From: Rob on
Gregg Hill <greggmhill> wrote:
> Rob,
>
> Maybe I have the wrong understanding of keep-alives. I keep seeing them
> recommended to be enabled to stabilize flaky WAN links.
>
> One site mentions that "This will also help prevent disconnects by
> preventing network devices from killing off sockets that it assumes to be
> idle." In my experience with TS sessions that drop, enabling keep-alives has
> always helped. Of course, if the WAN link is too flaky, not much will help!

Maybe the literature you reference is talking about NAT devices.
There, keepalives will help.

But in cases where the network is sometimes interrupted, they do not
help. They make things worse, because there is extra traffic that
needs to be replied to or else the connection will break.

Normally, an idle TCP connection sends no traffic so it cannot detect
that there is no link at all. When keepalives are enabled, an idle
link sends traffic, network unreachable ICMP packets may be returned,
and those make Windows break the connection.
From: Bob Campbell on
Isn't Verizon Wireless 3G available in western Nebraska? The cost is $40 per
month for 250 MB and $60 per month for 5 GB.

My server is WS 2008 and I'm having great results running computers using 3G
from very remote locations.

BTW, Verizon Wireless is selling the HP Mini 311 for only $199.99.

Bob