From: Ralph Böhme on
Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> schrieb:
> gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
>>I'm familiar with the drill in Linux and also in Windows, but not too
>>clear on what the BSD-ish commands are.

>>It seems like it is dynamic, like in Windows - you don't really have to
>>do anything - it just works, if you have DHCP. But the problems with
>>this are:
>> 1) What if it doesn't "just work"? I.e., what if it doesn't

> You do it through their graphic Network control panel.

> If you don't do it through the control panel, then it most likely won't work,
> especially upon a reboot. Pretty much anything on OSX you take matters
> into your own hands if you deviate from using Apple's graphic tools at all.

Depends on the tool you use. networksetup is your friend here.
man networksetup

hth
-Ralph

--
s/-nsp// for mail
From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <hgn1tm$nve$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
Ralph Böhme <ralph-nsp(a)rsrc.de> wrote:
>> If you don't do it through the control panel, then it most likely won't work,
>> especially upon a reboot. Pretty much anything on OSX you take matters
>> into your own hands if you deviate from using Apple's graphic tools at all.
>
>Depends on the tool you use. networksetup is your friend here.
>man networksetup

$ man networksetup
No manual entry for networksetup
$

From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <4b2eee82$0$33862$8046368a(a)newsreader.iphouse.net>,
Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> wrote:
>Since the TCP/IP system is based on FreeBSD, you can use ifconfig to
>temporarily change interface items, where you can do things like
>'ifconfig alias'.

That's what I am interested in. I've always found the man pages (for
the networking commands) in Solaris/BSD systems to be cryptic and
unhelpful.

I assume it is this way by design.

>But, the configuration storage across reboots is stored in a
>not-user-servicable container in darwin, and it only supports what
>the graphic control panel does, so there's not much point in messing
>around low-level for it. Even if you figured it out, it'd just change
>in the next rev (which does happen quite often).

I'm not too concerned with storage-across-reboots. The main goal here
is to avoid rebooting. In fact, the primary focus is this: I make a
change to the networking environment (imagine: change ISPs) and want the
machine to adapt to the new situation. Since it is all "automatic",
there's nothing you can do to make it happen; you just have to wait and
hope. Just like in Windows...

Obviously, rebooting would probably fix it, but that's what we are
trying to avoid.

From: Golden California Girls on
Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <hgn1tm$nve$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
> Ralph Böhme <ralph-nsp(a)rsrc.de> wrote:
>>> If you don't do it through the control panel, then it most likely won't work,
>>> especially upon a reboot. Pretty much anything on OSX you take matters
>>> into your own hands if you deviate from using Apple's graphic tools at all.
>> Depends on the tool you use. networksetup is your friend here.
>> man networksetup
>
> $ man networksetup
> No manual entry for networksetup
> $

What version are you running?

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/networksetup.8.html

From: Barry Margolin on
In article <hgo4l7$g9m$2(a)news.xmission.com>,
gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

> In article <4b2eee82$0$33862$8046368a(a)newsreader.iphouse.net>,
> Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> wrote:
> >Since the TCP/IP system is based on FreeBSD, you can use ifconfig to
> >temporarily change interface items, where you can do things like
> >'ifconfig alias'.
>
> That's what I am interested in. I've always found the man pages (for
> the networking commands) in Solaris/BSD systems to be cryptic and
> unhelpful.
>
> I assume it is this way by design.
>
> >But, the configuration storage across reboots is stored in a
> >not-user-servicable container in darwin, and it only supports what
> >the graphic control panel does, so there's not much point in messing
> >around low-level for it. Even if you figured it out, it'd just change
> >in the next rev (which does happen quite often).
>
> I'm not too concerned with storage-across-reboots. The main goal here
> is to avoid rebooting. In fact, the primary focus is this: I make a
> change to the networking environment (imagine: change ISPs) and want the
> machine to adapt to the new situation. Since it is all "automatic",
> there's nothing you can do to make it happen; you just have to wait and
> hope. Just like in Windows...
>
> Obviously, rebooting would probably fix it, but that's what we are
> trying to avoid.

If you don't need it to persist, most of the BSD-style configurations
should work. ifconfig will change interface settings, and editing
/etc/resolv.conf will update the DNS resolver.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA