From: zooeyhallne on
My company has several remote offices that need to run a company application
via a Terminal Server session on the server back at the Main Office.

They have this application up and running all day, as basically it is used
for all company counter sales, etc.

One of our locations relies on a wireless ISP connection that is not the
best quality.

They experience frequent disconnects of the TS session. The disconnects are
random and it may work fine for several hours and then start disconnecting
every 10 minutes or so.

Other company locations are able to run TS sessions with no problems (they
can be up all day with no disconnects).

My question is: Is there a setting or something I can change to make our
remote TS connections more robust? So that they don't just "drop dead" at
the first sign of some network flakiness? We are running Windows 2000 TS on
XP Pro computers.

Is Windows Server 2008 Terminal Server better at keeping stable RDP sessions?

Thanks for any advice!

From: Leythos on
In article <C1688AF0-413A-4945-B8A8-B9FC0111678E(a)microsoft.com>,
zooeyhallne(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...
> My question is: Is there a setting or something I can change to make our
> remote TS connections more robust? So that they don't just "drop dead" at
> the first sign of some network flakiness? We are running Windows 2000 TS on
> XP Pro computers.

Your problem is not something that can be fixed by TS/XP, it's your
internet service at that location.

Change providers. In many cases you can get a T1 with multiple phone
lines, in a package, for under $200/month - making a T1 viable in
locations that a few years ago were $1500/month.

Trust yourself.
From: Rob on
zooeyhallne <zooeyhallne(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My question is: Is there a setting or something I can change to make our
> remote TS connections more robust? So that they don't just "drop dead" at
> the first sign of some network flakiness? We are running Windows 2000 TS on
> XP Pro computers.

The issue is that Windows TCP/IP seems to favor "quick detection of
network problems" (by resetting the session) over a bit more reliability.

There are many things, like unplugging the ethernet cable of a computer
for a few seconds, or the return of a single "destination unreachable"
from a router, that make Windows immediately reset the connection where
it could be a bit more patient and retry a few times.

We have a location with a primary and backup connection where we have the
same issue. When the primary connection fails, the (Cisco) router starts
returning "destination unreachable" for a second or two while it establishes
the backup path, and then continues to route traffic.
But this short event is enough to reset all active connections.

I have searched for a solution but I never found any tuning you can do
in Windows to change this behaviour. It is probably the same problem that
you are experiencing.
From: zooeyhallne on
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know it is probably flakiness on the part of
the ISP. Unfortunately, this location is out in a rural area in Western
Nebraska and even though I have inquired about T1 for this location--and even
though many have told me that "it's much cheaper then it used to be"--I have
still to find one that would cost less then $500-800 /month.

From: zooeyhallne on
Rob:

Thanks for the reply. Yes...just like you say it seems as though Terminal
Services Session/RDP just "drops dead" at the first little jiggle in the
connection. I had hoped that there would have been some sort of tweak to fix
the disconnect sensitivity (or resets as you call them). But no research has
yet turned it up for me.