From: Howard Brazee on
On 26 May 2010 17:30:30 GMT, billg999(a)cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon)
wrote:

>> It is easier to move a company's IT offshore than its lawn mowing.
>
>I don't really believe that is true. What is true is that too many
>companies see so little reason for staying here they are willing to
>accept the rather sizable risk in off-shoring.

I won't argue your second statement, but I see it as a non-sequitor to
mine.

As long as the lawn is here, the mowing has to be here. But
companies do decide to move programming off shore with local computers
or at least terminals.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:44:02 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>>It is easier to move a company's IT offshore than its lawn mowing.
>
>It is as easy to move a company's lawn mowing offshore as it is to move
>its headquarters, entire.

I suppose there is a direct relationship between how much mowing is
done offshore and how much lawn is offshore, headquarters or retail or
branch offices, or whatever.

By the time the company no longer exists on-shore then it should have
a different definition of "off-shore".

Meanwhile my workplace has developers logging into our local computers
from India.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On 26 May 2010 17:27:51 GMT, billg999(a)cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon)
wrote:

>> I do not see the IT business in the USA as being in any sort of different
>> condition than any other business in the USA... but perhaps my vision is
>> limited, aye.
>>

>Sadly. I agree. But that doesn't decrease the cesspool that the IT
>indistry is sinking into. And, as a real IT Professional I am more
>concerned about my art than others.

As a taxpayer, a parent, and a grandparent who will soon retire, I am
more concerned about the economy as a whole and the current tendency
to borrow from the future to make short term decisions.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:52:16 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>Just the other day I mentioned William Edwards Deming to a project
>leader... who had never heard of the fellow, of course.

Sad that you can put "of course" in that above sentence.

- James Madison
From: Alistair Maclean on
On May 26, 7:44 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:44:02 +0000 (UTC), docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> >>It is easier to move a company's IT offshore than its lawn mowing.
>
> >It is as easy to move a company's lawn mowing offshore as it is to move
> >its headquarters, entire.
>
> I suppose there is a direct relationship between how much mowing is
> done offshore and how much lawn is offshore, headquarters or retail or
> branch offices, or whatever.
>
> By the time the company no longer exists on-shore then it should have
> a different definition of "off-shore".
>
> Meanwhile my workplace has developers logging into our local computers
> from India.

On the internet, sales tax can be applied if the purchaser, vendor,
warehouse or web site is based/hosted in a geographic location where
sales tax (or VAT) is applicable. Perhaps the EU and USA governments
should start to collect income tax from employers for their off-shore
developers using local computers? :-)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Suppressing Cobol print messages