From: Mason C on
I have maps with gray nations. For the printer these need
to be halftone.

I can laser print and produce a halftone, then scan at high
resolution to get a halftone image. This works in principle but
not very good in practice on my machines.

Is there any way to convert gray to halftone directly in PSP?

I know the "reduce to two colors" is a possibility but the
printer may not like Stucki, Floyd, Burkes dots.

If my printer can make halftones, why can't PSP?

Mason C

From: Trev on

"Mason C" <masonc2XXX(a)XXXearthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have maps with gray nations. For the printer these need
> to be halftone.
>
> I can laser print and produce a halftone, then scan at high
> resolution to get a halftone image. This works in principle but
> not very good in practice on my machines.
>
> Is there any way to convert gray to halftone directly in PSP?
>
> I know the "reduce to two colors" is a possibility but the
> printer may not like Stucki, Floyd, Burkes dots.
>
> If my printer can make halftones, why can't PSP?
>
> Mason C
Its more an effect then the use of a Line screen But effects artistic
halftone will add dots.

From: Fred Hiltz on
Trev wrote:
> "Mason C" <masonc2XXX(a)XXXearthlink.net> wrote:
>> Is there any way to convert gray to halftone directly in PSP?
>>
>> If my printer can make halftones, why can't PSP?
>
> Its more an effect then the use of a Line screen But effects
> artistic halftone will add dots.

You have chosen not to reveal your version, but PSP 8 and later set
the screen properties with this Effects > Artistic Effects >
Halftone. There's a plug-in for earlier versions.
--
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com

From: RonV on
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:16:42 GMT, Mason C
<masonc2XXX(a)XXXearthlink.net> wrote:

>I have maps with gray nations. For the printer these need
>to be halftone.
>
>I can laser print and produce a halftone, then scan at high
>resolution to get a halftone image. This works in principle but
>not very good in practice on my machines.
>
>Is there any way to convert gray to halftone directly in PSP?
>
>I know the "reduce to two colors" is a possibility but the
>printer may not like Stucki, Floyd, Burkes dots.
>
>If my printer can make halftones, why can't PSP?
>
> Mason C
All versions can do a color reduction.

as an example, in v7, do a
Colors>Color Reduction>2

Set Gray, then Error Diffusion with one of the 3 modes:
Floyd, Burkes, or Stucki

Then weighted or un weighted.

I'd make up a test image of combinations of the 3 x 2 selections and
print to see which reduction creates the most pleasing effect on your
printer. And be sure to print at one pixel to one printer dot to get
the best effect.

Set the size of the image first, using your printer's dpi value to set
the PPI value in PSP. Then do the above conversion.

Ron

From: Mason C on
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:16:42 GMT, Mason C <masonc2XXX(a)XXXearthlink.net> wrote:

>I have maps with gray nations. For the printer these need
>to be halftone.
>
>I can laser print and produce a halftone, then scan at high
>resolution to get a halftone image. This works in principle but
>not very good in practice on my machines.
>
>Is there any way to convert gray to halftone directly in PSP?
>
>I know the "reduce to two colors" is a possibility but the
>printer may not like Stucki, Floyd, Burkes dots.
>
>If my printer can make halftones, why can't PSP?
>
> Mason C

PSP 8.01 "Effects artistic halftone" is what I needed.

I had looked in Help for "halftone" and found nothing so
assumed there was nothing. I might never have found it.

Thanks ever so much for all the time you've saved me.

Mason C ( I'll post my book someday )

awww, cheez, I posted the wrong place !
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3