From: rmo555 on
The following is what I posted in more than one post in a Vista group -
because I believe this is a Vista problem. I didn't get any usable
results , so I'm posting it here too. There's always hope!!!

I have two versions of Eudora on my PC but only one (Eudora 8 beta) is
recognized in file folders that contain *.jpg files (as of today).
Before today, I would highlight a JPG and click on Email at the top of
the open folder. Eudora 7.1 would come up and all I had to do was put
in an email address. I should say that I use Eudora 7.1 with two sets
of data - one for me and one for my wife. However, my wife's version
would come up which is what I want. As of today, Eudora 8 beta comes
up when I click on Email. I have no idea how the association changed.
I also don't know why my wife's version of Eudora 7.1 used to come up
instead of mine. There must be a way to reset the association. I
tried resetting the association in Internet Explorer - but only Eudora
8 beta is available as a choice. That's another problem. Why isn't
Eudora 7.1 a choice in file associations in Internet Explorer 8? I'm
sure there is a simple solution for both problems.

I hope I explained it correctly - but I think this is definitely a
Vista issue. My Eudora client is running just fine. It's a matter of
Vista knowing which email client to associate to a folder that contains
photos and videos. At the top of the folder are choices like:
Organize, Views, Open, Slide Show, Print, E-mail, Share and Burn. There
has to be a way to associate apps and Open, Slide Show (probably
defaults to Microsoft), E-mail ans Share. I'm sure there are plenty of
people who use more than one email client. So, if they click on
E-mail, how does Vista know which client to use?

Now, yesterday I tried to figure out a way to add my old version of
Eudora to "Set your default programs" and "Associate a file type or
protocol with a program." There is no option that allows the OP to put
in a path to a specific program. I think that is short sightedness of
Microsoft. I found that, when you install a program, certain
information is placed in the Registry and that's where the above two
protocols I mentioned get their information. For some reson, this used
to work so Eudora 7.1 musy have been in the list of email programs to
choose from. Now, they're not there. Now, I did install Eudora 8 beta
several weeks ago and it's a possibility that that action removed
Eudora 7.1 from the list of available email programs and replaced it
with the new Eudora 8 beta. I hate to do it if there's another way,
but I'm thinking I could unnstall Eudora 8 beta and reinstall Eudora
7.1 to get that information in the Registry. I think that would work.
The only problem is - I WANT to use both versions of Eudora on this PC
and I don't want to have to set my settings all over again. The
old version is for my wife who is comfortable with version 7.1 and not
very computer literate. I want to eventually use version 8 (when I get
the time to import and tweak all my settings and other information.
Soooo, i Know this isn't a problem with Eudora per se, but I think the
above protocols can't have two versions of a program with the same
name. I am also reticent about reinstalling Eudora 7.1 over the
existing version because I might screw something up. Next step is - I
look at Eudora 7.1's eudora.ini file and see if there's something there
that would make that version the default email program. But I haven't
done this yet. I need to find the definitions of all the line items.

The strange thing is: before I installed Eudora 8 beta, Eudora 7.1
would open (with my wife's data) when I clicked on E-mail at the top of
a folder containing JPEG's. I don't want to resort to System Restore
because I don't remember exactly when I installed Eudora 8 beta.

Hope someone reads this and can help.
From: rmo555 on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:17:56 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>OP seems to want to set default email program in Windows.
>
>Windows has something like "Set Program Access and Defaults"
>
>Choose "Custom" and "Use my current email program," then close it.
>
>In Eudora "Extra Warnings," check-mark
>[x] Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer
>
>Also enter _zero_ minutes under "Checking Mail,"
>to prevent checking mail during the one-time next step,
>then close Eudora. Next step:
>
>Run Eudora once as "administrator" account,
>say that you do want to make it the default mailer,
>then close Eudora.
>
>Does this work (i.e. when you try to mail something,
>does the message start getting composed in Eudora?)

Hello John, my old friend. I have already tried all the steps you
outlined above and they didn't work (the dialog box that asks if you
want to make it the default email program doesn't show up).

To be sure, I just tried it again and had the same results. By
default, Eudora 8 beta is my default email client and I can't get that
dialog box to show up. Like I said, this one is harder to fix than you
think. I suspect it will require me to do something in the Registry.

Bob
From: rmo555 on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:17:56 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>OP seems to want to set default email program in Windows.
>
>Windows has something like "Set Program Access and Defaults"
>
>Choose "Custom" and "Use my current email program," then close it.
>
>In Eudora "Extra Warnings," check-mark
>[x] Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer
>
>Also enter _zero_ minutes under "Checking Mail,"
>to prevent checking mail during the one-time next step,
>then close Eudora. Next step:
>
>Run Eudora once as "administrator" account,
>say that you do want to make it the default mailer,
>then close Eudora.

Forgot to mention that, in order to run Eudora as an Administrator, I
right clicked on the shortcut used to start my wife's version of Eudora
and selected Run As Administrator. I have Eudora 8 beta installed on
my PC because I want to try it out - but it isn't completely configure
so I'm not using it yet.

From: rmo555 on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:08:12 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>Previous observations:
>
>http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=33355
>
>http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=39710
>
>http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=43837
>
>Oh well, at least this time it's not the same old boring thing :)
>
>Sorry!

John, since I'm not currently using Eudora 8 beta, what do you think
would happen if I uninstalled it? It might be just a bandaid until I
want to use it - but would it buy me some time? The other thing is: if
you remember, I am uising Eudora 7.1 - with two sets of data (one for
me and one for my wife). When choosing Email at the top of a folder
containing JPG files, how did the folder know to choose my wife's
version of Eudora 7.1 instead of mine? One more thing, if I install
Eudora 7.1 over the current installation, I think it will override
Eudora 8 beta as the default email client. However, what, if anything,
would I have to reset in my current data files? Any other suggestions?
From: The Learner on
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:16:05 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/16/2010 5:42 PM:
>
>> Since I'm not currently using Eudora 8 beta, what do you think
>> would happen if I uninstalled it?
>>
>> One more thing, if I install Eudora 7.1 over the current installation,
>> I think it will override Eudora 8 beta as the default email client.
>
>I don't see how uninstalling E8 would normally accomplish anything for you.
>
>"Eudora 8" is a version of Thunderbird.
>
>Between all three programs (Thunderbird, E8, and E7),
>there is nothing in common between their default program directories;
>the only normal overlap between any two of these
>is that Thunderbird and E8 normally share the same user data
>"profile" folder (mail, settings, addresses, etc.), which is
>incompatible with and never in the same place as E7 user data.
>
>As to what Windows thinks is the default email program,
>you should be able to make your own choice at any time.
>
>If you make E7 the Windows default, and if there is just one set
>of program files for E7, and if E7 is already running for just one person
>at the time that Windows wants to open E7, then probably the
>already open instance of E7 will start to compose the new message;
>otherwise _some_ instance of E7 will open, depending on exactly
>how you have configured things, and the answer to whose mail will open
>is answered by whichever one actually does open :)
>
>I don't think that the E7 installer offers to make E7 the default email program,
>but if it "registers" Eudora as an email provider and makes "Default programs"
>see it as such, that could be useful (I don't know whether it does or not).
>
>Every time you run the E7 installer, it asks you again
>where to store the programs, and where mail will be stored;
>if you don't always give the same answers, however,
>then this might confuse things.
>
>Your answer to the question about where mail will be stored
>translates into a single line that you will find in file "Deudora.ini"
>(note the initial "D") residing with Eudora's program files;
>this allows one to go back and change the effective answer
>by editing that file later, although it is just as easy
>just run the installer again anyway, and just change the answer.
>
>When E7 is launched and is not already running,
>it looks for its "data" folder via logic detailed in Eudora's
>"Readme.txt" file that's installed with the programs.
>
>Despite all of the above, what is the purpose, anyway,
>of trying to make Windows select a "default email program"?
>
>Is there any situation in which you can not simply first open
>the program you want to use, and then use it to send whatever you want?
>
>Sometimes it hardly pays to worry or work hard
>over something which hardly does any work at all for you, IMO.

My theory is that, because there are two email clients and both of their
executables are Eudora.exe, Vista lists Eudora as one of its' default
programs and Eudora 8 beta is the one most recently installed. I think
the OS can't recognize two or more programs with the same executable.
BTW, how does the OS know which programs are email clients? Thanks,
John.