From: Vaclav on
On 3 dic, 21:08, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
> I don't use it directly, but I've heard from lots of people that, for simple
> XML parsing, think it is easy and pretty quick.  They also have an upgrade
> for around $250 that wraps just about anything so there is an upgrade path.
>
> I use Xerces, but I don't recommend it and wish we weren't so heavily coded
> into it.
>
> Doing this stuff in .NET is so easy. Too bad they can't add something to MFC
> to make it easier as well.
>
> Tom
>
> "marc" <marc.tes...(a)caramail.com> wrote in message

> On 2 déc, 23:38, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
>
> > There are lots of parsers available. This one is a simple way to get
> > started:
> >http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/markupclass.aspx
>
> Horrible and useless !
> Simply use Win32 native COM XML interfaces : tons of samples  in MSDN .

I can recommend parser from http://www.firstobject.com/
Works fine with VS6. As easy as .NET in my opinion.

Vaclav
From: David Webber on

"marathoner" <rajk2000(a)msn.com.invalid> wrote in message

>I would like to know how to read an XML file in Visual C++ 6.0

I too am returning to XML after a break, and I need to run before I can
walk: I pretty much need the full DOM to parse a complicated format defined
in a DTD.

When folk refer to the Windows interface for XML - is that what I used to
call MSXML4 (or related) and is it part of Windows from XP onwards? (I
was beginning to get the hang of that a couple of years ago.)

Dave
--
David Webber
Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'

From: Tom Serface on
The www.firstobject.com CMarkup pro version handles just about everything.
I'm not sure if it validates against a DTD though. I don't think MSXML does
either. You could take a look at Xerces. It's huge and kind of terse to
work with, but it always works and does just about anything.

Tom

From: David Webber on

"Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com> wrote in message

> The www.firstobject.com CMarkup pro version handles just about everything.
> I'm not sure if it validates against a DTD though. I don't think MSXML
> does either. You could take a look at Xerces. It's huge and kind of
> terse to work with, but it always works and does just about anything.

Thanks, I'll take a look at Xerces.

My main outstanding problem with MSXML - which I didn't know how to solve at
all, but there must be a way - is that validating against a DTD required an
open internet connection so it could find the DTD, and the whole thing just
didn't work without. My objective is to read files in a Music XML format
(called MusicXML <g>) and it has noting really to do with the internet, but
the DTD is on the site belonging to the originators of the format.

Dave

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Why would you need an open network connection to validate against a DTD?

First, the DTD could be part of the XML file itself

It could be in your resources

It could be a file on the user's machine

Personally, I'd vote for putting it in the resources.
joe

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 09:39:59 -0000, "David Webber" <dave(a)musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>"Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com> wrote in message
>
>> The www.firstobject.com CMarkup pro version handles just about everything.
>> I'm not sure if it validates against a DTD though. I don't think MSXML
>> does either. You could take a look at Xerces. It's huge and kind of
>> terse to work with, but it always works and does just about anything.
>
>Thanks, I'll take a look at Xerces.
>
>My main outstanding problem with MSXML - which I didn't know how to solve at
>all, but there must be a way - is that validating against a DTD required an
>open internet connection so it could find the DTD, and the whole thing just
>didn't work without. My objective is to read files in a Music XML format
>(called MusicXML <g>) and it has noting really to do with the internet, but
>the DTD is on the site belonging to the originators of the format.
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com