From: Trev on

"Mason C" <masonc2XXX(a)XXXearthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:57:52 GMT, "Fred Hiltz" <not(a)home.ca> wrote:
>
>>Mason C wrote:

> snipped extraneous
>
>>> Trev and Fred got me onto Effects, Artistic Effects, Halftone
>>> and thanks, it will work for me.
>>>
>>> One slight problem: the half-tone dots join into the border
>>> lines with the effect of thickening the lines in an irregular
>>> way. (this doesn't happen if I print the gray graphic and
>>> scan it -- tedious halftone)
>>
>>That is hard for me to visualize, but guessing at what you are
>>seeing, how about adding the border after making the halftone
>>effect? Apparently you do not want the border itself to be halftone.
>>
>>Could you post a sample image somewhere, or switch to the Corel PSP
>>newsgroups where attachments are permitted?
>
> I looked at Corel groups and found things confusing -- I try later.
>
> Here's a sample:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~frontal-lobe/halftonesample.gif
>
> Along the lines are large dots that make the line look rough and
> thicker.
>
> My procedure:
>
> 1. On an outline drawing (think map of U.S. showing states)
> I fill in the areas with four well-chosen light colors.
>
> 2. In Effects, Artistic Effects, Halftone I use "Round 6 dots,
> RGB all at same angel, check and Overlay 100"
>
> Then with some labor I reduce this to black and white.
>
> The result is ok except for the annoying dots on the lines.
> It seems that the PSP halftone algorithm wants to halftone the
> black lines. The printer does not do this when it halftones
> gray areas.
>
> I do not know how to add border lines to an area having
> only different colors to distinguish them. Magic wand will
> delineate them, but then what to do? And if the area is
> only dots the wand won't work.
>
> Mason C

Some thought's.
When you made your initial selection to fill in you could have saved the
selection to alpha channel to recall later Give it a name for each one the
limit is something like 100 channels.
You cold have promoted to a layer enabling the processing to be limited to
just that layer and all flattened at the end.
see also selections modify > select selection borders where you can add a
border around a selection (see first thought) inside of or out side or both.

From: Fred Hiltz on
Mason C wrote:
[snip]
> I looked at Corel groups and found things confusing -- I try
> later.
>
> Here's a sample:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~frontal-lobe/halftonesample.gif

Excellent! Trev has answered the halftone question. The Corel
newsgroups work just like this one in OE. JoeB posted all their
addresses last Friday, Aug 10, in the "How to create 'auroras'"
thread. Click on one of the addresses to open it in OE.
--
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com

From: Mason C on
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:27:26 +0100, "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:

>"Mason C" <masonc2XXX(a)XXXearthlink.net> wrote in message

>> snipped extraneous

>>>That is hard for me to visualize, but guessing at what you are
>>>seeing, how about adding the border after making the halftone
>>>effect? Apparently you do not want the border itself to be halftone.
>>>
>>>Could you post a sample image somewhere, or switch to the Corel PSP
>>>newsgroups where attachments are permitted?
>>
>> I looked at Corel groups and found things confusing -- I try later.
>>
>> Here's a sample:
>>
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~frontal-lobe/halftonesample.gif
>>
>> Along the lines are large dots that make the line look rough and
>> thicker.
>>
>> My procedure:
>>
>> 1. On an outline drawing (think map of U.S. showing states)
>> I fill in the areas with four well-chosen light colors.
>>
>> 2. In Effects, Artistic Effects, Halftone I use "Round 6 dots,
>> RGB all at same angel, check and Overlay 100"
>>
>> Then with some labor I reduce this to black and white.
>>
>> The result is ok except for the annoying dots on the lines.
>> It seems that the PSP halftone algorithm wants to halftone the
>> black lines. The printer does not do this when it halftones
>> gray areas.
>>
>> I do not know how to add border lines to an area having
>> only different colors to distinguish them. Magic wand will
>> delineate them, but then what to do? And if the area is
>> only dots the wand won't work.
>>
>> Mason C
>
>Some thought's.
>When you made your initial selection to fill in you could have saved the
>selection to alpha channel to recall later Give it a name for each one the
>limit is something like 100 channels.
>You cold have promoted to a layer enabling the processing to be limited to
>just that layer and all flattened at the end.
>see also selections modify > select selection borders where you can add a
>border around a selection (see first thought) inside of or out side or both.

Oye Oye Oye and Wow! This project is getting out of hand.
Maybe I can bring it back to Earth:

1. Have an outline "map" -- a line illustration needing gray areas.
2. Color it pastels or grays. The choices are critical but once you have
them.... (for me r, g, and b = 165, 185, 195, 215 grays look good).
3. Print-to-file to a postscript printer (no need to have the printer).
4. With GhostScript Viewer, convert the ps file to a bitmap.

Now you've got a half-toned graphic. ( I thought I had a new idea
but found not so.) But this sure beats laboring in PSP.

Time needed to half-tone a tinted map: about ten seconds
tapping a few buttons.

And I still don't understand why PSP can't do what every black/white
printer driver can do. (I did pick up a hint that Adobe does it.)

Mason C

From: Mason C on
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:16:42 GMT, Mason C <masonc2XXX(a)XXXearthlink.net> wrote:

>I have maps with gray nations. For the printer these need
>to be halftone.
>
>I can laser print and produce a halftone, then scan at high
>resolution to get a halftone image. This works in principle but
>not very good in practice on my machines.
>
>Is there any way to convert gray to halftone directly in PSP?
>
>I know the "reduce to two colors" is a possibility but the
>printer may not like Stucki, Floyd, Burkes dots.
>
>If my printer can make halftones, why can't PSP?
>
> Mason C

Having asked the question and tried alternatives, it's only
fair to display my "final" solution: using postscript:

http://masonc.home.netcom.com/half-tones.html

PSP plays only a secondary role in this: to make the
original graphic and to recover it from Ghostscript.
The method, once established, is very quick and simple.

Mason C

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Paint Shop Pro 7.04 ?