From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I am in favor of the Internet whenever it improves my productivity

I am against it when it actively interferes with my productivity

I use remote desktop extensively, particularly in the summer, so I can work on all my
machines from my back porch (last week I took delivery of my custom-built outdoor rocking
chair which is equipped with a built-in desk for my laptop).

I do not answer email while traveling, because I get over 600 spam messages every day; the
Web mail interface comes ahead of my filters and I get the "raw" messages, so finding the
real messages in the mess is a horrendous waste of my time.

I would seriously consider a VPN interface to my local machine, but it is hard to
establish a linkage across dynamic IPs to my router and two levels of internal router, so
I haven't bothered.

I absolutely require that all useful files I need to work while traveling be installed
locally on my laptop.

Cloud computing requires that I trust the cloud to not evaporate. I've known this to
happen far too often in the past (but not to me); one friend was forced into bankruptcy
when all his files were lost when the service went out of business. After several years,
he has not succeeded in retrieving the files, and there are still several legal cases
pending against the corporation, its principals, the bank that shut down the service by
calling in the debt, etc. (he not only has cases, but is part of some class action suit,
but I haven't seen him in several years so I don't know if anything has ever been
resolved).

Most other forms of distributed computing seem to require running scripts and ActiveVirus
code from unknown sources. And you know my feeling on that!
joe

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:42:02 -0800, "David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

>"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message
>> But, suppose that you want to make a movie with your camera of your 3 year
>> old to save the beautiful moments for the future: if you want to do some
>> video editing, then burning the DVD, etc. then I think that you really
>> need a desktop PC.
>> I have no idea of the quality of the throughput band of your Internet
>> connection, but here it would be *very slow* to upload the movie bits from
>> the videocamera to some web site, then do videoediting remotely, then
>> transferring back to local PC to burn a DVD.
>> I think that videoediting is an example of application that is better done
>> locally.
>>

>Sure, multimedia is still something that you must do locally. But what
>about something like Visual Studio development? I wouldn't be adverse to
>running Visual Studio in the cloud assuming the source code I'm working on
>can be safe. IOW, if MS created Visual Studio Live, I would be willing to
>try it out.
>

>-- David
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com