question about where you think your default mail "Data"
will be -- but when you use program launching shortcuts that explicitly
point to a mail "Data" folder, these override any install-time answer anyway.

Settings that you make when _running_ Eudora are saved in file
"Eudora.ini" in your current mail "Data" folder,
never in the Program Files' "Deudora.ini,"
which only provides information for starting Eudora
(it also provides defaults for attachment file type "Mappings,"
and can contain defaults for other things never explicitly defined in Eudora.ini)

From: John H Meyers on
On 2/20/2010 2:29 PM, The Learner wrote:

> [re-installing 7.1] didn't work.
> Eudora 8 beta is still my default email client.

Did you see a previous link to Microsoft documentation,
explaining computer-level vs. user-level default programs?

That's the best and most complete source I've ever seen on this topic.

If E8 set a user-level default for your login,
that could conceivably override the computer-level default
which Eudora sets (and which someone else keeps telling you to make,
but which Eudora can even make for itself).

When there is no user-level default, Eudora's built-in function
reportedly suffices to set a computer-level default,
but I'm guessing it might be ineffective if there's a user-level default set.

Microsoft's documentation could lead you to all the Registry paths
which are involved in default programs, but since I don't have
a Windows 7 system at hand to play with,
I can't experiment with it myself
(so let Ajo do it :)

If you could manage to train your partner
to perform the very simple act
of copying the email address from a "mailto" link,
then pasting it into a new message,
or to perform attaching files to a message
by simply dragging them to the open message window,
all this concern about default programs might become moot.

You can even let *any* program be launched in response
to anything which causes Windows to select a program,
then copy the "To:" address from that program,
then cancel the message and close the other program.

Or go ahead and send the message from the other program,
but add a "Bcc:" to yourself (or herself).

Or keep trying -- to promote a film called "Rififi," circa 1955,
which revolved around an elaborate burglary and safe-cracking,
a safe was installed at a prominent New York City location,
and anyone who cared to wait in line had a chance to try to open it,
for a substantial reward to be found therein.

Someone finally did, and if you keep just trying things,
perhaps you'll hit on some combination which delivers your prize, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rififi
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048021/

From: John H Meyers on
On 2/20/2010 5:27 PM, The Learner wrote:

>> Did you see a previous link to Microsoft documentation,
>> explaining computer-level vs. user-level default programs?

> I must have missed it.

> Ajo? Who or what is that?

Perhaps your news server isn't capturing all postings for this newsgroup,
since I posted a Microsoft link earlier, and Ajo is someone who also posted earlier.

> No way - [spouse is] very against doing something different.

This assures that you will stay together,
but don't ever move, or the next drive to the new supermarket
may take a wrong turn and crash ;-)

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rififi
>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048021/

> I'll try to get to these links after dinner - or tomorrow.

Maybe you can get the re-released DVD, and watch the movie :)

> I uninstalled E8 beta and I'm back to where I was. Everything fine now.

This seems to indicate that E8 might have an unintentional bug,
wiping out "classic" Eudora's registration,
although it's not yet clear to me whether this is really the case.

> The only thing is - I don't understand why, when Email is selected
> in a photo folder, it defaults to my wife's version and not mine?

When a chick is hatched, it looks around and says "where's my mother?"

When Eudora is launched, it looks around and says "where's my mail folder?"

The logic Eudora follows is explained in its "readme.txt" file
(at "Finding the data folder"), and it's a long story,
although the story ends right at step 1
for program launching shortcuts specifying a data folder path,
or when dragging and dropping a folder onto Eudora.exe

You are lucky that it picks your wife, or else, given the above
inflexibility, you might have had to move out :)

From: John H Meyers on
On 2/21/2010 9:21 AM, Bob wrote:

> I placed my wife's folder where Eudora WANTS to place it
> C:\Users\Carol\AppData\Roamimg\Qualcomm\Eudora

> MY data folder is in C:\Data\Bob's Eudora Data.

Yes, that's evidently why Eudora opens Carol's folder,
because your "Deudora.ini" must indicate "UseAppData=1"
(instead of "DataFolder=somewhere_else")
and when user "Carol" logs in, that's where her data resides
(looks like yours has been bumped to the barn :)

I don't know anyone at Qualcomm
(our only common acquaintance is Eudora herself :)
but someone who can get the direct evidence of exactly
what E8 does to the registry to "eclipse" E7
should point that out on E8's "Bugzilla,"
before they decide that E8 is also "finalized."