From: Kenny McCormack on
I'm familiar with the drill in Linux and also in Windows, but not too
clear on what the BSD-ish commands are.

It seems like it is dynamic, like in Windows - you don't really have to
do anything - it just works, if you have DHCP. But the problems with
this are:
1) What if it doesn't "just work"? I.e., what if it doesn't
configure itself right? I've found that if you wait long enough, it
usually fixes itself, but the question is, how long to wait? And
obviously, anything that includes phrases like "if you wait long
enough..." isn't a good solution.
2) And what if you want to set it up for fixed IP?

As I said, I'm quite familiar with how to do this stuff in Linux.
Having worked on a Solaris system, I have, a few times, brute forced it
there, but I don't remember what the commands are.

Please help.

From: Doug McIntyre on
gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
>I'm familiar with the drill in Linux and also in Windows, but not too
>clear on what the BSD-ish commands are.

>It seems like it is dynamic, like in Windows - you don't really have to
>do anything - it just works, if you have DHCP. But the problems with
>this are:
> 1) What if it doesn't "just work"? I.e., what if it doesn't

You do it through their graphic Network control panel.

If you don't do it through the control panel, then it most likely won't work,
especially upon a reboot. Pretty much anything on OSX you take matters
into your own hands if you deviate from using Apple's graphic tools at all.

OOTH, if you follow along using the their graphic control panels, then
things work all the time.

From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <4b2ec33e$0$47485$8046368a(a)newsreader.iphouse.net>,
Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> wrote:
>You do it through their graphic Network control panel.
>
>If you don't do it through the control panel, then it most likely won't work,
>especially upon a reboot. Pretty much anything on OSX you take matters
>into your own hands if you deviate from using Apple's graphic tools at all.

You are probably right, but (obviously) that wasn't the answer I was
looking for. Had it been, I'd probably have posted to some Mac group,
rather than a Unix one.

From: William Ahern on
Kenny McCormack <gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> In article <4b2ec33e$0$47485$8046368a(a)newsreader.iphouse.net>,
> Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> wrote:
> >You do it through their graphic Network control panel.
> >
> >If you don't do it through the control panel, then it most likely won't work,
> >especially upon a reboot. Pretty much anything on OSX you take matters
> >into your own hands if you deviate from using Apple's graphic tools at all.

> You are probably right, but (obviously) that wasn't the answer I was
> looking for. Had it been, I'd probably have posted to some Mac group,
> rather than a Unix one.

OS X isn't BSD'ish in this regard. Though it looks that way superficially
because it makes a modicum of effort to write-out certain configurations to
/etc/resolv.conf, /etc/passwd, etc, which they expect might be needed by
some of the FOSS software they ship, in general everything is either NeXt
derived at best, or of pure OS X breeding.

If want to interact with these systems from the commandline... I dunno where
to point you, nor off-hand do I know the details. Their man pages are decent
and surpisingly comprehensive (though that's relative). You should grep
through them.

From: Doug McIntyre on
gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
>In article <4b2ec33e$0$47485$8046368a(a)newsreader.iphouse.net>,
>Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> wrote:
>>You do it through their graphic Network control panel.
>>
>>If you don't do it through the control panel, then it most likely won't work,
>>especially upon a reboot. Pretty much anything on OSX you take matters
>>into your own hands if you deviate from using Apple's graphic tools at all.

>You are probably right, but (obviously) that wasn't the answer I was
>looking for. Had it been, I'd probably have posted to some Mac group,
>rather than a Unix one.

Since the TCP/IP system is based on FreeBSD, you can use ifconfig to
temporarily change interface items, where you can do things like
'ifconfig alias'.

But, the configuration storage across reboots is stored in a
not-user-servicable container in darwin, and it only supports what
the graphic control panel does, so there's not much point in messing
around low-level for it. Even if you figured it out, it'd just change
in the next rev (which does happen quite often).