From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <hgqgvr$7ko$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
Ralph Böhme <ralph-nsp(a)rsrc.de> wrote:
>In 10.4 afair it was not part of the base system, but part of ARDAgent.app
>$ find /System -name '*networksetup*' -print
>/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup-jaguar
>/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup-panther
>
>I can't remember though if you can use networksetup-panther on tiger.

I did that 'find' command and it found networksetup-panther.

How do I run it? Will it work?

From: Ralph Böhme on
Kenny McCormack <gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com> schrieb:
> In article <hgqgvr$7ko$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
> Ralph Böhme <ralph-nsp(a)rsrc.de> wrote:
>>In 10.4 afair it was not part of the base system, but part of ARDAgent.app
>>$ find /System -name '*networksetup*' -print
>>/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup-jaguar
>>/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup-panther
>>
>>I can't remember though if you can use networksetup-panther on tiger.

> I did that 'find' command and it found networksetup-panther.
> How do I run it? Will it work?

If you weren't able to find that by yourself, I'd recommend
staying with the GUI.

-Ralph

--
s/-nsp// for mail
From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <hgqkn2$efq$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
Ralph Böhme <ralph-nsp(a)rsrc.de> wrote:
>Kenny McCormack <gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com> schrieb:
>> In article <hgqgvr$7ko$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
>> Ralph Böhme <ralph-nsp(a)rsrc.de> wrote:
>>>In 10.4 afair it was not part of the base system, but part of ARDAgent.app
>>>$ find /System -name '*networksetup*' -print
>>>/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup-jaguar
>>>/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup-panther
>>>
>>>I can't remember though if you can use networksetup-panther on tiger.
>
>> I did that 'find' command and it found networksetup-panther.
>> How do I run it? Will it work?
>
>If you weren't able to find that by yourself, I'd recommend
>staying with the GUI.

Funny guy. But don't quit your day job, OK?

From: rc on
On Dec 21, 4:36 pm, gaze...(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
wrote:
> I'm not too concerned with storage-across-reboots.  The main goal here
> is to avoid rebooting.  In fact, the primary focus is this: I make a
> change to the networking environment (imagine: change ISPs) and want the
> machine to adapt to the new situation.  Since it is all "automatic",
> there's nothing you can do to make it happen; you just have to wait and
> hope.  Just like in Windows...
>
> Obviously, rebooting would probably fix it, but that's what we are
> trying to avoid.

What you want to do works great with OS X 10.4 Network Locations.
Automatic isn't your only choice, just define all the different
environments you may encounter in System Preferences (e.g. DNS
Servers, DHCP Settings etc.), then choose the location (from the top-
left Apple menu). Works all the time without rebooting.

If there are additional stuff you want to do (e.g. you can't define
static routes in the graphical utilites), you can select the location
from a shell script with the scselect utility.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

Cheers, Christian

--
rc at networkz dot ch