From: The Learner on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:02:09 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/20/2010 11:17 AM, The Learner wrote:
>
>> I believe the best solution is to just re-install Eudora 7.1 over
>> my current installation. This action should register Eudora 7.1 as a
>> potential email client (my default client). I just need to know if this
>> will over write my settings and which ones.
>
>Eudora settings are stored with the mail, in a file (Eudora.ini)
>
>The classic Eudora installer never writes any settings,
>in fact it never writes any "user" files (nor removes any).
>
>http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1844hq.html
>
>> I now have one installation of Eudora 7.1 - but points to two different settings.
>
>You may have created two shortcuts for launching Eudora,
>each shortcut specifying a different mail "Data" folder
>(one yours, one hers).
>
>I have four shortcuts, each for using a different mail "Data" folder,
>and each mail "Data" folder contains its own completely independent
>and unrelated mail and settings (and addresses, filters, etc.)
>
>Installing (or even uninstalling) Eudora on my computer
>will never affect anything in my four "Data" folders.
>
>The installer doesn't bother with anything but the "Program" files,
>but also [over]writes one more "Program" file named "Deudora.ini"
>(note the leading "D") -- that file remembers your answer
>to the installer's question about where you think your default mail "Data"
>will be -- but when you use program launching shortcuts that explicitly
>point to a mail "Data" folder, these override any install-time answer anyway.
>
>Settings that you make when _running_ Eudora are saved in file
>"Eudora.ini" in your current mail "Data" folder,
>never in the Program Files' "Deudora.ini,"
>which only provides information for starting Eudora
>(it also provides defaults for attachment file type "Mappings,"
>and can contain defaults for other things never explicitly defined in Eudora.ini)

Thanks very much, John. Now I feel a lot safer reinstalling Eudora 7.1
over my current installation. I realize you said this shouldn't work -
but I have nothing to lose. I'll let the thread know what happens.
From: The Learner on
On 19 Feb 2010 16:34:46 GMT, Stan Bischof
<stan(a)newserve.worldbadminton.com> wrote:

>If you are just looking to change default mailer, why not just
>wander by HKCR\mailto\shell\open\command and set whatever you want?
>
>Stan

I think the only way I'll regain Eudora 7.1 as my default email program
is to uninstall E8 beta. I was hoping to, at my liesure, set up E8 and,
eventually us it as my email client. Looks like I won't be able to do
that. Perhaps, if I uninstall it and don't import any E7 settings and
data, I can work with it when I have the time.
From: The Learner on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:27:40 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/20/2010 2:29 PM, The Learner wrote:
>
>> [re-installing 7.1] didn't work.
>> Eudora 8 beta is still my default email client.
>
>Did you see a previous link to Microsoft documentation,
>explaining computer-level vs. user-level default programs?

I must have missed it. Do you mind sending it to me? I've been trying
to read all the links so I learn something. Somehow, I missed this one
and it seems to apply according to what you've written.

>That's the best and most complete source I've ever seen on this topic.
>
>If E8 set a user-level default for your login,
>that could conceivably override the computer-level default
>which Eudora
(7.1 ??)
sets (and which someone else keeps telling you to make,
>but which Eudora can even make for itself).
>
>When there is no user-level default, Eudora's built-in function
>reportedly suffices to set a computer-level default,
>but I'm guessing it might be ineffective if there's a user-level default set.
>
>Microsoft's documentation could lead you to all the Registry paths
>which are involved in default programs, but since I don't have
>a Windows 7 system at hand to play with,
>I can't experiment with it myself

Why Windows 7? I have Vista SP-2.

>(so let Ajo do it :)

Ajo? Who or what is that?

>If you could manage to train your partner
>to perform the very simple act
>of copying the email address from a "mailto" link,
>then pasting it into a new message,
>or to perform attaching files to a message
>by simply dragging them to the open message window,
>all this concern about default programs might become moot.

No way - very against doing something different.

>You can even let *any* program be launched in response
>to anything which causes Windows to select a program,
>then copy the "To:" address from that program,
>then cancel the message and close the other program.

This sounds like a riddle (I didn't understand it at all).

>Or go ahead and send the message from the other program,
>but add a "Bcc:" to yourself (or herself).
>
>Or keep trying -- to promote a film called "Rififi," circa 1955,
>which revolved around an elaborate burglary and safe-cracking,
>a safe was installed at a prominent New York City location,
>and anyone who cared to wait in line had a chance to try to open it,
>for a substantial reward to be found therein.
>
>Someone finally did, and if you keep just trying things,
>perhaps you'll hit on some combination which delivers your prize, too.

I uninstalled E8 beta and I'm back to where I was. Everything fine now.
The only thing is - I don't understand why, when Email is selected in a
photo folder, it defaults to my wife's version and not mine? There's
nothing I did (that I know of) that did this. In any case, it's doing
what I want. But, I want to understand why it chooses my wife's version
(need to learn something).

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rififi
>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048021/

I'll try to get to these links after dinner - or tomorrow.

Thanks, John.
From: PeoplesChoice on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:38:20 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/20/2010 5:27 PM, The Learner wrote:
>
>>> Did you see a previous link to Microsoft documentation,
>>> explaining computer-level vs. user-level default programs?
>
>> I must have missed it.
>
>> Ajo? Who or what is that?
>
>Perhaps your news server isn't capturing all postings for this newsgroup,
>since I posted a Microsoft link earlier, and Ajo is someone who also posted earlier.

John, because of the head pain, I haven't had the time to read other
posts in any of the newsgroups I frequent for a long time - only my own
threads. When I need to know something, I try to do a search first. But,
not much is going on in this newsgroup right now.

>> No way - [spouse is] very against doing something different.
>
>This assures that you will stay together,
>but don't ever move, or the next drive to the new supermarket
>may take a wrong turn and crash ;-)

LOL ;)

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rififi
>>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048021/
>
>> I'll try to get to these links after dinner - or tomorrow.
>
>Maybe you can get the re-released DVD, and watch the movie :)

LOL :)

>> I uninstalled E8 beta and I'm back to where I was. Everything fine now.
>
>This seems to indicate that E8 might have an unintentional bug,
>wiping out "classic" Eudora's registration,
>although it's not yet clear to me whether this is really the case.

That was the indication all along. If you have any influence or contact
with the developers of E8, perhaps you could pass this along.

>> The only thing is - I don't understand why, when Email is selected
>> in a photo folder, it defaults to my wife's version and not mine?
>
>When a chick is hatched, it looks around and says "where's my mother?"

We both use Eudora - every day and frequently (mother and father). I
understand your analogy, but it doesn't seem to fit. A chick is a live
entity. A computer is not. I believe there might be abother reason
that's more technical. I wish I knew the answer because I like to learn.

>When Eudora is launched, it looks around and says "where's my mail folder?"

Since I placed my wife's folder where Eudora WANTS to place it
(C:\Users\Carol\AppData\Roamimh\Qualcomm\Eudora), perhaps that's the
answer. MY data folder is in C:\Data\Bob's Eudora Data.

>The logic Eudora follows is explained in its "readme.txt" file
>(at "Finding the data folder"), and it's a long story,
>although the story ends right at step 1
>for program launching shortcuts specifying a data folder path,
>or when dragging and dropping a folder onto Eudora.exe

I'll have to re-read the readme.txt when I can - but perhaps that part
might be over my head. When I can't find an answer or can't understand
the explanation I'm given (or don't trust it), I turn to people that are
smarter than me (or, in some cases, pretend to be). I think I'm pretty
good at separating the wheat from the chaff. I won't take advice unless
I think it looks reasonable or I can easily back out of it.

>You are lucky that it picks your wife, or else, given the above
>inflexibility, you might have had to move out :)

At my age, I don't think that will ever happen (65). I think I'll stay
away from the supermarket. Thanks, John.
From: PeoplesChoice on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:38:20 -0600, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/20/2010 5:27 PM, The Learner wrote:
>
>>> Did you see a previous link to Microsoft documentation,
>>> explaining computer-level vs. user-level default programs?
>
>> I must have missed it.
>
>> Ajo? Who or what is that?
>
>Perhaps your news server isn't capturing all postings for this newsgroup,
>since I posted a Microsoft link earlier, and Ajo is someone who also posted earlier.
>
>> No way - [spouse is] very against doing something different.
>
>This assures that you will stay together,
>but don't ever move, or the next drive to the new supermarket
>may take a wrong turn and crash ;-)
>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rififi
>>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048021/
>
>> I'll try to get to these links after dinner - or tomorrow.
>
>Maybe you can get the re-released DVD, and watch the movie :)
>
>> I uninstalled E8 beta and I'm back to where I was. Everything fine now.
>
>This seems to indicate that E8 might have an unintentional bug,
>wiping out "classic" Eudora's registration,
>although it's not yet clear to me whether this is really the case.
>
>> The only thing is - I don't understand why, when Email is selected
>> in a photo folder, it defaults to my wife's version and not mine?
>
>When a chick is hatched, it looks around and says "where's my mother?"
>
>When Eudora is launched, it looks around and says "where's my mail folder?"
>
>The logic Eudora follows is explained in its "readme.txt" file
>(at "Finding the data folder"), and it's a long story,
>although the story ends right at step 1
>for program launching shortcuts specifying a data folder path,
>or when dragging and dropping a folder onto Eudora.exe
>
>You are lucky that it picks your wife, or else, given the above
>inflexibility, you might have had to move out :)

Psst: Don't tell anybody I have more than one Persona - and I screwed up
on my last post to you.