From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"marc" <marc.tessis(a)caramail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> On 2 d�c, 23:38, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
>> There are lots of parsers available. This one is a simple way to get
>> started:
>> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/markupclass.aspx
>
> Horrible and useless !

On the contrary, I believe Tom's suggestion is a good one.

> Simply use Win32 native COM XML interfaces : tons of samples in MSDN .

Yes, with the added complexity of COM.

Giovanni

From: DanB on
Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
> "marc" <marc.tessis(a)caramail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> On 2 d�c, 23:38, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
>>> There are lots of parsers available. This one is a simple way to get
>>> started:
>>> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/markupclass.aspx
>>
>> Horrible and useless !
>
> On the contrary, I believe Tom's suggestion is a good one.

Yes, I think that was the one I started with, the date is right...

>> Simply use Win32 native COM XML interfaces : tons of samples in MSDN .
>
> Yes, with the added complexity of COM.

And why I evolved it. What I ended up with was a wrapper that looks
somewhat like the above markup class with tiny as the engine, so I would
have access to xpath. My wrapper will also create nodes on the fly if
the 'can create' flag is set. You don't have to mess with the xml when
you make changes. Versioning is seamless. It can create whole xml files
just from use.

<http://lakeweb.net/MFC/xml.h>

I think tiny is deficient and someday I'll replace the tiny engine with
MSXML. I've had to resort to MSXML because of this. But because of the
wrapper, I should not have to do anything at the app level if I do
change engines.

I've put the solution up before and will do so again if there is interest.

Best, Dan.
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 02:15:16 -0800 (PST), marc <marc.tessis(a)caramail.com> wrote:

>On 2 d�c, 23:38, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
>> There are lots of parsers available. �This one is a simple way to get
>> started:
>> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/markupclass.aspx
>
>Horrible and useless !
****
Is this one of those "any code not written by Microsoft is flawed beyond redemption and
Microsoft code is perfect" posts? Sounds like it.

Hint to OP: ignore this twit.
****
>Simply use Win32 native COM XML interfaces : tons of samples in MSDN .
****
Now, if you want horrible, that pretty much describes the COM XML interfaces...
joe
****
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Actually, I needed an XML parser-in-a-hurry a few months ago, so I wrote my own. Took
only 6 hours. No, it only handles input files in 8-bit text or in Unicode, but that met
the requirements I had. I also did it because I wanted to prove that if your needs are
modest, you can write an XML parser in an afternoon. When I finish the project, I'll
write an article on it.

It includes the ability to add nodes at any time.
joe

From: Tom Serface on
I don't use it directly, but I've heard from lots of people that, for simple
XML parsing, think it is easy and pretty quick. They also have an upgrade
for around $250 that wraps just about anything so there is an upgrade path.

I use Xerces, but I don't recommend it and wish we weren't so heavily coded
into it.

Doing this stuff in .NET is so easy. Too bad they can't add something to MFC
to make it easier as well.

Tom